Enpass Discussion Forum

Chrome Extension Watching Clicks

Chrome Extension Watching Clicks

Hello,

I've been using Enpass for a few months now and have been very please (bought it almost immediately via the smartphone license).

However I have found one annoyance. I do web development full time and noticed that Chrome was constantly warning about click handler's taking some 300+ms. I ended up realizing it was the Enpass extension that was taking up a huge majority of this time (~70ms after disabling the extension).
What exactly is Enpass doing with such click events? I assume it's looking for fields to autofill? Is there any way to disable this and not invoke the extension at all until the hotkey is pressed?

Thanks

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @Zigsaz

Wow, glad to know that you like Enpass and love doing web development. Keep 'em up!!

16 hours ago, Zigsaz said:

What exactly is Enpass doing with such click events? I assume it's looking for fields to autofill?

Enpass monitors the button click events for Login/Submit buttons to take the further actions.

Is there any way to disable this and not invoke the extension at all until the hotkey is pressed?

Sorry to say that there is no way to stop Enpass from monitoring the click events, and you have to disable the Enpass extension for that.

Chrome was constantly warning about click handler's taking some 300+ms. I ended up realizing it was the Enpass extension that was taking up a huge majority of this time (~70ms after disabling the extension).

I would really appreciate if you can throw more light on it i.e.  when and why Chrome is warning you while developing something. Understand that would open doors for us to understand the real cause behind the scene and if possible we will fix that.

Cheers!

Hi @Akash Vyas,

Certainly, I can give as much info as I could dig up.

The warnings appear in Chrome's devconsole when you have logging set to include Verbose (previous versions of Chrome had this disabled by default I believe). Here's an example:

1503591599.thumb.png.c868f9e223ba1ee90322b166fdd77b6b.png

Obviously 200-300ms is no big deal for average users, but I was looking for reasons why our animations were feeling a bit choppy. And when I looked at a timeline trace of the click I noticed a good chunk of the time was spent in Enpass' content.js.

1503591888.thumb.png.ad4b0ee3ed6e214a49a13bf74676fadc.png

I took a cursory look through content.js, but couldn't make much of it since it had been minified. However I did notice in the DOM that Enpass was attaching data to some 300 elements on the page, so perhaps there might be some way to reduce what elements it considers important?

1503592219.png.eec65c394b53bf6d562e6123973f5761.png

Thanks for looking into it!

Edited by Zigsaz

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey @Zigsaz

Thanks for sharing the detailed explanation. I've shared it with the dev team to look into it further and I'll keep you posted. 

Thanks for your cooperation.