Enpass Discussion Forum

BUG: Master Password conflict

Maceo

Hi,

I shall try to explain this as clearly as possible. I am using the universal app.

1. I installed Enpass Universal App for first time. I then configured it to sync with OneDrive.
  2. I also installed the Windows Phone version on my phone, told it I am existing user and it all worked and synced ok.
  3. I then decided to change my Master Password using the PC Universal app.
  4. Everything worked ok. The phone app worked ok after I entered the new master password.
  5. The next day I couldn't log into either the PC or phone app! The new master password I entered was definitely correct. At this point I couldn't remember my old master password.
  6. decided to uninstall Enpass on my PC and phone and deleted the Enpass folder on my Onedrive
  7. I reinstalled Enpass and I picked new masterpassword and also then enabled syncing to my OneDrive.
  8. Next day Enpass would not let me log on!

I ended up repeating steps 6-8 several times over many days, it become very frustrating as I kept thinking I was entering my new password incorrectly or was going insane! In the end I discovered if you need to reinstall Enpass after changing your master password you have to do following:

1. Make sure you delete the Enpass folder in the cloud.
  2. Reinstall Enpass and pick new user, enter a new master password.
  3. Then go into Settings > Advanced and then click on 'Erase Everything' button.
  4. Then pick your master password again.

It seems Enpass does not clear down all the user data even when you uninstall, this causes a local master password conflict and become locked out shortly afterwards despite going through the process of uninstalling/reinstalling and picking a new password.

If my theory is correct can Enpass team investigate? Please make sure that when a user uninstalls the modern windows Enpass app that ALL local user data is removed, otherwise a user will get locked out after reinstalling and picking a new password. At this point I am scared of reinstalling the phone app encase this causes me to get locked out again!

Edited by Maceo

Hi Maceo,

I am sorry that you're having problem in changing password across devices and thanks a lot for your time in explaining the scenario at your end.

It shouldn't be like as you said in your point 5 that your were not able to unlock Enpass BOTH on Phone and PC using new password. Yes, your Phone will not unlock using new password but your Windows Universal App should, as you changed your master password on that. Changing a password on one device changes it for Enpass on that device and associated cloud. But the master passwords of other devices will not be changed and will stay same. However at the the time of sync on other devices you will be prompted to enter master password of data on cloud. So, you have to change your master password manually on all the devices. 

For more details please visit: https://www.enpass.io/kb/i-am-using-enpass-on-multiple-devices-and-i-have-changed-my-master-password-on-one-device-why-arent-the-rest-of-the-devices-automatically-updated-to-the-new-master-password/

We have some more FAQs related to master password. Please also look at them here https://www.enpass.io/kb/windows-desktop/ Hope this helps! But if you still have problems, please let me know and I will definitely help you in sorting it out.

Hi thanks,

I think everything is ok now. What you described is correct. However I found that upon reinstalling Enpass as a new user and setting a new password I could not logon the following day (no syncing was configured).

I resolved this by uninstalling/installing Enpass picking new user and password BUT then immediately clicking 'Erase Everything' in the settings. I then picked a new password again and turned on syncing.

Fingers crossed everything works ok. I haven't reinstalled Enpass on my phone yet!

1 hour ago, Maceo said:

I think everything is ok now. What you described is correct. However I found that upon reinstalling Enpass as a new user and setting a new password I could not logon the following day (no syncing was configured).

I resolved this by uninstalling/installing Enpass picking new user and password BUT then immediately clicking 'Erase Everything' in the settings. I then picked a new password again and turned on syncing.

The case as you've described sounds weird. Enpass isn't supposed to behave like this. Perhaps there is some misunderstanding.
If possible, I will advise you to please suggest a convenient time on support@enpass.io to have a Skype meeting to resolve this issue in a better way.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have exactly the same problem and still unsolved.

First, I was synchronizing with DropBox but had some issues so switch to Google Drive. Since it is a bug that have been acknowledge and normally solved, I switched back to DropBox.

I am sharing the SAME database accross all my devices and the one from my family :

• Surface Pro 3 : modern version
  • work computer : desktop version (upgraded to 5.0.5 latest version) + Firefox extension
  • various iPhone and Windows phone devices from me, son and wife

Here is description of the issue :

1. Yesterday, I decided to change the Master Password A to B. I made the change at work on the desktop version. I ensured that the synchronization occur. Now, I can only log in with MP B
  2. Then, I switch to my Windows Phone but it still requires my old MP A, even after the synchronization. Then, I choose to change also the MP on the Windows Phone with the new MP B. But then, when doing the synchronization, I am asked to enter the password for Dropbox and none of the old A or new MP B are working ?!?
  3. So I uninstalled the app, reinstalled from the Store and setup back the synchronization from DropBox and the MP asked is still A with no way to change it to B

I have therefore to use different MP for different device and I do not dare doing some changes on the other device by fear or messing even more.

On top of that, I am stuck because I tried to move back to GoogleDrive but when setting up the synchronization, on Windows phone, when I arrive to the approval page of Google Drive, the Cancel / Approve button are greyed with no way to click on them so it is impossible to set up anymore the synchronization with GoogleDrive on Windows Phone...

I must add that now, if I try to change the MP on one Windows device (Surface on W10 or Lumia on W10 Mobile), I cannot because just after the change, the synchronization is asking me to enter the MP and none of the new nor the old one is accepted.

So I have to close the app and just unlock it with my old MP A without any possibility to change the MP. This behaviour is reminiscent of the bug I had with DropBox and that you were supposed to have solved with the latest version. Unfortunately, as explained above, I cannot switch to GoogleDrive so cannot tell if this is a bug linked to usage of DropBox or Enpass in general.

Thanks for your help.