Enpass Discussion Forum

Biometric Unlock after Startup

TheColin21

Hi, I am using Enpass on two devices which both have Windows Hello authentication via fingerprint reader activated. On one of them Enpass behaves as I would expect it to. It asks for my fingerpringt whenever I open it up. Also the first time after boot.

On the other one the first unlock always has to be via my (quite long) password. Only later unlocks can happen via fingerprint reader. I would like to change this behaviour to match my first device.

Best regards

Hello @TheColin21,

I certainly understand your concern about the behavior of Windows Hello on your second device. If you are looking forward to use a full-time Windows Hello on both devices, I would like to share that Windows Hello can be used by two devices which are as follows:

1. Never ask for a master password to unlock Enpass (Full-time Windows Hello support): These devices have special hardware– TPM, to securely store the master password. So, we don't ask users to enter the master passwords at the fresh start of Enpass.
  2. Need to enter the master password manually: When the Enpass starts for the first time: These devices may not have TPM hardware or Windows doesn't recognize that device as a valid TPM to support full time unlock.

It seems that you are using type-2 of the device that doesn't support full-time Windows Hello unlocking. The same we have mentioned in the FAQ.

Hello @TheColin21,

Whether the full-time Windows Hello will work on any device totally depends on the Windows itself.

To determine the compatibility of the device to support full-time Windows Hello (feature is only available with Enpass Store version), Enpass relies on this API provided by the Microsoft. It is the only way to distinguish whether the security keys are generated by a legit Hardware TPM. 

I would suggest you to perform the following troubleshooting steps and let me know the results:

1. Remove Windows Hello Fingerprint and PIN from W10 Settings -> User Accounts -> Logon Options.
  2. Setup Windows Hello PIN and Fingerprint again.
  3. Now From the Enpass security settings disable and re-enable Windows Hello and reopen the app.

If still Windows Hello does not work, try these troubleshooting steps