Enpass Discussion Forum

Possible to set Enpass as default Password Manager in MacOS?

MacFreek

Hi, on iOS it is possible to set Enpass as the default password manager, so other apps use it too. This is done in Settings > Passwords > Password Options. (See screenshot)

image.thumb.png.cc4f880ffc6330554b3929a434d49db9.png

Is this possible on MacOS too? With Enpass 6.9.4 on MacOS 14.3.1, it does not show up in the Settings:

image.thumb.png.738273bf42f80488c13f6a9fdfd54c68.png

I would love Enpass do have the same integration on MacOS as it has on iOS!!

• Like 1

To enable Enpass as the default password manager on macOS, you'll need to access the settings within each browser individually. Here's how:

1. Open your preferred browser (e.g., Safari, Chrome, Firefox).
2. Navigate to the browser's settings or preferences.
3. Look for the Extensions or Add-ons section.
4. Find Enpass in the list of extensions.
5. Enable or activate Enpass to set it as the default password manager.

Once you've completed these steps for each browser you use, Enpass should function as the default password manager across macOS.

Posted (edited)

Hi Amandeep,

I'm afraid you misunderstood my question. I'm aware of that functionality, but that is not what I meant.

I like to use Enpass as a password manager for applications, other than webbrowers. This is possible, for a long time on iOS, and recently I've noted that MacOS applications are also have to possibility to access a password manager other than the build-in KeyChain.

Here is an example what I'm missing. The screenshot below an example of an Application asking me to log in. I have that account stored in Enpass, but it does not show up in MacOS. With the functional described in my post above, all Enpass passwords would be made available, and on iOS, this already works flawlessly. I would love this functionality to come to be available on MacOS too.

Hope this clarifies my question.

image.thumb.png.7d65b2046703e898f376be66e97cab1a.png → image.thumb.png.3a10cb296b340eb7b403935874cc1f8e.png

Freek

Edited by MacFreek
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarification, i had a discussion with our technical team, and unfortunately, Enpass does not currently have this feature. We appreciate your effort in bringing this concern to our attention. I am raising this issue with our technical team as a feature request, and we may consider adding it in our future updates. However, please understand that several factors and considerations have to be taken into account. 

Thank you again for your understanding and patience.
#SI-3035

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Amandeep, thank you for taking this feature request into consideration! I hope that it will be easy to implement, and eventually will end up on the Enpass backlog!

(And for others who like this feature too, feel free to respond here with a short like or reply. Perhaps that may help moving it higher up the queue).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While that would definitely be handy, macOS does not yet have the ability to allow third party apps to integrate with the existing password filling function for apps. 

Enpass would have to write their own separate mechanism to allow for password filling in apps. 

Hopefully Apple will add support for this in a future OS, because it would make this much easier to implement and use. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1