Enpass Discussion Forum

Status of Apple M1 native version?

Melvin

27 minutes ago, hofpad said:

Thx for mentioning.
But no, I do not want the AppStore-version for several reasons... 
But both versions should be on ARM anyway, right?

...just an idea: could it be that the Installer (of the website version) is still on INTEL......??
(because when the installer starts, the message about rosetta pops up)

47 minutes ago, hofpad said:

...just an idea: could it be that the Installer (of the website version) is still on INTEL......??

That is what I suspected earlier today in my first post.

You mentioned that you cannot install the application, could you explain why, as it may help us understand what is going on?

9 hours ago, hofpad said:

I just tested it on my machine, can confirm that this is the case. The installer is an Intel process, but the app itself, as well as the Safari extension, are both Apple. It's prompting you to install Rosetta so it can run the installer, but after installing the app itself is indeed native and doesn't need Rosetta. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to remove Rosetta once installed, but that really shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have anything actually utilizing it. 

I'm not sure what your reasons are for avoiding the App Store version, but that version doesn't need the installer so it would bypass the need to install Rosetta. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.28.26 AM.png

14 hours ago, dahliamma said:

I just tested it on my machine, can confirm that this is the case. The installer is an Intel process, but the app itself, as well as the Safari extension, are both Apple. It's prompting you to install Rosetta so it can run the installer, but after installing the app itself is indeed native and doesn't need Rosetta. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a way to remove Rosetta once installed, but that really shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't have anything actually utilizing it. 

I'm not sure what your reasons are for avoiding the App Store version, but that version doesn't need the installer so it would bypass the need to install Rosetta. 

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.28.05 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-05 at 12.28.26 AM.png

You are spot-on... thank you!
Very helpful what you wrote (also about rosetta not being uninstallable).

Maybe it's a sort of habit of me, to not have stuff installed which I do not (want to) use (at all)?
But yes, maybe I'll use the AppStore-Version for a while... I just have less trust to Apple when it comes to "security" products, that's why I prefer to get them directly from the developers.

It seems that Rosetta can be uninstalled. I found 2 links that give instructions how to do it:

https://developer.apple.com/forums/thread/669486

https://iboysoft.com/news/uninstall-rosetta-2.html

That said you may want to keep Rosetta on your machine. I have an Epson scanner and Epson has not, and likely will not upgrade the driver to an M1 version. Although VueScan is M1 native, if I want to use it with the Epson scanner it has to be running under Rosetta. So if you have a similar situation with a scanner, a printer, or a software that has plugins that are Intel only, you may need Rosetta.