Enpass Discussion Forum

One version with all features for Windows 10?

motocoder

I recently switched from 1Password to Enpass due to its support for syncing with OneDrive and better support for Windows Phone. The app was recommended to me by some of my coworkers. I am very happy with the app, and have purchased it for both my Windows Phone and my iPad. However, I am a little confused about the different versions for the Windows platform.

From what I see, there is a Windows desktop version and a "UWP" version that can run on both the desktop and Windows Phone 10. However, it seems that Windows Hello is supported in the UWP version, but not the desktop version. Conversely, browser plug-ins are supported in the desktop version, but not the UWP version. So if one wants both Windows Hello support, and browser plug-in support, this is not possible.

Is my understanding correct, and if so, why can we not have one version that supports both features? I have a SurfaceBook, which has excellent hardware for Windows Hello - way better than my phone. So it would be great to have the ability to use Windows Hello so that I don't have to type in my master password and the browser plug-ins so I don't have to copy/paste passwords between apps.

Thanks

Hi @motocoder,

First of all, Welcome to the Enpass Family! 

We have two versions of Enpass for Windows. One we call as Traditional version which is free as part of our Desktop version scheme and is more powerful due to access to wide range of system APIs (for browser extensions) while the other one downloadable from Windows Store is the UWP version which is paid and based on windows latest universal platform design.

17 hours ago, motocoder said:

There is a Windows desktop version and a "UWP" version that can run on both the desktop and Windows Phone 10. However, it seems that Windows Hello is supported in the UWP version, but not the desktop version

The Traditional windows version currently doesn't have access to Windows Hello Support (due to lack of required APIs) but soon we will provide the quick unlock using PIN code.

17 hours ago, motocoder said:

Conversely, browser plug-ins are supported in the desktop version, but not the UWP version. So if one wants both Windows Hello support, and browser plug-in support, this is not possible.

UWP Apps on Windows can not communicate with traditional Apps like Chrome, Firefox browsers (architectural issues)  and also doesn't support the external browser extensions due to sandbox restrictions and unavailability of required APIs to communicate with third party Apps. So to use browser extensions you have to stick with the traditional Windows PC App.

Hope it helps!

Cheers,

On 7/27/2016 at 5:52 AM, Anshu kumar said:

The Traditional windows version currently doesn't have access to Windows Hello Support (due to lack of required APIs) but soon we will provide the quick unlock using PIN code.

Thank you in advance!!!  PIN entry would be more than acceptable.  PLEASE consider an option to use the PIN even after restarting Enpass, it's an issue to enter in my password on a touch tablet.  yes I know there is a security issue, I guess it will be up to the user to determine if they need that feature.

• Like 1