Enpass Discussion Forum

The First Beta of Enpass v6 for Portable Apps is out!

Vikram Dabas

Hi Enpassians!

We know our Portable users have been waiting to get the v6 update quite a long time as they are facing compatibility issues with the data on v5 of Portable Apps and v6 of the Stable apps. I am sorry that took it more time than expected as we were busy in improving and stabilizing the v6, but it's finally here!

The first beta of Enpass v6 for the Portable apps has been out, and you can get it from the download links given later in the post. The complete changelog for this beta is:

What’s New

• Multiple Vaults: We are very excited to have the support of more than one vault in Enpass to collaborate with our family and team members, keeping our personal data separate in Primary vault. It was one of the most demanded features from you guys. You can share a vault with others by syncing through a common cloud account where each vault need a distinct cloud account to sync. Just go ahead, and give it a try!
  • Secure Sharing: Every single item that you want to share with others can now be encrypted with a passphrase (call it Pre-Shared Key). You can create PSKs from the Advanced Settings of Enpass after which an additional option to Encrypt with PSK will appear while sharing the item. You need to share the PSK prior with the intended recipient to enable them to import in their Enpass. Please use a different medium to share the PSK than you’ll use to share the item. -“Keys are always kept hidden from the locks” ;-).
  • Enpass Assistant: The minified Enpass is now called Enpass Assistant (Formerly Helper). It offers excellent autofilling experience with browser extensions, and you can invoke it from a Keyboard shortcut or System Menu bar.
  • Always run Enpass Assistant in docked mode: From now onwards, you can stick the Enpass Assistant on the screen, and it won’t disappear when you click outside it. You can enable it from Enpass General settings under the Behavior section. Also, once the Enpass Assistant is opened, you can use the Keyboard shortcut Shift+Ctrl+ D to stick it on the screen.
  • Keyfile Support: You want to have a super-duper strong master password, huh! Yeah, but memory has a limit to memorize it. No worries, you can use Enpass 6 to let you use Enpass-Keyfile in addition to your master password as a second factor required to unlock the Enpass on every platform.
  • Custom Icons: Let’s you set any image as an icon for an item.
  • Trash & Archive: You know what to do with Trash. Archive those unwanted items which should be skipped while Searching.
  • Identities: Create identities with personal information for auto-filling long, tedious sign-up forms with a single click.
  • Multi-Line Field: It’s a new field type where you can save data in multiple-lines.
  • History of Every Field: Like password fields, you can now see the history of changes in every kind of fields in an item except Notes.
  • Dark theme: Added support for dark mode on macOS Mojave and Linux.
  • A separate section under the ‘Groups’ tab to have a quick look at all TOTPs & Attachments.
  • Added localization support for Afrikaans, Malay, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Slovak and Swedish.

Improvements

• Improved Security: The real stuff!! Enpass 6 comes with far better protection for your data. Check out more about Security on our website.
  • Browser Extensions: The improved browser extensions now offer better auto-filling, auto-capturing, and security. Enpass extension can now autofill in pages with more than two fields. Also, while setting up the first connection with a browser, you would need to pair that first.
  • Tags: Folders in previous Enpass were more or liked Tags, and so we have renamed them to Tags. And yes, they are nested too.
  • Checking Pwned Passwords for Complete Database: Say goodbye to the hassle of checking every single password for pwnage, now you can review the passwords in your entire database with a single click.
  • Improved Password generator and more brutal strength estimator. Again, Security Matters the most!
  • Password Expiry: From now onwards you can set an expiry date to any password field and check for them from the ‘Audit’ tab when they are going to expire.
  • Eight digits TOTP support.
  • Unlike the older version, Password generator has no limitation of five passwords in history.

Known Issues:

• Remember Location: After every fresh start, the app will ask you to select the data location even if you have previously clicked 'Remember Location.'
  • iCloud Synchronization: The Portable versions are missing the iCloud option for the synchronization.
  • Translations: Some strings might be not be localized in the supported languages.
  • For Linux users running 16.04: The app icon isn't displayed in the launcher.
  • For macOS users:
    • Missing the Categories list, and item's icon: After the initial launch of Enpass Portable, the app may not show the Categories List or item's icon.
      • Workaround: Copy the extracted enpassportable and paste it in a new folder or location. Now open the app and it will show the list and icons as expected.

