Enpass Discussion Forum

some features from other managers enpass.io could use

eleith

1. [desktop] ctrl+f not only puts focus on the search field, but highlights any text currently in it entirely

problem: when searching for an entry with ctrl+f and then coming back later and hitting ctrl+f to search for another entry, you have to manually backspace to remove the previous search entry.

solution: instead, on ctrl+f, instead of just focusing on the search field, you could highlight the previous entry entirely, such that you can start typing a new entry.

2. [desktop] upon copying any field in an entry, minimize enpass.io

problem: when clicking the icon to copy a field in an entry, you have to minimize to get to the app you need to paste the field in

solution: generally, the app (ex: browser) is an app sitting behind enpass.io, so minimizing it will mostly be what you want (keypassx does this and it is extremely useful)

3. [desktop] key board shortcut to copy current entry username, password

problem: currently, you have to use the mouse to copy any field in the entry

solution: assign shortcuts for common fields (username, password, url)

solution bonus: build this on top of (2) and you have a great feature from keypassx that is useful

4. [desktop + mobile] allow user to choose the filename of the wallet (not just the folder location)

problem: desktop client forces the filename walletx.db but mobile sync forces the filename sync_default.walletx. thus desktop users can not use client sync libraries but are forced to use enpass.io sync feature. 

solution: allow desktop and mobile clients to choose the filename of their wallet, so users have more control over what sync clients to use. right now, desktop users have to maintain TWO wallets; a walletx.db AND a sync_default.walletx (if they wanted mobile to sync).

5. [android] as a new user, when choosing to restore from webdav, allow user to use same credentials to setup sync

problem: after you restore from webdav, mobile app still needs sync to be setup, even though it is likely it will be the same credentials from the restore settings

solution: allow users to choose not only to restore but save restore credentials as sync credentials, so they don't have to enter credentials twice

6. [desktop] allow desktop to remain unlocked even after laptop suspends / awakes

problem: the mobile app can be quickly unlocked with fingerprint after master password was used once, but desktop locks on each suspend (which is often for laptops)

solution: allow users to choose a pin or just leave app unlocked, even if laptop is suspended (basically, be on par with mobile flexibility)

7. [browser extension] allow shortcuts for individual fields, not just auto-fill

problem: many sites just don't work with the enpass.io autofill and what you want is just quick access to individual fields (totp, username, password, url, etc)

solution: allow browser extension to search for an entry and quickly copy/paste individual fields 

8. [android] use of keyboard makes an enpass.io bottom bar appear even on other screens beyond what you used the keyboard for

problem: after using the enpass.io keyboard, sometimes on future screens, even with the keyboard closed, you see a thin bottom bar on the bottom for enpass.io

solution: remove the bar entirely, it isn't useful if the keyboard isn't showing. the notification is good enough for this

9. [android BUG] use of keyboard sometimes refreshes, causing entry to be lost. 

problem: when filling out a form that has many entries, notification can't be used. thus keyboard is a nice solution. but if keyboard refreshes, entry is lost.

solution: have keyboard retain entry till keyboard is changed back to google keyboard, allowing for entry of longer forms

Hi @eleith

I really appreciate you for your exploring the app and giving time in finding all these valuable suggestions and solution. 

5 hours ago, eleith said:

1. [desktop] ctrl+f not only puts focus on the search field, but highlights any text currently in it entirely

problem: when searching for an entry with ctrl+f and then coming back later and hitting ctrl+f to search for another entry, you have to manually backspace to remove the previous search entry.

solution: instead, on ctrl+f, instead of just focusing on the search field, you could highlight the previous entry entirely, such that you can start typing a new entry.

Thanks for reporting this issue. Noted and forwarded to dev team, so they can try to fix this issue asap.

2. [desktop] upon copying any field in an entry, minimize enpass.io

problem: when clicking the icon to copy a field in an entry, you have to minimize to get to the app you need to paste the field in

solution: generally, the app (ex: browser) is an app sitting behind enpass.io, so minimizing it will mostly be what you want (keypassx does this and it is extremely useful)

Noted your suggestion.

