Enpass Discussion Forum

OTP autofill developer question

I use premium enpass for years now and I'm really satisfied by it and recommend it to everyone I know.

I'm also a Developer and one thing that I would like to find out is, how we can implement OTP autofill with enpass on our websites?

For example: I visit a webpage, I use my keyboard shortcut to fill out the username and password and submit the form. Now the OTP field shows up and I want enpass to automatically, or with the same keyboard shortcut, to fill out the OTP field.

Is this possible? How does the HTML Input field need to look like? Special name, type or attribute?

Thank you in advance and keep up the good work!

Thank you for being a long-time Enpass user and for recommending it to others. Regarding your question about implementing OTP autofill with Enpass on websites, here's what you need to do:
1. Enable "Automatically copy and fill one-time code after autofill" in your browser settings for Enpass.
2. When you visit a webpage where you've stored the login details in Enpass, use your keyboard shortcut to fill out the username and password. 
3. After autofilling the username and password, when the OTP field appears on the webpage, simply use the keyboard shortcut (CRTL+V) to copy the OTP from Enpass.
Enabling the "Automatically copy and fill one-time code after autofill" setting in your browser settings will allow this workflow to function smoothly with Enpass.

13 hours ago, Amandeep Kumar said:

Thank you for being a long-time Enpass user and for recommending it to others. Regarding your question about implementing OTP autofill with Enpass on websites, here's what you need to do:
1. Enable "Automatically copy and fill one-time code after autofill" in your browser settings for Enpass.
2. When you visit a webpage where you've stored the login details in Enpass, use your keyboard shortcut to fill out the username and password. 
3. After autofilling the username and password, when the OTP field appears on the webpage, simply use the keyboard shortcut (CRTL+V) to copy the OTP from Enpass.
Enabling the "Automatically copy and fill one-time code after autofill" setting in your browser settings will allow this workflow to function smoothly with Enpass.

Thank you for your reply, sadly it doesn't work.

I confirm I have the option activated in the browser extension settings. I fill the user/password credentials with my shortcut. Then the OTP field is shown and I use the same shortcut again. Nothing happens. I also tried the CTRL+V that you have mentioned, but it also is not working.

So I guess enpass is checking the source code of the page for some specific field values. Could you help me define the correct field values so enpass can find the field and correctly identify it as an OTP field?

Currently the field is displayed like that:

<div id="2faver-parent" class="d-flex flex-row justify-content-between">
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 1" type="text" name="2favercode[0]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input" autofocus>
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 2" type="text" name="2favercode[1]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input">
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 3" type="text" name="2favercode[2]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input">
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 4" type="text" name="2favercode[3]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input">
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 5" type="text" name="2favercode[4]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input">
  <input aria-label="two-factor code input field 6" type="text" name="2favercode[5]" maxlength="1" class="form-control twofa-input twofa-input-last" id="twofa-input-last">
</div>

In order to proceed with our investigation, could you please provide the following details: 

• Enpass version and the operating system (OS) version of your device. 
  • Browser details (name and version).  
  • Confirm whether this issue occurs with other browsers too.
  • Confirm whether this issue occurs with some specific websites or with all websites.(Share URL)

Once you provide these details, I'll be better equipped to assist you in resolving the problem.

I'm using the latest enpass version on debian Linux

Tested in Firefox (115.9.1esr (64-Bit)) and Brave (Version 1.64.116 Chromium: 123.0.6312.105 (Official Build) (64-Bit))

It doesn't matter which website, it doesn't work. For example paypal.com doesn't work

• 4 weeks later...

Currently, the extension doesn't fully support filling in all six individual 2FA fields. However, it can automatically populate most of the six-digit TOTP fields because the website handles that internally. The extension intelligently guesses the single TOTP field based on common keywords and tries to autofill it. Then, the website distributes the filled TOTP contents across the six fields. This behavior is also seen in PayPal.