Enpass Discussion Forum

Bulk edits to field names and other data in Enpass 6. Can I export in JSON then import again?

DustinDauncey

Hello,

I am a bit OCD about my data, and I find that I have inadvertently kept inconsistent formats for field names and such. In some cases, I have changed the "Website" field to "Login Page", and in some cases I have section names in all-capitals and some in title case, etc. I would like a way to quickly correct these discrepencies. One way I was thinking about was to export the data from Enpass in JSON, then edit the JSON so that the field names that are lower-case can be replaced with their upper-case variant, and small tweaks like that. Then I could import that back into Enpass and all would be fixed.

That was my idea / intention anyways. However, when I tried this, I noticed that importing the data provided nothing in Enpass. So for example, I would start the import with choosing Enpass as the source, choose JSON, then select the file. Then it would continue and find like 585 items for example, and then I'd hit the final button to import the data, it would take a few seconds and then say it was successfully imported, yet none of the data was present in the Enpass application. I even assumed this may have been because it wouldn't overwrite data or something, so I deleted all of the items I had in the vault (even deleted in trash), then imported the file, it would find 585 items again and import but I would see no data in Enpass. Thankfully I had the most recent backup so I could restore all my data, but this leads me to wonder if there is a bug in the way Enpass is importing itself or in the way I am using it. 

Ultimately this is sort of two fold:
1) Can Enpass export data as JSON and still import that same JSON back again? Because in my tests it seems that is not working.
2) What is the official (or even unofficial) way of quickly correcting things like field names in bulk across many items in the vault so they are consistent in their naming conventions, etc.? Really this goes for any data, such as values too.

Hi @DustinDauncey,

Thanks for using Enpass and writing to us.

14 hours ago, DustinDauncey said:

2) What is the official (or even unofficial) way of quickly correcting things like field names in bulk across many items in the vault so they are consistent in their naming conventions, etc.? Really this goes for any data, such as values too.

Currently, there is no option to edit the field names in bulk. I want to know which field names you found inconsistent so that we can proceed further.

14 hours ago, DustinDauncey said:

1) Can Enpass export data as JSON and still import that same JSON back again? Because in my tests it seems that is not working.

Yes, You can export and edit the data in any text editor you like and import back to Enpass. Please do erase everything from Enpass Advanced Settings and then import the exported json file and check if you have all of your new data. (Make sure you have the latest backup before erasing all data)

Please let me know if it solves your issue.

So there's no way to  bulk edit in the GUI, which is okay (though that'd be a great feature addition), but the issue for me was when exporting as JSON and then re-importing the JSON file after making a very small tweak, it wouldn't work. It seemed like it saw the entries but never would show them, as if it skipped them all or something like that. I'll try to do the erase everything method though rather than removing from trash and emptying the trash as I was doing before, maybe that'll help.

@Ankur Gupta, this unfortunately did not work. In this case, I didn't even modify the JSON file just to rule out changes I was doing. So I exported the JSON of my vault from Enpass, erased everything, setup a fresh vault using iCloud, then imported the JSON. It recognized all the items but after import none of them ever showed up. This seems like a bug, I suspect. Can you please shed some light on this? Is there any other way for me to achieve a bulk edit of items using exported data to then import back into Enpass? My use-case is to, for example, change a field name of "Login Page" to "Website" to match other entries already using "Website", just as an example. I'm happy digging in to data files and understand there's no GUI way to do it, but even after modifying the JSON (or even without modifying it at all) I cannot seem to import it successful, it rather it shows successfully importing them but none of them show up anywhere, it's as if it never happened.

• 1 month later...

Any update? This has been here for quite a while now without movement. It would seem that this is not working as expected, or I've misunderstood the steps to make direct edits to the data and re-import (a workaround for the inability to make bulk changes to field names, for examples).