• Using Safari 12 or later versions: Unfortunately, the Enpass extension for Safari will not work with the Portable versions. The reason is that the Safari App Extension is bound with the app installation. But for Portable versions, there is no such app installation.
      • Workaround: Use any other supported browsers.

Download Links

Before installing the Beta version, please read the Enpass Portable User Guide.

Get your hands on this beta version and share your valuable feedback. If there are other improvements you’d like to see, please leave a comment below.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Hello Guys!

First of all, I'm happy to have Enpass 6 portable beta finally available. Good job!

However I have serious problems using it. I would like to use it on Windows 7 remote desktop system (Citrix), where I don't have any admin rights. First startup runs all right, I can import my database from OneDrive, Chrome plugin also connects and works fine, until I lock my database. After locking, I'm not able to reopen, as the program freezes permanently,  while using 30-40% CPU constantly. If I close the process, and restart, it freezes after I select my database path. I couldn't find log anywhere, so I can't attach it.

I hope this issue can be solved until the next beta release.

Thanks and regards,

Peter

Hi @Rainer

1 hour ago, RainerH said:

Unfortunately the Beta crashes on the attempt to sync with WebDav/NextCloud. Is this a known issue? Can I help in resolving it?

Sorry to hear that. Could you share the following details so that we can check on this for you?

• Device and OS version you use.
  • Does the app crash while restoring data from Welcome Screen or enabling sync from the app settings?
  • Any error message you encountered when the app got crashed?

Also, if possible can you please create a Test account for us on your WebDAV and share the login details via Direct Message? That would be helpful for us in finding the issue. Thanks.

Hi @Peter Suto

22 hours ago, Peter Suto said:

However I have serious problems using it. I would like to use it on Windows 7 remote desktop system (Citrix), where I don't have any admin rights. First startup runs all right, I can import my database from OneDrive, Chrome plugin also connects and works fine, until I lock my database. After locking, I'm not able to reopen, as the program freezes permanently,  while using 30-40% CPU constantly. If I close the process, and restart, it freezes after I select my database path. I couldn't find log anywhere, so I can't attach it.

Sorry to hear that. The issue has been shared with the QA team for further investigation, and I will get back to you as soon as I have an update from them.

Hi @Vikram Dabas

happened on a 2017 Macbook Pro, most recent OS, with a noname 1g stick. It was from the welcome screen and the app dissapeared/crashed quietly. Nevertheless your response made me use a different approach choosing "new user" from the welcome screen and configure the sync from settings after the app started. That worked perfect with my WebDAV, so for my purpose the problem is at least "worked around" (better to say solved since I will not go through the welcome sequence any further). Unfortunately I cannot set up a Test account on the Cloud, sorry.

Thanks for caring, I wish you good luck finding the bug in the welcome sequence!

• Thanks 1

Hi @7Bit

Sorry to hear that. Please share the following information so that we can check on this for you:

• All your device and their particular OS versions on which you are using the app.
  • When does the error occur, i.e., while restoring data from Welcome Screen or configuring sync from vault settings?
  • Does the problem arise only on Desktop device or all the devices?
  • Does the Sync error occasionally occur or every time?
  • Are you using Proxy on your device?

On 4/3/2019 at 9:24 AM, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi @Peter Suto

Sorry to hear that. The issue has been shared with the QA team for further investigation, and I will get back to you as soon as I have an update from them.

Hello,

When is it expected to get new version of Enpass 6 Beta? Is this forum the only possibility to check the latest version status?

Thanks,

Peter

Hi @portboy

On 4/16/2019 at 1:35 PM, portboy said:

On my Win 7 computer I get the following error:

I'm not able to start the program :(

Unbenannt.GIF.e667fc8b01ac7ba0143137f7e8d59944.GIF

Sincerely apologize for the late reply.  This application error is very common, and it occurs when there's a mixing of 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and applications. You may also encounter this problem when you are trying to run a game or program. The simple way to resolve this is:

• Restart your computer
  • Update .NET framework on your system.
  • Reinstall the Portable version and try again.

I hope this helps.

Hey @Peter Suto,

Hope you are doing well!

On 4/2/2019 at 3:50 PM, Peter Suto said:

I would like to use it on Windows 7 remote desktop system (Citrix), where I don't have any admin rights. First startup runs all right, I can import my database from OneDrive, Chrome plugin also connects and works fine, until I lock my database. After locking, I'm not able to reopen, as the program freezes permanently,  while using 30-40% CPU constantly. If I close the process, and restart, it freezes after I select my database path. I couldn't find log anywhere, so I can't attach it.

