Enpass Discussion Forum

How secure is the Enpass Backup file?

vikas027

Hey Guys,
First of all kudos to you guys to develop such an awesome piece of software. I have just migrated my stuff to Enpass on my Mac l and loving it so far. This is definitely one of the best offline password managers I have seen by far.

While playing around with the software, I have noticed it automatically creates a backup file with an extension .enpassbackup.

Like most of the other software, this file is what a hacker would need to brute force an attack on to decrypt all the secrets.

How is this file generated, how secure is this file? Can we have some extra security measures to protect the file other than the master password?

Cheers

• 1 year later...

Hey @pdw999 & @vikas027

Glad to know that you're enjoying Enpass.

15 hours ago, pdw999 said:

are backups encrypted?

Yes, absolutely. The backup file of Enpass are totally encrypted with the master password of the Enpass only. Decrypting the backup file or synced file will require the master password.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, vikas027 said:

How is this file generated, how secure is this file?

The original, encrypted vault files are copied as backup and the security of your data depends upon how strong is your Master Password as the encryption key for your keychain is derived from the same. Stronger the master password, safer is your data. Even when you sync, the encrypted database is uploaded to the cloud of your choice, leaving behind no chance of data theft in the mid.

On 3/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, vikas027 said:

Can we have some extra security measures to protect the file other than the master password?

Yes, To enhance the security of the Enpass data along with the master password, you can use keyfile as 2SV.

Let me know if you have any queries.

Thanks!