Enpass Discussion Forum

.Enpass-RecentPaths.conf

My1

why is that file in my user folder?

isnt the whole point of a portable application that it is ENTIRELY contained in its application folder?

This also heavily relates to the issue that enpass cant just do its database file automatically in its own folder.

Hi @My1,

While choosing Enpass database location on startup of Portable version, you have an option to remember this location on that perticular system. Only If you check this option, the chosen path will be saved in this file so that next time you open EnpassPortable version it will show this path in the recent list.

The reason behind is path of same folder in a flash drive varies with the system and its configuration.

Screen Shot 2016-09-27 at 3.36.36 PM.png

@Ankur Gupta but couldnt enpass portable just use relative paths?

thereby staying entirely contained in itself without the user even having to do anything

and even if using relative paths directly wouldnt be an option it could be possible that enpass determines its path for itself and then builds abolute paths upon that.

Edited by My1

Hi @My1,

Thanks for you input. We had given it a thought in planning phase. However, relative path fails in the cases where more than one partitions are available on the drive. We can't assume that the data and executable are both on the same partition. For example, you can't install Linux version of Enpass portable on a FAT partition alongside with Windows & Mac version; you need to create a EXT2/3/4 formatted second partition for that. Another case, many of our users will install & use Enpass Portable on the main system (multi-partitioned) rather than portable USB drive for different reasons.

why do you need an ext partition to run enpass portable on linux? sorry I dont understand.

but one thing it could do for people who dont use it cross platform would be an option to just contain itself entirely. or search for the db inside the enpass folder, if it's there, default to it, if not do as it is now.

and I use enpass portable on the work PC on the harddrive either but I like portable software since they are entirely self contained meaking it easy to remove them without traces (I know that there's recovery software and stuff but that's another story).

and for people using enpass portable on system I also think it makes more sense that those people have the data inside the enpass directory because that's how pretty much all the portable softwares work.

Edited by My1

Hello @My1,

FAT file system doesn't have executable permission flag (+x) due to which Linux can not launch executables from that.

This is a very early stage of Portable version and has a big scope of improvements. We are listening to customers and really very thankful to you for your inputs.  Please feel free to share your thoughts and we will discuss them in internal meetings to include in coming releases.