Enpass Discussion Forum

wrong masterpassword!? No it´s correct!

Disko

I use Enpass for several years on my windows-PCs and my android-phones. Now I got a new pc and had to ínstall all apps, including Enpass. To restore all passwords from dropbox I allowed to open the dropbox file. All seemed to work fine. But Enpass can´t open: "wrong password". But I´m shure the password is correct. With this pw I opened Enpass in my android-phone.

The same problem after deinstalled and reinstalled the Enpass version 6.5.1 from your homepage.

What can I do?

Edited by Disko

On 1/11/2021 at 4:12 PM, Disko said:

I use Enpass for several years on my windows-PCs and my android-phones. Now I got a new pc and had to ínstall all apps, including Enpass. To restore all passwords from dropbox I allowed to open the dropbox file. All seemed to work fine. But Enpass can´t open: "wrong password". But I´m shure the password is correct. With this pw I opened Enpass in my android-phone.

The same problem after deinstalled and reinstalled the Enpass version 6.5.1 from your homepage.

What can I do?

Is the password to your Dropbox account or the Enpass vault master password?

Hey @Disko

Welcome to the forum!

Make sure you are using the correct master password by copying and pasting the master password in the password field to restore the data from Dropbox. If this doesn't help please confirm if you are able to access all Enpass data on the Android phone with the same master password, so that we can help you to restore the data on the new PC.

• 1 month later...

Hes right. The exact same thing happened to me (using dropbox as well). I even typed in the password on my phone, and copied it. I then submitted the password on the phone and it worked (so i know the copied password is the right password). I then emailed myself the copied password so i could copy it on my computer. I then pasted the password to enpass and it said wrong password, just like op. What i had to do to get it working was save the backup on my phone instead of the cloud, and attached it to an email i sent myself. The password then worked fine, and it is syncing with dropbox like it is supposed to. Really weird bug, but for anyone else experiencing this just follow what i did, and it will work.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I'm reporting that I recently encountered this problem with Enpass 6.9.0 (1465). I managed to workaround through a frustrating process of backing up Enpass on a different device, copying the backup to the device where I encountered the problem, restoring to a local vault from the backup (after a false start or two), and only then linking Enpass to Dropbox. It seems the problem has regressed or it was never resolved. Please fix this!

Hi @Monyker

If you feel that the master password you are entering is correct, for troubleshooting purposes, I recommend checking our highly useful troubleshooting guide.

Important Note -

The master password is used to access the Enpass app and is associated with the Primary vault. Any other vault you create in the Enpass app has its own vault password. Now, for example, let's say on your other devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad) you are using multiple vaults, say Vault 1 (Primary) synced with cloud account 1 and Vault 2 (Secondary) synced with cloud account 2.

Now, if you try to restore your Vault 1 data from your cloud account 1 on any other device, the app will require the master password (as the master password is associated with the Primary vault). However, if you try to restore Vault 2 data from your cloud account 2 on any other device, you will need to enter the Vault password to access it and not the master password (Secondary vaults are associated with their vault password). 

In case you are using multiple vaults, try entering all the Vaults passwords and master password.

2 hours ago, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @Monyker

If you feel that the master password you are entering is correct...

The master password is used to access the Enpass app and is associated with the Primary vault. Any other vault you create in the Enpass app has its own vault password

@Abhishek Dewan The info for multiple vaults is interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. However, I have only ever used one vault. And it's not how I "feel" about entering my master password. I KNOW I entered it correctly a number of times, when attempting to restore the vault on a Windows 10 PC (fresh Enpass install) from Dropbox. I even confirmed in a separate text editor (to make sure password characters are entered correctly) and copied/pasted. What worked for me was to take a backup from a different computer where I have Enpass installed, transfer the backup, and restore the backup to Enpass (local only) on the Windows 10 PC with fresh Enpass install. After I restored the backup, I could then connect Enpass to Dropbox.

