Enpass Discussion Forum

Database corruption and cloud sync

Mathias Brodala

Does Enpass ensure that a corrupted database is not synced to the cloud?

I want to be sure what happens in the worst case and if my database is corrupted somehow having that broken database synced to the cloud and thus overwrite a good version would be really bad. Since I can only sync to one cloud provider I'd have no way back in this case.

Hello Mathias, Like you we are also very concerned and working on ways to have maximum protection against data corruption.
Although Enpass itself uses SQLCipher to store information in widely tested and secure database but I agree that in a worst case scenario, data file might get corrupted during cloud’s (Dropbox, iCloud etc) own syncing operation.
At the moment, there is no check for corruption before uploading keychain to cloud but internally in our lab we do have a tool to check for data corruption and fix the affected items. Now it has almost been tested on pilot database here and we are planning it to add into main stream code. In coming releases for desktop we are also adding feature of auto-backup to strengthen the data safety against loss and corruption.

For safer side, we always recommend to take manual backups at regular intervals. Keep posting such nice suggestions and check-points to keep us on our toes.

Regards
Ankur

Just to add, this did in fact happen to me once.  Luckily for me though it was on Dropbox was was keeping recent versions saved for me, so I was able to go back in time and restore a working copy. Support was very helpful (even though there wasn't much they could do) when contacting them about the issue.

On 6.4.2016 at 9:00 AM, Ankur Gupta said:

Hello Mathias, Like you we are also very concerned and working on ways to have maximum protection against data corruption.
Although Enpass itself uses SQLCipher to store information in widely tested and secure database but I agree that in a worst case scenario, data file might get corrupted during cloud’s (Dropbox, iCloud etc) own syncing operation.
At the moment, there is no check for corruption before uploading keychain to cloud but internally in our lab we do have a tool to check for data corruption and fix the affected items. Now it has almost been tested on pilot database here and we are planning it to add into main stream code. In coming releases for desktop we are also adding feature of auto-backup to strengthen the data safety against loss and corruption.

For safer side, we always recommend to take manual backups at regular intervals. Keep posting such nice suggestions and check-points to keep us on our toes.

Regards
Ankur

Hi Ankur,

thanks for the insights. How would that auto-backup look like exactly? Would Enpass simply create copies of the database at regular intervals?

I'll add the database file to my regular backup for safety. ;-)

Regards,
Mathias

Yes, it would be great to keep some (save every 2-3 weeks, keep last 3-5) auto-backup files. I do not use public cloud service like Dropbox, I would like to have these files uploaded to my Owncloud share.

Edited by gabor

Hello @Mathias Brodala,

We have Alpha version for Desktops that takes auto backups

• Whenever any significant change is detected in local database or database on connected cloud. 
  • Before performing any operation that may cause database corruption due to any possible reason.

If you have any suggestions or special requirements as per the operational environment at your end, please let us know and we would be very happy to carry forward the discussion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...