Jump to content
Enpass Discussion Forum

Good service for sharing vaults?


Recommended Posts

I want to share a vault with my fiancée and I was thinking that Google Drive would be a good option.  I already pay them for email & drive service.  But I'm not finding the vault under the drive interface so I don't know how to invite her to access it.

How do I invite someone to access my enpass vault?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What's a good service for sharing vaults these days?  What are people happy using?

I want something that can be accessed from a broad variety of machines, so I think that rules out iCloud.  And I'd really rather NOT share a password.  So I'd like something akin to Google Drive where I can individually share access to the file with another user.

What's a good way to do that with Enpass today?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @uselessdetails,

I understand your concern about sharing a vault with your fiancée via Google Drive. However, I would like to inform you that the folder that will try to share with your known person will be encrypted by your master password and they won't be able to access it. To share vault item(password, images, etc.) your known person should also have Enpass app installed. Recommend you read the FAQ regarding sharing vaults and let me know if that helps.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @uselessdetails,

Welcome to the Enpass community,

Once you have set up multiple vaults  in Enpass, you can easily share them with your family, friends or colleagues using cloud synchronisation. However, there are a few points that you must keep in mind before sharing a vault:

  • You need to share the password of the vault (not primary) which you’re sharing with other users.
  • You’ll have to share the login details of the cloud account with each user you want to share the vault with.

Note: We recommend creating a separate cloud account for sharing vaults to protect personal cloud account’s privacy. 

Every person having access to the vault has full permissions to read, write (delete) any item from the vault, or even change the vault password as you can’t set any sharing attributes or access permissions. For more information refer to this link.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Manish Chokwal said:

However, I would like to inform you that the folder that will try to share with your known person will be encrypted by your master password and they won't be able to access it.

That's the reverse problem. 

Yes, I understand that the vault won't be usable without the vault password.  But I also don't want to be sharing everything else in my Google drive.  The Google approach to that is to keep my personal password secret and to invite access on a file-by-file, (or directory-by-directory), basis.

I pay them for support on a monthly basis and I don't relish the idea of either paying extra for a separate account solely for the purpose of creating a bad data sharing config nor of using a free account when I'm already paying.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Gulshan Dogra said:
  • You’ll have to share the login details of the cloud account with each user you want to share the vault with.

 

That's the problem.
Google Drive and several others offer a means of sharing data without sharing an account.  I'm astonished to hear that those aren't available here.  Is it really true that none of those mechanisms are available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What you could consider is a dummy Gmail account, it will come with 15Gb storage (that should be enough for even the biggest vaults). Or you could do the same with Dropbox, which will offer 2Gb for free. You can share the login to that account with your fiancée and just use it for the shared vault. I agree it's not ideal but I guess it is more a shortcoming of Google et al than of Enpass...

It is also possible to share through WiFi but I'm not too familiar with that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You should be able to share the file and send your fiancee a link as in any other file share, unless I misunderstand the scenario.

That being said, since this will be a "shared" file and vault with another individual, I'd recommend creating a separate Enpass vault with only those credentials you want to share with your fiancee. That way any other credentials are kept in your personal vault and not being shared.

Additionally, there's also the ability to use the wifi sync - that may or may not be applicable. I don't know your life :)

Enjoy.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, genbushi said:

You should be able to share the file and send your fiancee a link as in any other file share, unless I misunderstand the scenario.

That's what I was hoping for.  But I don't see the file in my Drive to share it.  I presume that it's hidden somehow.

And the Enpass interface only asks for service and then authenticates against the service.  There's no "file" or "location" specification that I see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, SophiaB said:

What you could consider is a dummy Gmail account, it will come with 15Gb storage (that should be enough for even the biggest vaults). .... I agree it's not ideal but I guess it is more a shortcoming of Google et al than of Enpass...

I don't agree that it's a failing of Google.  Google offers me the ability to share individual files, but apparently I can't share my vault that way.  And Enpass doesn't offer me a way to "dial in" the vault, even if I could share it.

I did create a dummy account but that's unsatisfactory for several reasons.  The biggest one is that I'm already paying Google monthly for support.  I don't really want to add another account to my support bill just for this alone.  But at the same time, I don't really want to use an unsupported account for passwords.

This is old tech.  Enpass is usually right on top of most things.  I'm surprised there isn't a well documented story for this use case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ah, I think I understand.

Are you syncing the vault to Google Drive via the builtin Enpass capability to sync to Google Drive?

I don't believe this is an Enpass issue. Google Drive makes connected app data hidden, https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/appdata , "This folder is only accessible by your application and its contents are hidden from the user and from other Drive apps", 

I just setup a test vault and yeah nothing. So this would not likely work with Google Drive the way you'd like to share it, but its Google that has this behavior not Enpass.

That being said, the vault can be placed on Google Drive manually by either uploading a backup from Enpass, or changing the default Enpass vault location to a folder that's synced on your computer with Google Drive, those then could be shared via regular sharing methods.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, genbushi said:

Ah, I think I understand.

Are you syncing the vault to Google Drive via the builtin Enpass capability to sync to Google Drive?

I don't believe this is an Enpass issue. Google Drive makes connected app data hidden, https://developers.google.com/drive/api/v3/appdata , "This folder is only accessible by your application and its contents are hidden from the user and from other Drive apps", 

I just setup a test vault and yeah nothing. So this would not likely work with Google Drive the way you'd like to share it, but its Google that has this behavior not Enpass.

That being said, the vault can be placed on Google Drive manually by either uploading a backup from Enpass, or changing the default Enpass vault location to a folder that's synced on your computer with Google Drive, those then could be shared via regular sharing methods.

So far, yes, Enpass capability.

As to whether this is an Enpass issue, I hear that it's arguable.  However, the functionality that I'm missing is missing in Enpass.  They could have worked with Google, or used a plan file in their internal capability.  Or... (easiest yet)... documented this workflow.

I hear you on moving a backup.  That'll probably give me what I want.  Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...