7. [browser extension] allow shortcuts for individual fields, not just auto-fill

problem: many sites just don't work with the enpass.io autofill and what you want is just quick access to individual fields (totp, username, password, url, etc)

solution: allow browser extension to search for an entry and quickly copy/paste individual fields 

3. [desktop] key board shortcut to copy current entry username, password

problem: currently, you have to use the mouse to copy any field in the entry

solution: assign shortcuts for common fields (username, password, url)

solution bonus: build this on top of (2) and you have a great feature from keypassx that is useful

The suggested feature is already there, you can use following shortcut keys:- 

• To Copy  Username --> Ctrl+Shift+U 
  • To Copy Password --> Ctrl+Shift+P
  • To Copy  URL --> Ctrl+Shift+R
  • To Copy  TOTP --> Ctrl+Shift+T
  • To launch URL --> Ctrl+Shift +L

4. [desktop + mobile] allow user to choose the filename of the wallet (not just the folder location)

problem: desktop client forces the filename walletx.db but mobile sync forces the filename sync_default.walletx. thus desktop users can not use client sync libraries but are forced to use enpass.io sync feature. 

solution: allow desktop and mobile clients to choose the filename of their wallet, so users have more control over what sync clients to use. right now, desktop users have to maintain TWO wallets; a walletx.db AND a sync_default.walletx (if they wanted mobile to sync).

Noted!

. [android] as a new user, when choosing to restore from webdav, allow user to use same credentials to setup sync

problem: after you restore from webdav, mobile app still needs sync to be setup, even though it is likely it will be the same credentials from the restore settings

solution: allow users to choose not only to restore but save restore credentials as sync credentials, so they don't have to enter credentials twice

Already been implemented and will be available in next update.

6. [desktop] allow desktop to remain unlocked even after laptop suspends / awakes

problem: the mobile app can be quickly unlocked with fingerprint after master password was used once, but desktop locks on each suspend (which is often for laptops)

solution: allow users to choose a pin or just leave app unlocked, even if laptop is suspended (basically, be on par with mobile flexibility)

Already been implemented and will be available in next update.

8. [android] use of keyboard makes an enpass.io bottom bar appear even on other screens beyond what you used the keyboard for

problem: after using the enpass.io keyboard, sometimes on future screens, even with the keyboard closed, you see a thin bottom bar on the bottom for enpass.io

solution: remove the bar entirely, it isn't useful if the keyboard isn't showing. the notification is good enough for this

Noted and forwarded to dev team.

9. [android BUG] use of keyboard sometimes refreshes, causing entry to be lost. 

problem: when filling out a form that has many entries, notification can't be used. thus keyboard is a nice solution. but if keyboard refreshes, entry is lost.

solution: have keyboard retain entry till keyboard is changed back to google keyboard, allowing for entry of longer forms

Noted and forwarded to dev team.

• Like 1

awesome replies (you and the enpass team do a great job of cultivating community on these forums)

i totally missed out on the keyboard shortcuts, thanks for letting me know.

glad to hear future updates are resolving some of the noted issues too!

keep up the great work.

• Like 1

Hi,
I changed to Enpass from 1Password because you guys support Windows and _Linux_ - and that's awesome!

I've been using Enpass for some time now and it works very well for storing and filling passwords - I'm a developer myself, so props for fulfilling the main use cases ;)

Now, I wanted to suggest you some things that I learned to love about 1password and Enpass is still missing:

* Track Generated Passwords: If I generate a new password using the extension (which I do almost exclusively), and the website accepts the new password, the extension doesn't always notice that I updated a password. In that case, I have only some seconds to realize that and paste the newly generated PW before the clipboard is emptied. This is quite annoying and it hasn't happend only once to me that I then had to reset the password because I had no idea about the 60 char random PW generated. The 1password browser extension has an option where it shows you the last generated password and the main application keeps a list of all generated passwords. So even if the extension doesn't update the password itself, you can later go into that list and manually update the password.
This is the most major feature I wish Enpass had :(

* Favorites in the Browser Extension (I'm using Chrome): when you open the extension by clicking the button, having your favorites there makes it so much more convenient to open them and log right in... it almost replaced my bookmarks...

* Only Logins in the Browser Extension: 1password only shows the saved website logins in the extension... I don't feel like this is an unnecessary limitation since you already need the URL to identify which login to use... so when the Enpass extension shows me my stored bank accounts, it is actually just annoying since it is labeled very similar to my bank login but does absolutely nothing when I try to fill in the login info in the browser. At least adding an option to only show logins would effectively remove this issue.

* Password History: When I change my password and the extension updates it, it would be great to have a history of the previous passwords. For example if something goes wrong with the password change, or just to look it up in case some other website did not yet get the update of a Single-Sign-On portal.

* Secure Attachments: I like to attach some files to my passwords and in general keep sensitive files (of not too much size i.e. SSH keys, certificate files, scans of contracts, etc.) encrypted on my HDD and if my password manager supports that - and syncs it safely across my devices, that's a big bonus.

* Explain how auto-fill chooses the password & other fields to fill: I checked your documentation in order to find how the browser extension determines which stored login to use for filling out the current website form and how it determines which values go into which fields - I failed.
Now I'm sure you thought about some heuristic or at least consistent behavior on how to find the fields on the website and associate them with the fields stored, but right now I cannot find exactly how you do it (I did not yet check the source of the extension... I feel like that is a little too much effort). So if you would just add that info to the documentation, that would be great.

