Enpass Discussion Forum

Understanding Enpass Portable. Help Required.

Enes Stastoli

So i want to use enpass portable but i have a few questions. What i don't understand is this, Enpass portable is just an app whose executable files just lie in the usb flash drive in order for you not having to install it every time in every new computer and only to launch it directly from the usb? Why does Enpass portable need to save my Enpass database in a ceratin location in the computer? What happens to those files saved from Enpass portable if i remove my enpass portable usb? Does Enpass portable always need to load my passwords from the cloud in new computers, because it is self understanding that in new and temporary computers i have no record of my password database. If so that is a huge problem because the password of my cloud account is saved only on enpass and i cannot remember it, thus making my access inside my passwords database impossible? If i chose to save a backup file inside the USB flash drive in order for my password database to be accessible from Enpass portable, than how safe is it? Are any of the passwords even saved on the USB drive?  I believe that Enpass needs to address a lot of questions like these, by improving its "Getting started guide for Enpass portable" and making it more user friendly, and also improving the UI of the "Welcome to Enpass portable" screen by making it more helpful and easier to understand and navigate. And also why don't i see an option to restore data from iCloud? I would appreciate any response to this matter.

Edited by Enes Stastoli
changing my point of view

Guest Vikram Dabas

Hi @Enes Stastoli

Thanks for writing in. All the answers related your queries are given in Italics:

• Why does Enpass portable need to save my Enpass database in a certain location in the computer? 
    • Portable version saves Enpass database only at the location defined by you (which you choose every time while starting the Portable version) and it's up to you where you want to save the data. To keep your data always in USB drive, you need to point to the location on USB device and Enpass will then tell you unavailability of any data there, and will prompt you to create or restore existing data.  Now once you have created/restored the database inside the USB drive, you’ll need to point to that directory every time to access data, and in this process, your data will not be saved anywhere else. 
  • What happens to those files saved from Enpass portable if i remove my enpass portable usb?
    • If you chose to keep your database file on every desktop, then it will remain there in encrypted format. Otherwise you can create/restore your database on USB drive (at first start of Portable) and refer to that location every time on every PC you use.
  • Does Enpass portable always need to load my passwords from the cloud in new computers, because it is self understanding that in new and temporary computers i have no record of my password database. If so that is a huge problem because the password of my cloud account is saved only on enpass and i cannot remember it, thus making my access inside my passwords database impossible?
    • No, you can access it from the Enpass data folder in USB drive by pointing it to.
  • If i chose to save a backup file inside the USB flash drive in order for my password database to be accessible from Enpass portable, than how safe is it?
    • The safety of your database always depends on your Master Password as Enpass encrypts all your database with your Master Password. So if your master password is strong enough, you don't need to worry about your database's security.
  • Are any of the passwords even saved on the USB drive?
    • As I said above, it all depends on where you choose to save. Enpass saves all your database at the defined location, nowhere else. Further, all the encryption and decryption functions are done there.
  • I believe that Enpass needs to address a lot of questions like these, by improving its "Getting started guide for Enpass portable" and making it more user friendly, and also improving the UI of the "Welcome to Enpass portable" screen by making it more helpful and easier to understand and navigate.
    • Noted and will be updated soon.
  • Why don't i see an option to restore data from iCloud?
    • Currently, Enpass supports iCloud support only in Mac App store version. 

Hope this helps!

11 hours ago, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi @Enes Stastoli

Thanks for writing in. All the answers related your queries are given in Italics:

• Why does Enpass portable need to save my Enpass database in a certain location in the computer? 
    • Portable version saves Enpass database only at the location defined by you (which you choose every time while starting the Portable version) and it's up to you where you want to save the data. To keep your data always in USB drive, you need to point to the location on USB device and Enpass will then tell you unavailability of any data there, and will prompt you to create or restore existing data.  Now once you have created/restored the database inside the USB drive, you’ll need to point to that directory every time to access data, and in this process, your data will not be saved anywhere else. 
  • What happens to those files saved from Enpass portable if i remove my enpass portable usb?
    • If you chose to keep your database file on every desktop, then it will remain there in encrypted format. Otherwise you can create/restore your database on USB drive (at first start of Portable) and refer to that location every time on every PC you use.
  • Does Enpass portable always need to load my passwords from the cloud in new computers, because it is self understanding that in new and temporary computers i have no record of my password database. If so that is a huge problem because the password of my cloud account is saved only on enpass and i cannot remember it, thus making my access inside my passwords database impossible?
    • No, you can access it from the Enpass data folder in USB drive by pointing it to.
  • If i chose to save a backup file inside the USB flash drive in order for my password database to be accessible from Enpass portable, than how safe is it?
    • The safety of your database always depends on your Master Password as Enpass encrypts all your database with your Master Password. So if your master password is strong enough, you don't need to worry about your database's security.
  • Are any of the passwords even saved on the USB drive?
    • As I said above, it all depends on where you choose to save. Enpass saves all your database at the defined location, nowhere else. Further, all the encryption and decryption functions are done there.
  • I believe that Enpass needs to address a lot of questions like these, by improving its "Getting started guide for Enpass portable" and making it more user friendly, and also improving the UI of the "Welcome to Enpass portable" screen by making it more helpful and easier to understand and navigate.
    • Noted and will be updated soon.
  • Why don't i see an option to restore data from iCloud?
    • Currently, Enpass supports iCloud support only in Mac App store version. 

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your response. Loving enpass :D