Enpass Discussion Forum

How to log into secondary vault?

RMJM

Up to now I used Enpass only with the 'Standard' vault with the Master password. Today I created a secondary vault and now I wonder, how I could log into this secondary vault with its password. Starting Enpass always presents me the login window with a promt for the Master password of the primary vault.

2 hours ago, RMJM said:

Up to now I used Enpass only with the 'Standard' vault with the Master password. Today I created a secondary vault and now I wonder, how I could log into this secondary vault with its password. Starting Enpass always presents me the login window with a promt for the Master password of the primary vault.

You always (and only) unlock the Primary vault with Enpass for some reason. If however you were to backup the secondary vault and then restore it as a primary vault, you would have to provide the password specific for the former secondary vault (as it's now your primary) 

• Like 2

@Ivarson: thank you for your hint. Yes - it works this way, but then the former secondary vault becomes a primary on a different user account or (for the standalone version of Enpass) on a different USB-stick.

I had the hope, to select different vaults (perhaps via drop-down menu) on the same account / USB-stick. But I think this seems currently to be impossible ... :(

nope, the developers decided that one vault should be the entry point for any additional vaults.

It's a bit odd design and assumes that a user _always_ has and wants a primary vault to be opened prior to any additional.

it does speed up the flow of unlocking if you're having many vaults since you only have to explicitly unlock the primary vault, while it might not be saught after to upon your personal vault to reach eg. company shared vaults.

To open vaults individually, the easiest method today is to run the portable version, choose not to save the vault-paths, and then use the Browse-button upon each launch of Enpass Portable, albeight a pretty clunky method.

I'd advice you to post a feature request (if you haven't done that) if you want this to be easier.

• 1 year later...