Enpass Discussion Forum

cannot get a browser extension to connect.

navaho

Using both Firefox and/or Chrome on Pop!_OS, an Ubuntu derivative.  Have UFW disabled.  The extensions are unable to connect to Enpass, which is running. 

Enpass Assistant is unable to connect with the Enpass app.

The logs are super unhelpful:

• 2/4/2024, 12:58:35 PM : Got Error
  • 2/4/2024, 12:59:30 PM : Got Error
  • 2/4/2024, 1:00:38 PM : Got Error
  • 2/4/2024, 1:01:01 PM : Got Error
  • 2/4/2024, 1:02:40 PM : Got Error

When I do try to connect the extension to the app the app does open and prompt me for a password. The Enable Browser extensions checkmark is checked. The list of browsers requesting to connect is blank.  Seems the app is listening:

UFW is disabled.

pop-os:~/.local/share/flatpak/app$ lsof -i:10391
COMMAND   PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
Enpass  35476 navaho   31u  IPv4 347040      0t0  TCP localhost:10391 (LISTEN)

pop-os:~/.local/share/flatpak/app$ lsof -i:10391
COMMAND   PID   USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF NODE NAME
Enpass  35476 navaho   31u  IPv4 347040      0t0  TCP localhost:10391 (LISTEN)

At this point I don't know what the what the extension is doing. The logs are super unhelpful in that regard. Not sure what to do next to get this working.

If you're currently experiencing the reported issue, please ensure the following steps on your PC: 

• Verify that your browser does not have a verification code signature by re-downloading it from its legitimate source and trying again. 
  • Ensure that you are not using any VPN connection. 
  • Confirm that the Enpass application is running on your PC. 
  • Make sure the latest version of Enpass is installed on your PC. 
  • Check if the browser has been blocked from making connections to the Enpass app. To unblock the browser, open Enpass, go to Settings > Browser > Browser Authentication, and click "Review Browser." Find your browser and click "Remove." 

On 2/5/2024 at 6:52 AM, Amandeep Kumar said:

If you're currently experiencing the reported issue, please ensure the following steps on your PC: 

• Verify that your browser does not have a verification code signature by re-downloading it from its legitimate source and trying again. 
    I have no idea what this means by verification code signature however both browsers were installed using the package manager.

• Ensure that you are not using any VPN connection. 
    Not using a VPN

• Confirm that the Enpass application is running on your PC. 
    navaho@pop-os:~$ ps axf | grep enpass
       6076 ?        SN     0:00  |   \_ bwrap --args 43 enpass
       6085 ?        SN     0:00  |       \_ bwrap --args 43 enpass
       6086 ?        SNLl   0:03  |           \_ /app/extra/enpass/Enpass

• Make sure the latest version of Enpass is installed on your PC. 
    I have 
    6.9.2 (1563), the latest version.

• Check if the browser has been blocked from making connections to the Enpass app. To unblock the browser, open Enpass, go to Settings > Browser > Browser Authentication, and click "Review Browser." Find your browser and click "Remove." 

It is blank, which is as expected since nothing can connect.

Is there a way to make the logs more useful? I will email support in the hopes of receiving more than a generic answer.

More from syslog

Feb  6 18:53:36 pop-os systemd[1980]: Started app-flatpak-io.enpass.Enpass-10538.scope.
Feb  6 18:53:36 pop-os Enpass[10546]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Feb  6 18:53:36 pop-os Enpass[10546]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
Feb  6 18:53:36 pop-os xdg-desktop-portal[10546]: Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket
Feb  6 18:53:41 pop-os io.enpass.Enpass.desktop[6086]: PulseAudioService: pa_context_connect() failed
Feb  6 18:53:43 pop-os systemd[1980]: Starting Tracker metadata extractor...
Feb  6 18:53:43 pop-os systemd[1980]: Started Tracker metadata extractor.
Feb  6 18:53:48 pop-os io.enpass.Enpass.desktop[6086]: PulseAudioService: pa_context_connect() failed

libcanberra-gtk3-module is already the newest version (0.30-10ubuntu1.22.04.1).
libcanberra-gtk3-module set to manually installed.
libcanberra-gtk-module is already the newest version (0.30-10ubuntu1.22.04.1).
libcanberra-gtk-module set to manually installed.

To investigate further, please execute the following command:

```
lsof -i:10391
```

If there is no output (blank), please try the command with other port numbers between 10391 to 10395.