This is obviously a known bug as others have reported the exact symptoms. Please fix this!

I'm getting the same issue. I can open my Vault from Android and Mac OS, but I'm trying from Linux and it doesn't work. 

This is quite scary. If I loose the device where I had my working Enpass, I wont' be able to access my passwords anymore. 

Can this be caused by the fact that Android and Mac are running version 6.9.x, while Linux is using version 6.8.x? (I don'tif I'm able to get a newer version onon Arch Linux)

Hi @Monyker

I certainly understand your point. If you would like us to investigate this concern, kindly share the below details -

1. The version of the Enpass app and OS you are using on all your devices.
  2. Did you recently update the app? If yes, would it be possible for you to share the version of the app you were using before?
  3. Have you recently changed the master password on any of your other devices?
  4. Were you facing this issue with the master password on all your devices or only particular one? If there is only particular device, were you accessing the app on other devices were the same master password or biometrics?

As requested:

-Primary workstation: Enpass 6.9.0 (1465) on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (build 19045.3324)

-Secondary workstation (laptop): Enpass 6.9.0 (1465) on Windows 10 Pro 22H2 (build 19045.3324) - the device where I encountered the problem

-iPhone: Enpass 6.9.1 (751) on iOS 16.6 (this is the only device for which I use biometric)

-iMac in home office: ...I'll add the OS and app version info later...

Yes, Enpass was updated on several (all?) of the devices over the last few months. I don't track Enpass upgrades/versions closely, but I update when I receive an update notification, and try to make sure I check for updates on all my devices shortly thereafter. I have not recently changed my master password. I only encountered the problem on a particular device. Enpass may have been open/running on one or more other devices when I was installing/initializing Enpass on the device where I encountered the problem, but I'm sure I've done this before without encountering a problem.

same issue here. On Android I have full access, on the PC I keep getting "wrong master password"

I'm on the Pro plan. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling to see if it was associated with some other vault, but on reinstallation all I get is the password screen again. no options to configure anything.

What did you guys break??

On 8/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @bobbyt

Kindly try the troubleshooting steps that I have shared in this forum. If the steps do not help, please share the requested information and I will get this investigated for you.

What troubleshooting? I can't do anything on two different PCs other than enter a master password, which the software says is wrong. I can't do anything else. 

What else would you have my try?

On 8/28/2023 at 3:48 AM, Abhishek Dewan said:

Hi @bobbyt

Kindly try the troubleshooting steps that I have shared in this forum. If the steps do not help, please share the requested information and I will get this investigated for you.

This is all I have access to. Uninstall, reinstall, this is all I get.

Screenshot 2023-08-29 185145.png

Hi @bobbyt

If you feel that the master password you are entering is correct, for troubleshooting purposes, I recommend checking our highly useful guide. Otherwise, if the issue persists,kindly share the below details -

1.     The version of the Enpass app and OS you are using on your devices.

2.     Please share a screenshot of any error message you are getting.

3.     Do you have Enpass application on any other of your devices and are you able to access your data? Is the master password working on those devices or are you accessing the Enpass app through biometrics/Face ID? Also share the cloud service you are using to synchronize your data.

4.     The number of vaults you have in your Enpass app.

Important Note -

The master password is used to access the Enpass app and is associated with the Primary vault. Any other vault you create in the Enpass app has its own vault password. Now, for example, let's say on your other devices (laptop, iPhone, iPad) you are using multiple vaults, say Vault 1 (Primary) synced with cloud account 1 and Vault 2 (Secondary) synced with cloud account 2.

Now, if you try to restore your Vault 1 data from your cloud account 1 on any other device, the app will require the master password (as the master password is associated with the Primary vault). However, if you try to restore Vault 2 data from your cloud account 2 on any other device, you will need to enter the Vault password to access it and not the master password (Secondary vaults are associated with their vault password). 

In case you are using multiple vaults, try entering all the Vaults passwords and master password.