Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 6 should use Windows AppData folder instead of Documents

hartungstenio

Background

Some time ago (actually, I think it's been a long time), Windows 10 released this feature where I can choose to save my Documents, Pictures and Desktop in OneDrive by default, instead of locally. This has now been improved to a feature known as Known Folder Move.

Enpass saves its data in my Documents folder by default. This has two problems:

• If I use KFM, this data gets synced to OneDrive. When you release mobile apps for Enpass 6, I will have to enable sync, so I will get two copies of my database in OneDrive.
  • It pollutes my Documents folder with data I shouldn't act upon. I can't read it, I shouldn't delete it. It shouldn't be part of my standard backup, etc.

Solution

Enpass should save data to the user's AppData folder by default. The Windows Store version of Enpass 5 already do this, and solves all of those problems.

You could simply enable me to change this folder in Enpass 6 (I can't do it right now), but I don't think it's the best solution since the AppData folder is specifically designed to hold app-specific data. I think it should be the default, and enable people to change it in the settings if they want to.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...