Enpass Discussion Forum

MFA when entering master password

lokdawg78

• 4 weeks later...

+1.  I read the FAQ, I still would feel more comfortable have a second factor to log in to enpass.  Keepass has a "keyfile", which is a file with a really long unique string as contents.  You store that file in a different location than your database.  This gives some peace of mind knowing that if some employee of these cloud based services ever got access to your enpass data file, by accident or on purpose, any local brute force master password attacks would be meaningless.  Yes I do use a long and unique master password, still would be nice.  Just my .02.

IMHO it currently already is two-factor. The first factor is access to the (encrypted!) file. So you usually need username/password to even access WebDAV (or whatever cloud storage you use). So an attacker first has to get past that. If he/she manages that, the file is still encrypted with your master password.

I handle it via NextCloud. My account there is protected with a second factor and for each individual Enpass installation I generate an application password to use (since I obviously cannot use a TOTP token for sync). I guess you cannot be much safer than that. And that is nothing that Enpass can change.

I use icloud.  I'm not concerned with anyone external outside of Apple accessing my files, as you are correct, that is already 2 factor.  I have no idea, no clue, how Apple handles access to data internally, nor who is in charge, nor who could theoretically access files, nor if these people have ill intent.  And I can never know this, nor can anyone outside of apple, and outside of the cloud security people.  Every company, especially one as large as Apple, is a microcosm of society, so you can bet there are now thieves employed there.  I don't know, nor can I ever find out, if any single person can access my files there, especially from someone who would be very happy with getting a copy of an enpass file, secretly.  And although my password is long and unique, I really don't know how long a brute force attack could take.  And as a person here said, keyloggers etc, and it being an apple computer I use, and the extreme sensitive nature of this file, just puts enough doubt there for me to prefer that a single password could access hundreds outside of my control.  Like I said, the author of Keepass thought it enough of a concern to put the "keyfile" feature in, which IMO would suffice.  In fact I would use keepass instead on my mac if there were a decent mac port.  But I do like the enpass interface better actually, just this one point gives me slight pause with using it.  I still maintain it would offer that much more protection, and the "keyfile" like feature doesn't seem like it would be super difficult to implement from a software standpoint.

Well, the online password managers I know (1Password, LastPass, Bitwarden) don't support a higher level of security as well. They use your master password (well, a derivation of it) together with an optional second factor (for example TOTP) to grant you access to the encrypted storage (that is basically the same as the webdav/icloud password in your case) and then the encrypted data gets decrypted locally using your masterpassword. So from that standpoint you should not be more insecure than with these solutions ... only difference being that you have complete control over storage (you ware not forced to use icloud :-)) and that enpass works 100% offline as well. If you simply stop synchronizing with icloud, your local file is still fine.

Anyway: Enpass 6 has keyfile support. If you enable that (for a vault), you then need that together with your master password. Is this maybe enough to cover your case(s)? Then give the Enpass 6 beta a shot. For me it works reliably enough already and afaik the final versions should not be that far out. (Plus: I like the multi vault support!)