Let me know if you need any further assistance or clarification. I'm here to help!

Seemingly there is no support for this product.  I also sent an email to support. It was responded to by the very same person. As he did not read my posts, similarly, he did not read the email that he responded to.  Seems there is no competency in the support of this product. Shameful.

Hi @navaho
I'd like to confirm that we have indeed escalated the issue you reported to our development team. They are currently investigating and working on reproducing the problem on their end. Fixing any potential issues may take some time, but please rest assured that we are fully committed to resolving this matter as quickly as possible. Your patience and understanding are greatly appreciated.

#SI-3666

On 2/12/2024 at 6:20 PM, Ivarson said:

This isn't an official package, is it?

Try the Deb-packages from Enpass official Ubuntu repo instead 

"KNOWN ISSUES: - Browser extension unable to connect to application with default permissions. - The extensions will open the application, but not establish a connection." 

https://flathub.org/apps/io.enpass.Enpass

Thank you. It is the latest version, 6.9.2.1563. Alas there is no mention of an inability to use browser extensions on the release notes page. A simple mention would have prevented so much frustration.
https://www.enpass.io/release-notes/linux/

This severely cripples the product.  I'll tinker around with it and see what permissions are the problem. I appreciate your pointing me in this direction.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 5:46 AM, Amandeep Kumar said:

Thank you for your feedback. Rest assured, our team is actively addressing this issue and working to resolve it as quickly as possible.

I doubt that pretty highly.  Anyway........

Anyhow, the answer turns out to be pretty simple. DO NOT install via Flatpack. It doesn't have permissions to connect. DO install using the instructions provided Here.  Your browser extensions will work going that route. At least they did for me after i uninstalled the Flatpak version and followed them.  Can't blame Enpass for this as they DO NOT provide the Flatpak version.

@ivarson was 100% correct all along.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AnakinCaesar said:

All official releases are listed here aswell as how to obtain them: https://support.enpass.io/app/getting_started/installing_enpass.htm

You may want to let your support representatives know that the flatpak is NOT an official version.  I just received this response from them:

Hey there,

The Flatpak version of Enpass is indeed an official version provided by Enpass itself. Flatpak is a packaging format that allows developers to create and distribute applications across different Linux distributions. Enpass offers its application through Flatpak to ensure compatibility and ease of installation across various Linux systems.

You can download the Enpass Flatpak version from trusted sources such as the official Enpass website or reputable app repositories like Flathub. By obtaining Enpass through these official channels, you can be confident that you are using a legitimate version of the application.

If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to reach out.

Best regards,

Warm regards,
Enpass Support Team | https://discussion.enpass.io/
Stay connected on Twitter (@EnpassApp) and Facebook for the latest happenings in Enpass.

3 hours ago, AnEnpassUser said:

You may want to let your support representatives know that the flatpak is NOT an official version.  I just received this response from them:

While I do not understand what you are trying to imply let me clarify neither do I work for Enpass nor is my answer always right, I just quoted the official DL page.

Edited by AnakinCaesar

20 hours ago, AnakinCaesar said:

While I do not understand what you are trying to imply let me clarify neither do I work for Enpass nor is my answer always right, I just quoted the official DL page.

Sorry, wasn't implying anything.  I was confused.

• Haha 1

Frankly, I question any information from Amandeep.

I'll go with this

https://flathub.org/apps/io.enpass.Enpass

CLEARLY states "NOTE: This wrapper is not verified by, affiliated with, or supported by Enpass Technologies Inc."

Why would it say that if Enpass built that wrapper and provided it?   The question is moot however, as it also doesn't work with browser extensions.  It's useless. Don't waste your time with it.

Further, the very page that he linked, the official Enpass download page does NOT have a flatpak version that you or I can see.

I would like to share that Enpass browser extension communicates to the Enpass app over the localhost address.  So please check and verify that the any third-party security related software or extension /Firewall is not interfering with the localhost connections (127.0.0.1) with port number 10391-10395

Also, run lsof -i:10391 command in the terminal and share the output.

• 10391 is the port number here.

If it shows no output (blank), please try with other port numbers between 10391 to 10395.

Posted (edited)

Third time now. That information is in the very first post of this thread and in the email that I sent to support which unfortunately you received.  A post which you clearly are unwilling or unable to read.  Your level of support is the absolute worst and I'm sorry that I spent the money on your program. Your support is completely nonexistent and incompetent at best.

Edited by navaho