Enpass Discussion Forum

The added value of enpass compared to Google ?

Ludovic

On 8/22/2022 at 11:15 AM, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hi @Ludovic,

Welcome to the Enpass community.

Enpass is a cross-platform offline password management app to securely store passwords and other credentials in a virtual vault locked with a master password. The app does not store user data on its servers, but locally on their own devices in an encrypted format.

You'll soon have to strike out _offline_ in the description, while you can opt out manually from some if it, Enpass dials out alot to check news, license subscription, favicons.

But essentially one aren't tied to use Google Chrome when using a standalone password manager like Enpass.

On 8/22/2022 at 4:15 PM, Gulshan Dogra said:

Hi @Ludovic,

Welcome to the Enpass community.

Enpass is a cross-platform offline password management app to securely store passwords and other credentials in a virtual vault locked with a master password. The app does not store user data on its servers, but locally on their own devices in an encrypted format.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The only main difference is : The app does not store user data on its servers, but locally on their own devices in an encrypted format.

In this case, what happens when : 
- I am on another PC?
- I am on my cell phone?
How can I access the passwords stored on my PC?

What happens if my computer crashes?

I really need to understand what makes me use enpass instead of Google's ability to remember my passwords wherever I am logged in with my Google account.

Thanks

Regards

Ludovic

On 8/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ludovic said:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The only main difference is : The app does not store user data on its servers, but locally on their own devices in an encrypted format.

- I am on another PC?
- I am on my cell phone?

I really need to understand what makes me use enpass instead of Google's ability to remember my passwords wherever I am logged in with my Google account.

Thanks

Regards

Ludovic

“Offline” means we don’t store your passwords, credentials or files on our servers. All your passwords, logins and files are stored (encrypted) locally on your device(s). And you can still synchronize everything using your own cloud accounts.

https://www.enpass.io/

Very few people use Enpass in a strictly offline fashion, it's mostly a slogan to indicate that the user isn't dependent on Enpass to store the items such as many other pwmanagers.

the sellingpoint for Enpass is that, if they where to be breached none of their customers store their data at Enpass, but scattered on various public clouds. And they don't have to provide infrastructure for it.

for the customer, it's also meant to sense of security that the destination of your cloudprovider (google, icloud) is merely a storage facility for your data, it has no idea of it's content or the password.

if you have a laptop or desktop you can also choose to sync internally within you home LAN leaving out public clouds entirely.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2022 at 8:19 AM, Ludovic said:

No, you don't. Just post your whole life publicly on the internet and be done with it. Until this happens. If you don't care about your privacy and security, noone can help you.

@Ludovic 

On 8/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, Ludovic said:

- I am on another PC?
- I am on my cell phone?

Your Enpass database can still be synchronized across multiple devices (between your PC and phone), and that too without sending any data to Enpass server. There are two ways to sync your data between devices: via any of the supported cloud services i.e. Cloud Sync directly between devices over Wi-Fi sync.

On 8/27/2022 at 11:49 AM, Ludovic said:

When that happens, you can retrieve the backups from any cloud service that you use to synchronize your database. In addition to having your Enpass data stored in your cloud service of choice, you can create local backups of your Enpass data for recovery purposes.

On 8/20/2022 at 7:09 AM, Ludovic said:

Hello,

I can't understand the added value of enpass compared to Google which is in charge of remembering our passwords?

Could someone explain me the interest of enpass in this case?

Thanks

You do not have to use enpass especially if you do not know why. All the IT industry solves problems it creates.

If you understand why you need a password manager besides google's one, you will search and find many options. I've found enpass among others and it is quite well as of today. And I mostly use Google but you know, there could be many levels of security.

So what I consider as value added in my case:

1. Enpass has much more field for everything comparing to Google. Enpass allows me to save much more form data to fill them out in future. Also their data structures are not perfect but much better than google's ones. I.e. for a bank card I can add even a phone number in case the card is lost. Obviously it is not a critical information but just a sample for your understanding.

2. It allows to suggest stronger passwords then Google's integrated tool. Not a big deal as you may easily add any number of extra random characters. But anyway it worth mentioning.

3. Some people who know me already know either my pin or cellphone pattern, if I recently entered password Google doesn't even ask for pin again. Sometimes it pre-fills forms, etc.

4. Also it is possible to save any simple offline data to the database. Of course you may use some of password protected notes app.

5. You may split databases saving some data into any of clouds and some locally. 

That's it. Again, I'm not sure if I'll keep using it or switch to another application. But surely good password managers still have some value until Google rips it off, and Google will surely do it in some time. They always do it.