Enpass Discussion Forum

How to share the same cloud database ?

JB Labelle

Hello,

I am having an issue because I want to share my OneDrive database with my family members.

For my wife, under iOS, this is not an issue as when choosing "Existing database / OneDrive", the application ask anyway the account credentials so I just enter mine (my Microsoft account credentials) and it finds it and synchronize.

But for my son, also sporting a Windows phone, the issue is that it looks directly in its OneDrive account, without asking me to enter the account credential (it picks up the account of the phone) and without anyway to change the account where to look.

So I see no possibility how I could share the same database except using a 3rd party cloud (like Drop Box  or other).

Does someone has the solution ? This is a big dealbreaker as I need to have my passwords shared within my family.

I have an untested workaround. It should work, but I'm not sure.

You can share the Enpass folder located at the root of your OneDrive with your son, and give him writing permissions.

Next, you go to your son's OneDrive (on the web), and add the folder you just shared to his onedrive (there is an "Add to my OneDrive" option). This will create an "Enpass" folder at the root of his OneDrive.

Now you can try configure Enpass on your son's phone. As far as I can see, Enpass look for a "Enpass" folder at the root of OneDrive, so this should work.

But I never tried it. As I said, it's a workaround.

• Like 1

So I tried yesterday and while Enpass see the folder and database, the synchronization displays an error. I guess you cannot make exactly the same thing in term of editing for a shared file compared to the one in your OneDrive.

Actually, I realized that no program is perfect. This is a big feature that LastPass has and that Enpass lack.

Because even if using a 3rd party cloud like I finally did (DropBox), the issue is that the Master Password is shared to all the family members need to use the same password as me. This is quite an issue.

LastPass allows to share folders or password while maintaining the master password choosen by each family members. As the master password is used to encrypt the database, I am not clear how they do that because it would mean having the shared entries or folder encrypted several times. This is maybe only easily possible in the way LastPass store the encrypted database at their premises ?

Anyway, I like Enpass very much but for it to become perfect and offer the best of all other competitors, it needs :

- support for filling form (browser extension) (like LastPass, 1Password)

- support for sharing password / database / folder (like LastPass and 1Password Family now)

Because it offers also things unique like : Windows Hello support (like 1Password but not LastPass), support for editing and integrated browser on Windows phone / Windows 10 app (like LastPass), Continuum (works great).

I know that those are not easy feature to include and that the market is highly competitive in this field. But Enpass is already in the very best group (from all the one that I have tried and used and that I do not mention) and just need those 2 features to be over the top.

Hello @JB Labelle

Thanks a lot for liking and using Enpass. Since Enpass is an offline password manager (with no access to your data), so sharing data among users is not so good like online password managers where your data and account lie at their servers. 

On 19 April 2016 at 0:29 PM, JB Labelle said:

Because even if using a 3rd party cloud like I finally did (DropBox), the issue is that the Master Password is shared to all the family members need to use the same password as me.

Although very soon we will start working on improving the sharing feature to next level with multiple vaults having different master passwords

On 19 April 2016 at 0:29 PM, JB Labelle said:

- support for filling form (browser extension) (like LastPass, 1Password)

We do have the Browser extensions but they lack the feature of form filling which will be rolled out in steps as discussed here 

And yes, your such delineating topics really helps us in improving Enpass very quickly.:)

Thanks for your incredible responsiveness. It was not critic and I realize that the other "big" players took virtually years (with a S) to implement such features.

I just wanted to be as transparent as possible about strength and weakness in selecting a Password Manager. Me and my family are quite focus on this aspect. When I say family, I am speaking of brothers and father. My father was in IT and as such is making the IT personal advises for family or friends : what devices to purchase, how to set them up...

A password manager is therefore one of the basis he is pushing to its "clients". This is why it happened that we tested different software, on different plateforms (Windows, iOS, OS X, Windows phone and Android) and why Enpass just grab my attention so quickly.

I am overly optimistic on Enpass if those 2 big features (form filling) and way to share password would improve as there would really not be a lot of other main features that other can brag about while having some distinctive advantages : cross-plateform with great Windows / Windows mobile app with Windows Hello support, browser extension, configurable record, password history, offline storage + various cloud support...

You are really already ticking an awful lot of tick boxes so continue the great work !

• Like 1