I hope this issue can be solved until the next beta release.

We have tested this issue in our lab and were unable to reproduce it. It would be a great help if you share more details about the Remote desktop Machine and Citrix Virtual Desktops configuration which you are running so that we can proceed further.

Thanks for your co-operation.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:35 AM, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi @portboy

Sincerely apologize for the late reply.  This application error is very common, and it occurs when there's a mixing of 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and applications. You may also encounter this problem when you are trying to run a game or program. The simple way to resolve this is:

• Restart your computer
  • Update .NET framework on your system.
  • Reinstall the Portable version and try again.

I hope this helps.

thx, but I do not have the right on the system to do the .NET update 

that's the reason why I’m using the portable version :)

On 4/24/2019 at 1:34 PM, Anshu kumar said:

Hey @Peter Suto,

Hope you are doing well!

We have tested this issue in our lab and were unable to reproduce it. It would be a great help if you share more details about the Remote desktop Machine and Citrix Virtual Desktops configuration which you are running so that we can proceed further.

Hey Anshu,

I have the following environment on the host machine:
Windows 10 Home x64 (1809)
Citrix Workspace 18.12.0.12 (1812)

Citrix Virtual Desktop specs:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 x64
Intel Xeon Silver 4110 @ 2,1 Ghz
3 GB Ram

I hope I could help.

Hi, 

I would like to suggest something, that - if ever possible - would be a great addition to the portable version, since it adds another layer of security: encrypt the USB-stick, Enpass is stored on - I just do not want anyone accessing ANY data that is stored on my Enpass-Stick (even if Enpass-data is heavily encrypted).

To give you a better idea, what I am talking about: I solved this at the moment by using a free open-source software named Securstick with my Enpass-USB-Stick. When started, it creates a virtual drive (in my case drive a:\), on which I then put all my enpass files (the exe, the data files and folders). When I stop Securstick, it encrypts the content on drive a:\ and stores that data in encrypted form on my USB drive. So, without the password for Securstick, there is no way to read or steal any Enpass-data from the USB stick. 

I don't know, whether this would be something to consider to integrate into the portable version of Enpass, but I find the idea interesting at least.

As for the time being, for anyone wanting to try out, how this works, I will provide a description below.

You can do that completely manually (you just need Securstick), but for your convenience, I also created two scripts to start and stop the whole process (for that, you need the freeware-programs Securstick and USB Disk Ejector).

Put these two programs in the root of the USB drive, plus the two cmd-files holding the start and stop script (you can create shortcuts to the cmd-files on you desktop). When  Securstick starts for the first time, choose a strong masterpassword and check, that the "virtual" drive it creates is assigned the drive-letter a:\  (if you cannot do that, change the drive letters in the scripts accordingly). When the virtual drive is mounted, you can put your Enpass-exe in that virtual drive, start it, configure everything and run it from there. The start-script will do that automatically for you later on

(Caveat: the script right now refers to a copy of the NORMAL enpass.exe (I copied the installation folder from my computer), that I tried it with, before the portable beta was released, but you should be able to run EnpassPortable.exe from the scripts as well)

Calling the stop-script will close all instances, empty any existing caches of the virtual drive to not leave anything remaining on the computer, unmount the virtual drive and eject the USB-stick. 

So, here are the scripts, if you want to start to experiment with it....

Here's the start-script (name is start.cmd)

start /min SecurStick-x64.exe
:cont1
timeout /T 2
if exist A:\ goto cont2
goto :cont1
:cont2
start A:\Enpass\Enpass.exe
exit

Here's the stop-script (name it stop.cmd)

taskkill /F /IM Enpass.exe /T
timeout /T 5
@start iexplore http://127.0.0.1/stop
:cont3
timeout /T 2
if exist A:\ goto cont3
timeout /T 3
taskkill /F /IM iexplore.exe /T
timeout /T 3
USB_Disk_Eject.exe /REMOVETHIS
exit

Edited by dvdr
specified & explained some more details

22 hours ago, Peter Suto said:

Hey Anshu,

I have the following environment on the host machine:
Windows 10 Home x64 (1809)
Citrix Workspace 18.12.0.12 (1812)

Citrix Virtual Desktop specs:
Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard SP1 x64
Intel Xeon Silver 4110 @ 2,1 Ghz
3 GB Ram

I hope I could help.

Thanks for sharing the details. I have forwarded it the QA team to look into it.

• 3 weeks later...