Enpass Discussion Forum

License activation without Enpass servers

laibalion

Hi Enpass,

I was wondering, what happens when Enpass servers are no longer reachable for whichever reason (firewall issues, Enpass stops existing, etc...).

If I'm not mistaken, in the 'early' days, you purchased the app, and there was no Enpass server involved with activation, since purchasing the app was all there was to it.
In theory, this meant that in 20 years from now, the application would still be fully operational, even if Enpass as a company no longer would exist (as long as the sync api's to the vaults themselves don't break).

With the current 'activation' approach, this no longer holds true. If the activation servers are no longer operational, there is no way to activate the application.
What is the contingency for this? Would it be possible to store activation, license information in the vaults themselves, which would allow the application to activate, even when there are no Enpass servers.

Hey @laibalion

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Enpass is an offline password manager, and the user's data is saved locally on the device, not on our server. The server license activation comes into action only when a user registers the purchase with us. This registration will allow the user to restore the purchase across multiple platforms.

If the user doesn't register, then the App Store receipt will manage the license, and if purchased, the app's full-version will get automatically unlocked on the device. But this purchase is limited to one platform, and the user will not enjoy cross platform purchase restoration.

And yes, in any case, if the Enpass server isn't working, then it will affect the license activation process on the new devices only.

Hi @Garima Singh

I well understand the nature of Enpass's password storage mechanism (it's one of the reasons I prefer it over some competitors).

I do worry a bit about activation issues in case Enpass servers cease to be available (for whichever reason) at some point.

You mention an App Store receipt, but as far as I can see the App Store versions can't be purchased anymore and in-app activation is needed. As I said, in the past you indeed could purchase the App in the store and no further activation was required, I purchased it on 3 different platforms before all was migrated to Enpass controlled license activation. And when installing today on an Android device, I have to activate it manually by using my registered email address.

Can you please elaborate how Enpass can be purchased in, for example, the Play Store, or how activation would work using an App Store receipt?

Edited by laibalion
Typo

23 minutes ago, laibalion said:

Hi @Garima Singh

I well understand the nature of Enpass's password storage mechanism (it's one of the reasons I prefer it over some competitors).

I do worry a bit about activation issues in case Enpass servers cease to be available (for whichever reason) at some point.

You mention an App Store receipt, but as far as I can see the App Store versions can't be purchased anymore and in-app activation is needed. As I said, in the past you indeed could purchase the App in the store and no further activation was required, I purchased it on 3 different platforms before all was migrated to Enpass controlled license activation. And when installing today on an Android device, I have to activate it manually by using my registered email address.

Can you please elaborate how Enpass can be purchased in, for example, the Play Store, or how activation would work using an App Store receipt?

Just tried it by reinstalling on Android and indeed it automatically displays Enpass Pro - All Access (lifetime).

On Windows however I purchased the UWP version, which has since been discontinued. How does Pro activation happen there now? Seems like it can only be activated now by using registered email address.

Edited by laibalion