Enpass Discussion Forum

Say HellO to Enpass for Android 'O'

Guest Vikram Dabas

Guest Vikram Dabas

Hi folks!

Say HellO to Enpass for Android 'O'

We have just released a Beta update v 5.5.5 for Android. This update aims esp Android 'O' users to help us improving the auto-filling using new Android auto-fill framework. For more details check out the blog post.

You can grab the Beta version from here. The complete changelog for this beta is

• Autofill in Android 'O'- Now Android O users can auto-fill in noted apps using new Android auto-fill framework. Also, you can save new logins in the app with the framework.
  • Option to capture screenshot- Added an option in Enpass' Advanced settings to allow you to take screenshots of Enpass screen.
  • Fixes an issue where the search box was being blacked out while auto-filling using Notifications.
  • Other fixes.

Enjoy this pre-release and don't forget to share your feedback.

Cheers!

Enpass_Autofill_in_Android_O.gif

Thanks so much for getting this out so quickly! I was hoping to get to try this out soon.

One quick note from limited usage so far is that it appears a bit limited in that it will only search for a specific title/string that much be specified by the app and if it can't find that string as an entry in the system then it does not let you search.

As an example, my bank's name is First Interstate Bank and I have an entry in my database with that as the name and it includes the url to their login page.  I've used this entry in the past to log into the app using the old enpass keyboard fill method just fine, though I have to search for the name.  With this new method, when I click on the "Unlock Enpass" dialog to use the new autofill it unlocks and then goes right back to the bank app with a messages saying that it could not find an entry for "ifs.com"

I see the same behavior trying to use the Anyconnect VPN client which reports back that it couldn't find an entry for "cisco.com"  

Netflix for example worked great as it found that entry just fine and filled the information in without a problem.  Unfortunately though it seems like it is going to be about 50/50 whether the string that you are using to search from the app is going to actually match anything.  Without a way to search for the proper entry when that default string isn't found, this is not going to be very useful as I will end up with more steps to fill in info after this one fails and I have to then fall back to the old keyboard fill method.

That said, I know this is a Beta (as is Android O) and again thanks for getting something out for this new Android O feature so quickly.  Hope this can become a great new feature for Enpass.

Hi guys,

First of all, I would like to thank you all for trying out our beta version. 

We are really sorry that you had to go through some trouble. But the good news is that we have just rolled out another Beta update with the fixes, so please update to the latest beta version. 

Please note that Autofill via Android autofill framework is available only for Android 'O' devices updated to Preview 3.

20 hours ago, kmaxima said:

One quick note from limited usage so far is that it appears a bit limited in that it will only search for a specific title/string that much be specified by the app and if it can't find that string as an entry in the system then it does not let you search.

As an example, my bank's name is First Interstate Bank and I have an entry in my database with that as the name and it includes the url to their login page.  I've used this entry in the past to log into the app using the old enpass keyboard fill method just fine, though I have to search for the name.  With this new method, when I click on the "Unlock Enpass" dialog to use the new autofill it unlocks and then goes right back to the bank app with a messages saying that it could not find an entry for "ifs.com"

I see the same behavior trying to use the Anyconnect VPN client which reports back that it couldn't find an entry for "cisco.com"  

Netflix for example worked great as it found that entry just fine and filled the information in without a problem.  Unfortunately though it seems like it is going to be about 50/50 whether the string that you are using to search from the app is going to actually match anything.  Without a way to search for the proper entry when that default string isn't found, this is not going to be very useful as I will end up with more steps to fill in info after this one fails and I have to then fall back to the old keyboard fill method.

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and detailed explanation is much appreciated. I have penned down your suggestion and we will consider it.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I started using Enpass today because I read about the Android O Autofill API feature. It does work in e.g. the Twitter app, but not on twitter.com (and other sites) in Chrome. I understood that that should work, too. Any idea what the problem might be?