Enpass Discussion Forum

TOTP disappears 30s after saving.

ryan29

Tonight while trying to set up a TOTP, I've run into a problem.  I roughly did this:

• Create an account on my PC.  Let everything sync (via Nextcloud) to get the Enpass item on my phone.
  • Start setting up TOTP on the site and get a QR code.
  • Scan the QR code on my phone, save the entry.

I normally get the Enpass item synced backed to my PC and use that to finish the setup.  However, tonight while waiting for my phone to sync, the TOTP disappears after about 30s.  It literally disappears while I'm watching the TOTP countdown.  I pointed my iPad at my phone and grabbed a poor quality video if it would help to show the issue, but I don't want to post it publicly.  If you'd like it, please tell me where I can send it / upload it.

Any idea what might be going wrong?

Hi @ryan29,

Thanks for using Enpass. Sorry for the trouble. Please answer the following so that I can investigate your issue:-

• Enpass Version on your PC and Android phone?
  • OS Version of phone and PC?
  • Which cloud services are you using to sync?
  • Does the Date and Time setting set to automatic on all devices?

You can share the video via PM.

Waiting for your reply.

This worked for me today without changing anything or doing anything differently.  I'll send you a link to my video anyway just so you can see what happened.

• Android Enpass version 6.06.200.  PC version 6.0.6 (322) from the Windows store.
  • Phone is an LG G6 running Android 8.0.0.  PC is Windows 10 Pro 1809.
  • I sync with self-hosted Nextcloud 15.0.7 running via Docker (docker.io/library/nextcloud:15.0.7).
  • Yes, the date and time syncs automatically, BUT it's possible my PC clock was incorrect due to a reboot from Linux (which set it to GMT).

It was late and I can't remember exactly what order I did things in, but I'm 100% positive my PC clock was incorrect around the time I was trying to sync.  I know because I noticed it when I went to log in to another site.  Could that cause the issue you'll see in the video I'll PM you?  If so, I would be concerned about losing the TOTP secret.  I always let the token sync to my PC before entering codes to finish the TOTP setup since it reduces the chances of losing the secret.  It's the main reason I use Enpass for TOTP.

The site you'll see in my video has a TOTP implementation that makes a good case for my fear of losing a TOTP secret.  When I set up my account, it didn't as me to configure a recovery phone number.  It can be done, but it's manual.  I didn't think about it and was configuring TOTP first.  Their TOTP implementation doesn't give recovery codes either, so, had I finished the 2FA setup before the TOTP config disappeared from my phone, I might have gotten locked out of the account without many options for recovery.

I know there's nothing Enpass can do about another site's subpar 2FA process, but, once I scan a TOTP QR code on my phone and get TOTP codes I can use, my expectation would be for Enpass to ensure the TOTP secret isn't going to disappear.

Hi @ryan29,

Thanks for sharing the details. I just checked the video sent by you. 

Enpass sync depends upon the device Date/Time, If you have a different date and time setting on multiple devices then you can get the sync issues. Also, it's not only with TOTP,  but It may also happen with other details too. In order to solve this issue, please make sure the date and time setting is accurate on all the devices (preferably set to automatic).

Let me know if you need further assistance.