Enpass Discussion Forum

Installation WITHOUT Administrator priviliges?

dvdr

Is there any way, that I can install Enpass 6 without administrator priviliges on a computer at work? I did test-drives with Dashlane and 1Password, but ultimately decided to go with Enpass - it provides all the features, that I want and need.

Interestingly enough, Dashlane and 1Password could be installed on a work-computer running Win7Pro without problems, but Enpass was blocked because of the need for Admin installation priviliges. How comes? Can you change the installation routine, somehow?

On another note: have not tested it on the Win10Pro computer in the other office - but figured, you need to install it via a Microsoft Account, which I think would be problematic at work as well. Will there be a full, downloadable installation file at the website rather than on the Microsoft Account, some time? Or can I download it to a private WIN10-computer and just move the installation file to a USB-drive?

On a third note: I am working a lot with Avid ProTools and Adobe Photoshop/Lightroom. Their "cloud" login sits on small pop-up-windows in the tray, so not a real website, Enpass could discover. Can I get Enpass to ease login on these, somehow, as well?

Thanks for your help.

Hey @dvdr,

Thanks for writing in.

16 hours ago, dvdr said:

Is there any way, that I can install Enpass 6 without administrator priviliges on a computer at work?

Sorry to say no! However, the portable version of Enpass 6 is under the development phase and will be available soon.

16 hours ago, dvdr said:

On another note: have not tested it on the Win10Pro computer in the other office - but figured, you need to install it via a Microsoft Account, which I think would be problematic at work as well. Will there be a full, downloadable installation file at the website rather than on the Microsoft Account, some time?

No, it is not necessary that on Windows 10 you need to install Enpass from Store. You can also use the traditional version downloaded from our website and it will work fine.

16 hours ago, dvdr said:

Will there be a full, downloadable installation file at the website rather than on the Microsoft Account, some time? Or can I download it to a private WIN10-computer and just move the installation file to a USB-drive?

The portable version of Enpass which doesn't need any installation and is ready to use via USB is already under development and it will be available soon. Till then please bear with us.

Hey @Anshu kumar

thank you very much for your helpful answer - what you said about the portable version sounds very promising!

May I add a few other observations, that came up with the use of Enpass? 

- On my Macbook and Windows-Computers:

1. in the settings tab, you offer the use of a proxy server. I do have a VPN account, which of course I would love to use, when I synchronize Enpass to WebDav.  But just entering one of my provider's server-addresses and my login-credentials from the PPTP-setup did not work - synchronizing to WebDav did time out with error message 904007. I guess, there needs to be entered more than just the PPTP-credentials... Is there any way to offer support for personal VPN in the settings, either PPTP or - even better - L2TP/IPsec? This would be a great option without the need to always start an additional third-party VPN client (and help with the portable version for those, who cannot install third party software at work etc.)
  2. On services like Adobe Creative Cloud or  Avid Link, the login screens sit on little popup-screens, that I need to access from the system tray. So they are no real "website windows" and I cannot access them via Enpass (a right click in the credential fields does not bring up Enpass as an option). Is there any way to make these fields accessible, too?

- On my iOS-devices (iPhone, iPad): 

1. when entering login credentials the first time on a website or service, I can access the Enpass-window by clicking on the key symbol, but this window is empty, just telling me, that Enpass did not find the website's URL. In that case, I would love to:
    a.) create an entry for that URL right away (have a + sign to create a new entry) or
    b.) have the option to store the credentials, that I just entered at the website plus the website-URL to Enpass as a new entry, just like on the Desktop versions - this is not possible right now on iOS.
  2. On services / websites using TOTP,  the current TOTP-number is not copied to the clipboard automatically (no matter, what options of Enpass I switch on). So on these websites, I have to leave the current window, open Enpass, unlock it, manually look for the entry, manually copy the TOTP, go back to the website and paste the TOTP. Could you make it work as flawlessly on iOS as in the desktop-version by automatically putting the TOTP in the clipboard, please?   ((UPDATE: on some sites, it seemed to work, but for now, it stays unclear, when and why it failed with others))
  3.  Changing to a stronger password on an existing login/website is not as straightforward and automated as in the desktop version of Enpass. I have found no way so far to change to a stronger password in iOS but to open Enpass separately, manually create a new password, store it, copy it, go back to the website and paste it manually. It really would be great, if this would work as perfectly automated as in the desktop version of Enpass.

- As a general note:

1. there is a 5MB attachment-size restriction. I tried to attach photos I took on the iPhone from my passport and PDF-files from scans of written down passwords and most of them were not accepted by Enpass due to the attachment-size restriction. Is there any reason for this and could that either be lifted or at least made changeable in options? I use a personal WebDav for synchronizing, so I would have no problem with larger Enpass-files...

Thank you very much for listening and, as I previously said: I deliberately chose Enpass over other products because of its features. Keep up the good work!

Edited by dvdr