Enpass Discussion Forum

How do I consolidate Vaults securely?

bronckhurst

Heya,

I’m in the situation with Enpass Vaults across three devices (iPhone, OSX, Windows)I regularly used. For whatever reason, they’re not properly synced.

I’d like to consolidate them without loosing anything from any Vault. I learned the hard way (using other password managers), that trusting Import buttons and hoping for the best is a bad idea. Your documentation didn't help me to take action yet.

How do I proceed safely without compromising anything? Given I don't know which entries are most recent on which device. :)

Thank you in advance!
Ronny

Edited by bronckhurst

1 hour ago, bronckhurst said:

Heya,

I’m in the situation with Enpass Vaults across three devices (iPhone, OSX, Windows)I regularly used. For whatever reason, they’re not properly synced.

I’d like to consolidate them without loosing anything from any Vault. I learned the hard way (using other password managers), that trusting Import buttons and hoping for the best is a bad idea. Your documentation didn't help me to take action yet.

How do I proceed safely without compromising anything? Given I don't know which entries are most recent on which device. :)

Thank you in advance!
Ronny

Exports shouldn't be done if you're not switching password manager. I would simply create a new vault, set it up with a dedicated cloud sync, and then copy items from all vaults there. 

If you've been good and using unique passwords everywhere you'll also be able to spot potential duplicates via Audit > Identical Passwords 

3 hours ago, Ivarson said:

Exports shouldn't be done if you're not switching password manager. I would simply create a new vault, set it up with a dedicated cloud sync, and then copy items from all vaults there. 

If you've been good and using unique passwords everywhere you'll also be able to spot potential duplicates via Audit > Identical Passwords 

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

I have another question:

Let's say I update an existing items password on a laptop that isn't connected to the internet. Then, on the smartphone, I open the item I just edited (which isn't synced yet) and add a tag or something.

What happens the next time my laptop gets synced? How does Enpass handle this situation?

Hi @bronckhurst

Welcome to the Enpass Forums.

As suggested by @Ivarson, you can set up cloud synchronization on your devices to access your data on multiple devices. You can also refer to this link.

Regarding the situation you mentioned, when you update any Item in your Enpass laptop app which isn't connected to the internet, the Enpass app will save the changes locally. Still, it will throw an error while trying to sync (Unable to connect to the internet). On the other hand, any changes made in your smartphone Enpass app connected to the internet will automatically sync to your cloud account.

When you connect your laptop to the internet again, any changes you have made on your Enpass app on your computer and smartphone will reflect on both of your devices.

• 1 month later...