Enpass Discussion Forum

Store Attachments in the Vault

yeradis

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates on this? The current absence of this feature is the only thing keeping me away from switching my password manager from 1password to enpass. I know about the feature in the beta version, but i'd like to use stable versions on mission critical applications like password managers. 

• 2 weeks later...

Would be great to have this feature. I also want to see that any kind of files will be accepted to be attached. If this feature is on I'll entirely switch from 1Password. Hopefully the import will also support already stored attachments from 1Password!?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JKN said:

Yeah it's here. But my import from 1Password is not adding attachments, the dialog however shows that there are attachments... is this something that will come in the future or should it already work?

you have to add attachments manually. 

8 minutes ago, Tao said:

you have to add attachments manually. 

I know, but it is my feature request, when importing from any other source that has attachments stored - that these should be imported, especially with 1Password, as an export includes the attachments as well!

Edited by JKN

Just now, JKN said:

I know, but it is my feature request, when importing from any other source that has attachments stored that these should be imported, especially with 1Password, as an export includes the attachments as well!

+1!! Great idea, hope it will come! 

Hi @JKN 

Thanks and welcome aboard!

We have just release a stable Enpass update v5.5 with Attachment support. It's just an introduction of attachment feature and it has a size limitation of 200 Kb. And this limitation hinders us from adding the attachment import . Although, we are constantly working to improve this feature and will try to make the data import as smooth as possible. The option to import the attachments from 1Password is already in our road-map and will be available in future versions.

So for now, the best work around is to manually add the attachments to the imported items.

Thanks for your understanding.

• Like 1

Yeah! I was very much looking forward to this feature. Now i can finally switch from 1password. Awesome work, guys, thank you very much. You'll get a payment of a mobile app from me very soon (or at least, Google will get it and forward it to you some time)

• Like 1

On 22/03/2017 at 9:46 AM, Vikram Dabas said:

We have just release a stable Enpass update v5.5 with Attachment support. It's just an introduction of attachment feature and it has a size limitation of 200 Kb

Thanks for the addition! I don't care that much about import (it's a one-time thing anyway), but this 200Kb limitation prevents me from attaching some PDFs of scanned documents. Are you planning to lift this limitation in the near future? Maybe you can warn the user whenever he/she tries to attach large files?

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/03/2017 at 10:09 AM, Iliyan said:

Are you planning to lift this limitation in the near future? Maybe you can warn the user whenever he/she tries to attach large files?

Do you have any update on this? It's important for me (and I guess many others too) whether we will be able to attach larger files in future. Seems like an artificial limitation.

21 hours ago, Iliyan said:

Do you have any update on this? It's important for me (and I guess many others too) whether we will be able to attach larger files in future. Seems like an artificial limitation.

yes the limitation is artifical but reasonable, as of now, enpass stores the attachments in the same file as the password DB meaning that if you use sync, that the whole files with everything, has to be bounced around all the time as soon as anything changes. If/when they make it so the database and attachments can get split, this problem will solve itself.

10 minutes ago, My1 said:

yes the limitation is artifical but reasonable, as of now, enpass stores the attachments in the same file as the password DB meaning that if you use sync, that the whole files with everything, has to be bounced around all the time as soon as anything changes. If/when they make it so the database and attachments can get split, this problem will solve itself.

I understand that everything is stored in one file, I had the same setup with KeePass. And I'm fine with this file being bounced around. As I suggested above, perhaps the user can be warned that large files can slow down syncing (and use more data). It's then the user's choice. Or, alternatively, put an "advanced" option somewhere in the settings to lift this limitation, again warning the user that doing so may impact syncing performance.

P.S. Just noticed that I can attach files to this post, with max total size 19.53MB :)

Just now, Iliyan said:

I understand that everything is stored in one file, I had the same setup with KeePass. And I'm fine with this file being bounced around. As I suggested above, perhaps the user can be warned that large files can slow down syncing (and use more data). It's then the user's choice. Or, alternatively, put an "advanced" option somewhere in the settings to lift this limitation, again warning the user that doing so may impact syncing performance.

P.S. Just noticed that I can attach files to this post, with max total size 19.53MB :)

well true, regarding the PS, well total, meaning that it's for all posts, and as far as I know IPBoard correctly this is a shared limit among all users, meang if I would attach 19MB now, you could just attach about half an MB.

Forum aside, the intresting part is whether the 200kb limit is total or per file is something I dont know, but if it would be peer file you could archive the file into a split archive.

10 minutes ago, My1 said:

Forum aside, the intresting part is whether the 200kb limit is total or per file is something I dont know, but if it would be peer file you could archive the file into a split archive.

It's per file. And your suggestion only highlights the issue - the limit is arbitrary and can be circumvented (at the expense of manual work). So why not just have an option to remove it? Though I can totally see why you want to have such a limit by default - to protect users from themselves.

