Enpass Discussion Forum

No import by category

Lewisl

I imported 837 items from 1Password.  They were not categorized.  Until you do this, this app is a non-starter.  When you are the new kid on the block attempting to compete on price you must:

1. Have nearly perfect quality--better than the app you are trying to displace, which has years of maintenance, quality fixes, and performance work--so it is very hard to catch up.

2. You must import perfectly or no one will migrate.

You don't have to do anything of course.  Your choice.  If you don't, you won't survive.  Because we have a choice.

This is not about folders.  This is about categories.  You say it is a lot of work to support all the password managers. Indeed it is.  First, focus on size of installed base.  After LastPass and 1Password, it will barely matter what you support.  Second, the work you do to support one will help you with all of the rest (not complete the job--but provide a solid start).  Even if the formats are different, the basic structure is password data is very similar across all products.  Again, entirely up to you...

• 4 weeks later...

So, I'll revise my view that this is not really fatal.  I looked at my 1Password data by category.  Most of my items were logins (not surprising).

So, I filtered by category, selected all, exported the selected items for each category.

Then, I went to Enpass and imported a single category, chose the "import" category, dragged all to the appropriate category. Went through each category.  A minor pain but it didn't take that long and worked.

So, I am good to go.