Enpass Discussion Forum

WebDAV Sync Error with code 904035

HQJaTu

Initial vault setup from own server goes ok. Something changed in version 6.0.5 (or 6.0.6) and now my Let's Encrypt certificate spits error on every sync. This is not happening on my Mac nor iPhone. Only on Windows 10 store version does that.

Fix is to disconnect. At reconnect select "Bypass SSL certificate verification". After that, everything works ok.

This is not a blocker, more like a nuisance. Early 6.x versions worked ok, but latest 6.1.0 does not. The obvious weird thing is, that the certificate IS valid and other platforms work ok.

Enpass-Error-code-904035.png

1 hour ago, Anshu kumar said:

It would be a great help if you can share the demo account of your WebDAV via PM so that we can investigate where the problem could be and try to fix asap.

Thanks for your response. I'll move this discussion to PM with details.

• 4 weeks later...

Is there any update to this? I am also getting 904035 on sync on one Windows 10 computer but another Windows 10 computer works fine. Viewing the server logs I can see the one with the error isn't making any requests at all.

I also use Let's Encrypt certificates. I'm not going to bypass certificate verification for obvious reasons!

-davidc

2 minutes ago, davidc said:

I also use Let's Encrypt certificates. I'm not going to bypass certificate verification for obvious reasons!

I have exchanged couple emails with support and clarified my case to them, but haven't heard from them since.

The current theory is, that any HTTP-proxy, transparent or regular will cause Enpass to interpret things incorrectly.

Can you confirm:

• Storage backend. In my case its my own Linux box with the LE-cert using WebDAV. If you're getting this on a cloud provider, then it might be a different case. I know, most likely you wouldn't use LE-cert on those, but still ... covering all the bases.
  • The target URL works ok and has valid cert on your browser. In Windows 10 check also Edge as is it will use system settings just like Chrome. Firefox won't use system settings.
  • Is there is a proxy in use. A transparent proxy might generate a HTTPS-cert on the fly causing the issue. Your browser might accept the certificate root ok, but Enpass doesn't use your Windows 10 certificate storage at all.

It would help this case if you can share the above details on your setup.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can confirm that no proxy is in place at either end. If I have my desktop and my laptop on the same home network (both Windows 10), my desktop can sync fine with the WebDAV server but my laptop cannot (error 904035). Both are running Enpass 6.1.0 (407). I could not find any Enpass logfile.

The server is Nextcloud on Linux with a Let's Encrypt certificate.

The certificate is accepted automatically in both Internet Explorer and Edge. It is signed by Let's Encrypt Authority X3 which is signed by the trusted CA DST Root CA X3. I have also verified that the server is sending the chain certificate from the command line.

But today it is working. Nothing has changed, I have not upgraded Enpass and the certificate on the server has not rolled over. There haven't been any Windows Updates either (I run OOSU to prevent them). Edit: it worked once, now it is giving Webdav error code 909975

-davidc

Edited by davidc

1 hour ago, davidc said:

I can confirm that no proxy is in place at either end. If I have my desktop and my laptop on the same home network (both Windows 10), my desktop can sync fine with the WebDAV server but my laptop cannot (error 904035). Both are running Enpass 6.1.0 (407). I could not find any Enpass logfile.

Ok. Then its not the same case I have.

The certificate is accepted automatically in both Internet Explorer and Edge. It is signed by Let's Encrypt Authority X3 which is signed by the trusted CA DST Root CA X3. I have also verified that the server is sending the chain certificate from the command line.

That's what I experience. All browsers trust the certificate chain ok, but Enpass doesn't. It seems to have a certificate vault of its own.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:22 AM, Anshu kumar said:

Our dev team is working into this issue and hopefully a fix will be available with the subsequent update.

Thanks for that. I'll be looking forward for any new software versions which might address this issue.

Meanwhile, I managed to replicate the problem on  a laptop waking from sleep. There is no proxy configured, but this specific sync error will occur towards my WebDAV server. When that happens, sync attempt will continue forever without timing out. Since there is no Cancel Sync -button available to manually abort the forever failing sync, my fix is to quit Enpass and restart. Then the problem will be fixed. However, this does not happen every time after sleep wake. It happens often enough so, that I can confirm the failure.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that is troubling me is that Enpass is making no efforts to inform me of a sync problem. I have to notice that something seems out of date and then I have to go all the way into the main app, menu, vault, to see that an error occurs. In the meantime I am creating sync conflicts. Enpass needs to be more bold about informing the user about sync problems - either repeatedly, or with a persistent dialogue that needs to be explicitly acknowledged before it goes away. It's not acceptable for things to be getting weeks out of sync without me knowing.

-davidc

P.S. I am back to getting 904035 consistently on my laptop. But I didn't notice until today because of the above problem.

Edited by davidc

On 7/22/2019 at 10:35 PM, davidc said:

One thing that is troubling me is that Enpass is making no efforts to inform me of a sync problem.

Yeah. The price of the product is right (doesn't cost a thing), but getting support for it can take quite a long time. Probably most users are going for commercial clouds and fixing WebDAV isn't a priority to Enpass devs.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about that, I bought it on all the platforms, but it is clear there is a bug that is affecting more than one person i.e. is not user error. Enpass do you have a plan to fix this? Is there any debugging/logging anywhere at all that we can use to assist you?

As I have mentioned, syncing to the same WebDAV server with the same credentials on another Windows 10 computer works fine. And on my laptop consistently fails with cryptic error 904035 (why not even bother to display a real error message?).

-davidc

2 hours ago, davidc said:

I don't know about that, I bought it on all the platforms, but it is clear there is a bug that is affecting more than one person i.e. is not user error. 

Ok. Windows 10 and macOS are free-of-charge. I happily paid for my iOS Enpass.

2 hours ago, davidc said:

Enpass do you have a plan to fix this? Is there any debugging/logging anywhere at all that we can use to assist you?

So far customer support is simply managing expectations while giving polite "we will fix this soon". Other than that, past two months have been rather unfruitful.

Like David, also I'm ready to help any way I can.

This ridiculous bug is getting very annoying. If the sync fails, Enpass keeps retrying in a forever-loop spewing the 904035 love. It's like playing whack-a-mole. You dismiss the sync-error and quite soon it will pop out again.

• 1 month later...