Enpass Discussion Forum

Mixed-case in non-pronounceable passwords

Cassiano Leal

Hi @Cassiano Leal,

I think we allready have this possibility. At the password generator in the recipe part you can choose how many letters are Upper-case, Numbers or Symbols. The rest (if one exist) are lower-case letters.

Unbenannt.png.213fc095a2778b002121d5a6db

As you can see above on my screenshot, my password generator is generating passwords with a length of 32. Containing 8 numbers, 8 symbols and 8 upper-case letters. The rest is in my case 8 and therefore I have 8 lower-case letters.

@Enpass-Team

Adjusting the bars to a fixed number is really hard. I think it would be better if we have textboxes, where we can enter the number. It took me several tries to adjust each bar to the number 8.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@edenhaus I disagree. I find the password generator's UX to be lacking. The fact that I had not realised that the bars were an absolute number of characters of each type is an example of that.

On top of that, I have my default password length set to 32 but some websites have a lower maximum number of characters. That means every time I want to create a password for one of these, I have to change my recipe and then change it back afterwards.

Thanks for the heads up though, it's really helpful. I have now adjusted my bars to account for the (hidden) lowercase char type.

@Hemant Kumar I would suggest that the bars on the recipe generator did not translate to absolute numbers of characters of each type but rather weights, so that whatever the total number of characters my password has, it will auto-adjust. It might also make passwords a bit less predictable if the weights wouldn't always translate to the same number of characters relative to the total. A little bit of randomisation would be nice.

The fact that there is a hidden character type (lowercase chars) smells of really bad UX as well, so I'd appreciate if that were fixed.

Hi @Cassiano Leal,

I agree you with the weights. This of course would be better and I hope the Enpass-Team will replace the bars or add a textbox, where we can directly insert our number.

I never saw a website, where the amount of lowercase letters whats specified. I only saw some website where the total amount of characters was set to 16 or another value.

But when we give already some suggestion about the password generator, then it would be nice, if we can specify which symbols, we want to use. Some websites only allow some symbols.

• 5 weeks later...