I really dont care about the limit of 200kb. Usually I take a lowres Picture and add the image in Enpass or IF I should have a highres PDF/image, I would just convert it to a lowres small file to be used in Enpass. If Enpass allows the large files to be added, users behaviour might change for user to begin using it as a file repository instead which is ruining the perspective of a password manager app.

If I want to add in numerous larger files, I would never use the enpass for this, I would use my cloud drive, dropbox, OneDrive or Amazon drive for this instead.

The proposed change of either storing the attachments in separate files next to the walletx file or simply to make a change in the configuration to allow users to adjust the filesize limit would be nice but not urgent IMO due to the above listed ways of mitigating the sizing issue.

4 minutes ago, Speedys1979 said:

I really dont care about the limit of 200kb. Usually I take a lowres Picture and add the image in Enpass or IF I should have a highres PDF/image, I would just convert it to a lowres small file to be used in Enpass. If Enpass allows the large files to be added, users behaviour might change for user to begin using it as a file repository instead which is ruining the perspective of a password manager app.

If I want to add in numerous larger files, I would never use the enpass for this, I would use my cloud drive, dropbox, OneDrive or Amazon drive for this instead.

The proposed change of either storing the attachments in separate files next to the walletx file or simply to make a change in the configuration to allow users to adjust the filesize limit would be nice but not urgent IMO due to the above listed ways of mitigating the sizing issue.

Thanks for trying to kill my argument... Where do you store the print-quality PDF with scans of your passport or of other personal documents? I don't want to store those unencrypted on a cloud drive. I want to store them where I keep everything else personal - in my Enpass vault. As I said, for most users the 200kb limit it reasonable. But please give us a way to remove this limit. Make this option very well hidden if you want.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Iliyan said:

Thanks for trying to kill my argument... Where do you store the print-quality PDF with scans of your passport or of other personal documents? I don't want to store those unencrypted on a cloud drive. I want to store them where I keep everything else personal - in my Enpass vault. As I said, for most users the 200kb limit it reasonable. But please give us a way to remove this limit. Make this option very well hidden if you want.

I didn't try to kill any arguments at all. I just tried to highlight the rationale around your suggestion and to give you inputs on howto use alternatives.

To your question, I would simply use my PDF application to save the scanned passport in a low resolution PDF and add that file in Enpass. You dont want to use the files from enpass to print it, just to have the data available for display. I dont know many pdfs which cannot be put below the 200kb limit unless they have a high amount of Pictures/pages in it.

I just uploaded a scan of both my passport, my Health ensurance and my keycode Card in high resolution as well, files are all saved to pdfs below 200kb.....

I agree in your point, it would be a fine amendment to Enpass to be able to adjust the limit but to argue that the solution is not usable with the current limit is perhaps because you dont see the solutions but only limitations....

20 minutes ago, Iliyan said:

Where do you store the print-quality PDF with scans of your passport or of other personal documents?

I would be VERY careful with passports and similar gov-issued documents, depending where you live, storing these can be illegal, especially in print-quality. and for other things like a credit card it might be that it's against the contract especially since the check number on the back is supposed to make sure that the card is "present" during the transaction.

also you can get an application that's made for storing files, like veracrypt, steganos or similar solutions.

Enpass is supposed to be a password manager and not a file safe.

Edited by My1
  • Like 1

I wouldn't be using Enpass if it was only a password manager. Is it really unreasonable to want to store as much personal data as possible at a single place? I'm just trying to argue that the attachment limit is completely arbitrary. The fact that this limit can be circumvented (adding a potentially huge inconvenience) only strengthens my argument. I'm not trying to abuse it, I completely understand the implications of having a huge single file vault whose entirety has to be copied around even when only a single character is changed. I understand that, I just want to have some freedom to make a choice, ok?

In fact I have already reduced the size of the few scans I need to under 200kb. So that workd for me *for now*. But sometimes 200kb just isn't enough, please understand that. And I don't want to use VeraCrypt just because my PDF is a few hundred KB larger. Plus, I want to have access to my passport scans on my mobile phone!

Edited by Iliyan

Hi All,

I totally agree and understand your concern that every file doesn't come under 200kb and thus can't be saved in Enpass. The reason for this restriction is that currently Enpass saves both database and attachments in the same file, and to maintain the sync efficiency, we put this limitation. But this restriction will be removed in the upcoming major version, where attachments will not reside in Enpass keychain file and will be saved as a different file. Till then, please wait and cooperate with us. 

We appreciate your continued support.

55 minutes ago, Vikram Dabas said:

where attachments [...] will be saved as a different file.

wouldnt it make more sense to split the attachments into multiple files when they get larger like into blocks of 20MB or whatever. because with just one large file which has all the attachments, it MAY get "funny"