Enpass Discussion Forum

Do you have any advice on setting up and using enpass portable

paulsiu

I was wondering if you have any guideline to use enpass portable. If I setup enpass portable on a USB drive, what can I do to best secure it. I have two concerns.

1. There is a copy of the vault on the drive. The vault is encrypted, so I supposed even if they get the vault they can't easily decrypt the file.
  2. What are the likelyhood that the copmputer I use it on contains a keylogger and logs my master password?

I am wondering about the use caes of the portable enpass. Is it supposed to be used on public computers?

It is NOT a good idea to enter your user/password (even protected by 2FA/MFA) to any site/service on some public/untrusted computer. You never know what runs on such machine, so you should assume it is compromised and risky. Thus, Enpass should not be needed there.

If there is some special one-time emergency case and you have to login somewhere using not your own machine, you should setup 2FA/MFA first on such site/service, simply manually read your password from Enpass (on your mobile for example) and type it in manually. After that, change your password to this site/service ASAP when you are back home.

This makes me question the viability of the enpass portable product. The only safe way to use it is to use it on a computer you know to be safe but can't install enpass on it for some reason. What would such a use case be? I am thinking that if there is access on the go, one should just stick to a mobile device.

Hi @paulsiu

For security reasons, we recommend using the Enpass app on devices which you trust and not on public computers even though your Enpass data is fully encrypted by 256-bit AES encryption with 100,000 rounds of PBKDF2-HMAC-SHA512 using the peer-reviewed and open-source encryption engine SQLCipher.

The main benefit of Enpass portable is that unlike traditional Enpass desktop apps, the portable version does not require installation. You can put it on a USB drive and move between your computers while taking your app and settings with you. To learn more about Enpass Portable, kindly check this link.

Thank you for the clarification.

I would like to add that despite its lack of use caes for portable usage. It's extremely useful as a backup verification. I like to make backup of the vault, but I also like to test that the backup works. One easy way to do this is to setup Enpass Portable and restore the vault and check if all of the entires are in place.

Edited by paulsiu