Enpass Discussion Forum

Change Data Location

Richard Rutledge

Hi @Richard Rutledge,

Welcome to the forms!

As you mentioned, that you are getting error"Cannot select a Network or Removeable location" please let us know are you trying to set the Enpass data location to a network folder. Hence, we recommend making your Enpass Data location locally on the system as there is a read-write authorization issue in the network. If the issue persists, revert to us.

Thanks!

As I mentioned in the original post, the selected folder is neither on a network location nor on a removeable location.  The selected folder is on a local drive, in my home folder, with full read/write permissions. 

On a _different_ computer, the relocation works as expected.  The only difference I can think of between the faulting computer and the successful one, is that the faulting computer's home is a zfs volume whereas the successful computer's home is ext4...

• 7 months later...

I have the same problem. Running new install of linux mint 20 with encrypted home dir.

I try to change the data store from /home/%user/Documents/Enpass to /home/%user/.config/enpass/data

Backups are fine at /home/%user/.config/enpass/Backups

Any thoughts?

On 11/5/2020 at 4:49 PM, scharc said:

I have the same problem. Running new install of linux mint 20 with encrypted home dir.

I try to change the data store from /home/%user/Documents/Enpass to /home/%user/.config/enpass/data

Backups are fine at /home/%user/.config/enpass/Backups

Any thoughts?

Is this ZFS also? If it's standard `ext4` and encrypts/decrypts properly it should be fine, especially if `/home/%user/.config/enpass/Backups` is working as intended. Does the `/home/%user/.config/enpass/data` directory already exist? If not, make those directories and try again possibly?

Edited by genbushi

On 11/12/2020 at 2:57 PM, genbushi said:

Is this ZFS also? If it's standard `ext4` and encrypts/decrypts properly it should be fine, especially if `/home/%user/.config/enpass/Backups` is working as intended. Does the `/home/%user/.config/enpass/data` directory already exist? If not, make those directories and try again possibly?

It is a ext4 and I just tried again, still saying: "Cannot select a Network or Removable location"

Fun fact: I just tried a new folder in my home dir called "test" and it gives me the same error. I can not change the Data Location to any dir in my home dir (which is still encrypted)

I can however change the directory to a place on my disk which is not encrypted and can NOT undo my changes because it would not let me choose any dir in my home

I have the strong feeling that it is the encrypted home dir

scharc, stopped being a problem for me only because I stopped using ZFS for my home filesystems :) (for other reasons)  ...

As I recall, the enpass attempts to prevent location of database on removable storage such as a thumb drive.  Mounted fs such as ZFS is mis-classified as prohibited.  encrypted drives may be similarly handled.  Note that this is a reasoned conjecture, not established fact...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi @rsswanson,

Welcome to the forums!

To change the database location, please follow these steps:

• Open Enpass → Under Settings, go to Advanced → Click on Change Location to change the data location.

If you face any issues let us know the following details:

• On which device (along with OS version) are you using Enpass?
  • Which Enpass version are you using?
  • What error are you getting when trying to change location?
  • Which file system(ZFS or Ext4) you are using and let us know it is encrypted or not?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I changed my system again and installed a zfs based home dir and again not be able to change the data location to something I wanted and KNOW that it is not a removeable device (why would you do that to any *nix user anyways? I mean.. I break my system regularly because I am stupid and not because I put conf-files on usb drives?!)

I had a look through all the current posts and found something interesting: /home/$USER/.config/sinew.in/Enpass.conf which is where all the nice settings are stored BUT you need to now all the settings to modify it. Happily I was able to change my data location on my OLD machine and could have a look there what was in the conf file which was not on a brand new on:

ChangedLocationPath=NEWPATH

and

changedBackupPath=NEWPATH

There are couple of questions about that conf file:

- why would you use different styles for conf-pars? uppercase, CamelCasse and just lowercase?
- why would you not have all the settings that are set-able in there in the beginning?

TLDR: edit /home/$USER/.config/sinew.in/Enpass.conf and add ChangedLocationPath=FULLPATH AND make sure that you copy old files there!

• 1 year later...

Old thread, I know but I just wanted to say THANK YOU @scharc!!!

As I am running my laptop with encrypted zfs I was not able to change the location enpass is storing its local data. Unfortunately I moved my Document folder to a share and enpass would not start at all. Took a wile for me to realize that enpass does not like share at all (???).

But putting my new location into Enpass.conf it finally acceptet it.

Dear enpass team, I really do not think that mounts on a linux system should give you so many problems. enpass is really the only software I use which is behaving like that. Can you not have a look into this topic and fix it permanently?