Enpass Discussion Forum

Vault, data location and backup

Cervoise

Hello Support Team,

I'm little bit confused between data location , vault, and backup.

I'm using Enpass with 4 different vaults located in 4 different drive, 2 One drive and 2 Google drive and I mainly use Enpass in two devices (Computer and smartphone).

Now when I'm looking at the settings in Desktop App or Android App, data location are set in local, however it seems taht I have exactly same data between my two devices.

Then I'm not sure how Enpass works and mainly where my data are ? On drive or on local ? I would say on Drive because of the sync but what the local data is referring to ?

In addition, what would be the best way to ensure regular backups ? On local or on Drive ?

There is no troubleshooting on this topic but just some recommendation to understand the functionning and the best practice of this solution.

Thanks for you help.

Cervoise.

Hi @Cervoise

Since you have synchronized the Vault data via Google Drive and Onedrive, an encrypted copy of your data is stored on your cloud account. In this case, your cloud always contains a copy of same encrypted data as on your device. A copy of your encrypted data is downloaded on your device where is gets decrypted (locally) for real sync operation to merge changes. Afterwards, it gets encrypted again and uploaded back to the cloud.

Regarding backing up your data, it is completely up to you if you would like to set up synchronization or create a backup of your data. However, if you would like to always have access to your data on multiple devices, then synchronization using cloud service would be a better option.