Enpass Discussion Forum

RPM Package Repository

lburgazzoli

Hi @lburgazzoli

We initially thought of providing a YUM repository for RPMs but postponed it as it requires extra work for managing packages and testing all the test cases. Majority of people use Debian based package management systems and for other distros we have stand alone installer. Like you, we really love RPM based systems but being a short team, we have to choose our responsibilities very wisely, considering the long list of pending feature requests. Perhaps in future it will be there but I can't assure you for this. 

• 4 months later...

I disagree to some extent.

Firstly, "Majority of people use Debian based" is the sort of comment that produces flame wars. I urge you to avoid making such wild statements unless you are prepared to write a very long essay with reliable statistical support. Note: "reliable".

Secondly, having just followed your comments, and used the "EnpassInstaller" on a new Fedora 24 installation, it just does not work.

Thirdly, all the effort to support an RPM package is not intrinsically different from supporting a debian package. I have done and continue to do this. The setup requires a bit of work, but once the automation is working, you should not see any major additional workload. If you do, then the problem is not the RPM package per se.

Packaging is packaging. What you have in fact achieved by introducing the "EnpassInstaller" as a generic solution for "all other distros", is that you have created a focus point for all other problems. You have not fixed them, and you have made supporting them very difficult because they are not contained in discrete areas. They are all in one big bag of "stuff".

I suggest your management reevaluates the problem and the chosen solutions, because something is very wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
8 minutes ago, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi all,

RPM package creation is easy. We can certainly provide that for download but we don't have limited resources to maintain rpm repos.  

What kind of repo (yum, dnf or zypper ) will be suitable for all rpm based distros ? I would like to have your comments on this.

My understanding is, if RPM creation is easy you can upload to RPMfusion and don't maintain your on repo.

• 1 month later...
On 11/8/2016 at 1:07 PM, Vinod Kumar said:

Hi all,

RPM package creation is easy. We can certainly provide that for download but we don't have limited resources to maintain rpm repos.  

What kind of repo (yum, dnf or zypper ) will be suitable for all rpm based distros ? I would like to have your comments on this.

Hi,

RHEL and CentOS are still using yum, fedora is using dnf which is using the old yum configs and repos.

But, guys do you know https://build.opensuse.org/ ?

The openSUSE Build Service is the public instance of the Open Build Service (OBS) used for development of the openSUSE distribution and to offer packages from same source for Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, SUSE Linux Enterprise and other distributions.Please find further details of this service on our wiki pages

It's open for everybody, it's automated and a lot of archs and distros are supported. (I never used it.)