Jump to content
Enpass Discussion Forum

Need for a decent category / folder management


holongate

Recommended Posts

Categories are useless:

There is no way to add/delete/rename them, just hide them, which says a lot on their true utility...

Once an item has been associated with a category there is no way to remove it from all categories: you have no choice but to remove the item itself or move it to another category.

Folders are painful to use beyond a couple of items:

There is no way to MOVE an item between folders with drag and drop: Drag & drop will COPY it and then you will need to REMOVE the old one yourself...

The drag & drop shift/control/alt modifiers are not even following the basic GUI semantics.

After an import everything is put inside an "import" category. Ok but when you move them into folders for organizing them, they stay in that category forever (or in another category, see point #2).

Good luck to remember which items have already been organized after importing a couple hundred of them...

Categories / folders are two badly designed concepts that overlap. Just keep the folders and make them working like true folders one can find in all other applications.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @holongate,

Thanks for your feedback and we do value of every single word of it.

16 hours ago, holongate said:

There is no way to add/delete/rename them, just hide them, which says a lot on their true utility...

Once an item has been associated with a category there is no way to remove it from all categories: you have no choice but to remove the item itself or move it to another category.

The feature of custom categories is already in our roadmap for future version.

 

16 hours ago, holongate said:

Folders are painful to use beyond a couple of items:

There is no way to MOVE an item between folders with drag and drop: Drag & drop will COPY it and then you will need to REMOVE the old one yourself...

The drag & drop shift/control/alt modifiers are not even following the basic GUI semantics.

 

We have fixed this issue in the current beta version with option to move items with 'Drag n Drop' and will be available very soon with the next release. You can get and try out the Beta version as mentioned in the posts below

For Mac:

For Windows:  

 

16 hours ago, holongate said:

After an import everything is put inside an "import" category. Ok but when you move them into folders for organizing them, they stay in that category forever (or in another category, see point #2).

 

Actually this is the default behaviour of App. When you create or import any item it will save items in All items or Import categories respectively. And when you move items to particular folder it will generate a reference of that particular item in the folder leaving the item in category. BTW, you can hide the unwanted categories from the Sidebar using Menu->View->Sidebar.

Hope this helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Privacy Policy