* Browser extension validation: 1password has recently added an feature where the browser extension and the main application would require you to enter a displayed code from the extension into the main app to authenticate the extension and provide an additional safety net against MITM attacks. I don't fully remember the exact sequence, but it's something like I just described and I'm sure you will find documentation on it (and why the users shouldn't freak out about it ^^).

I hope you made it until here, I know it's a lot of input, but I really think that Enpass would greatly benefit from it and that it could very well become a market leader. Your linux support together with a nice user interface is really an exception to most other password managers except maybe LastPass, but I for one, do not want to store all my passwords inside my browser and in the cloud...

So please tell me what you think about my suggestions, I'd love to talk them over with you.

Thanks for building such a good application and please keep up the good work!

11 hours ago, Mr. Tomato said:

* Track Generated Passwords: If I generate a new password using the extension (which I do almost exclusively), and the website accepts the new password, the extension doesn't always notice that I updated a password. In that case, I have only some seconds to realize that and paste the newly generated PW before the clipboard is emptied. This is quite annoying and it hasn't happend only once to me that I then had to reset the password because I had no idea about the 60 char random PW generated. The 1password browser extension has an option where it shows you the last generated password and the main application keeps a list of all generated passwords. So even if the extension doesn't update the password itself, you can later go into that list and manually update the password.

You can view the history of generated passwords when you click on the clock icon in the bottom right.

2016-11-09 09_49_24-.png

Password History: When I change my password and the extension updates it, it would be great to have a history of the previous passwords. For example if something goes wrong with the password change, or just to look it up in case some other website did not yet get the update of a Single-Sign-On portal.

There is a password history in the element view.

2016-11-09 09_57_28-Enpass.png

Edited by Tobias S.

Hi

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing Enpass and for your excellent feedback. 

* Password History: When I change my password and the extension updates it, it would be great to have a history of the previous passwords. For example if something goes wrong with the password change, or just to look it up in case some other website did not yet get the update of a Single-Sign-On portal.

I would like to let you know that when you generate password through Enpass password generator (Either from App or Enpass browser extension), it saves the history of last 5 generated passwords along with the domain name. Which you can view by clicking on the little clock icon in the Enpass extension. For more details please have a look at user manual link.

* Favorites in the Browser Extension (I'm using Chrome): when you open the extension by clicking the button, having your favorites there makes it so much more convenient to open them and log right in... it almost replaced my bookmarks...

Already in our roadmap.

* Only Logins in the Browser Extension: 1password only shows the saved website logins in the extension... I don't feel like this is an unnecessary limitation since you already need the URL to identify which login to use... so when the Enpass extension shows me my stored bank accounts, it is actually just annoying since it is labeled very similar to my bank login but does absolutely nothing when I try to fill in the login info in the browser. At least adding an option to only show logins would effectively remove this issue.

Noted your request and added to roadmap.

Secure Attachments: I like to attach some files to my passwords and in general keep sensitive files (of not too much size i.e. SSH keys, certificate files, scans of contracts, etc.) encrypted on my HDD and if my password manager supports that - and syncs it safely across my devices, that's a big bonus.

The feature of attachment support is already in devlopment phase and being discussed here: 

Explain how auto-fill chooses the password & other fields to fill: I checked your documentation in order to find how the browser extension determines which stored login to use for filling out the current website form and how it determines which values go into which fields - I failed.
Now I'm sure you thought about some heuristic or at least consistent behavior on how to find the fields on the website and associate them with the fields stored, but right now I cannot find exactly how you do it (I did not yet check the source of the extension... I feel like that is a little too much effort). So if you would just add that info to the documentation, that would be great.

Noted and forwarded to concerned department.

Browser extension validation: 1password has recently added an feature where the browser extension and the main application would require you to enter a displayed code from the extension into the main app to authenticate the extension and provide an additional safety net against MITM attacks. I don't fully remember the exact sequence, but it's something like I just described and I'm sure you will find documentation on it (and why the users shouldn't freak out about it ^^).

Already in our roadmap, but I can't assure any ETA for this and only can say that it will be available in any of future versions. Please bear with us.

• 4 weeks later...
On 09/11/2016 at 8:14 PM, Anshu kumar said:
On 09/11/2016 at 8:34 AM, Mr. Tomato said:

I would like to let you know that when you generate password through Enpass password generator (Either from App or Enpass browser extension), it saves the history of last 5 generated passwords along with the domain name. Which you can view by clicking on the little clock icon in the Enpass extension. For more details please have a look at user manual link.

The generated password history feature is great and I love it, the password history is also greatly useful. It is a feature that was missing in my last password manager that lead to losing access to an account.

Edited by DJExero