Enpass Discussion Forum

Status of Apple M1 native version?

Melvin

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a new customer since Thursday and have purchased the Lifetime Plan. I am in the process of switching from 1Password to you because I am not a fan of subscriptions. Now I have to realize that you have not yet implemented a universal app for MacOS (Apple M1 chip). I really want to use a native app and not install Rosetta 2 for a single app. All developers from whom I usually use software have already implemented the support. When will there be a native desktop app for the ARM platform? Otherwise, I would like to cancel my purchase. I was under the assumption that there is already a native app.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, staniol said:

When will there be a native desktop app for the ARM platform?

See above, May 10 post: “by the end of the year”. Nothing more specific announced.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:22 AM, staniol said:

I really want to use a native app and not install Rosetta 2 for a single app.

Everyone here would like to see a native app. We have been using the Intel build without any major problem (see several previous posts). If you do need to install Rosetta 2, it is very easy: when you launch an Intel app, macOS will prompt you (you’ve probably seen that already):

3728E04F-2250-4432-AE03-DEB2FBBB239D.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I bought this when I had an Intel iMac and was happy with the app.  The interface could use work but it was consistent. On my M1 iMac it is quirky sometimes things works as expected and other times it behaves oddly.  For example sometimes I click on a field and select fill with Enpass and sometimes it works flawlessly and other times it won't fill and makes me cancel the fill and start over.  

I'm assuming this has something to do with emulation but it's making me want to go back to 1password.  September has passed and the 3rd party software you use for cross platform development has released an M1 update.  So when will Enpass be updated?

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2021 at 2:25 PM, moofpup said:

I bought this when I had an Intel iMac and was happy with the app.  The interface could use work but it was consistent. On my M1 iMac it is quirky sometimes things works as expected and other times it behaves oddly.  For example sometimes I click on a field and select fill with Enpass and sometimes it works flawlessly and other times it won't fill and makes me cancel the fill and start over.  

I'm assuming this has something to do with emulation but it's making me want to go back to 1password.  September has passed and the 3rd party software you use for cross platform development has released an M1 update.  So when will Enpass be updated?

I have the same problems.

It's more than one year after Apple released his own ARM chips and they continue to bring even more products. All my other software is running natively and I am also thinking about switching back to 1password.

So it's really time to get a native version, Enpass, please! There were already many people asking for native support...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, Garima Singh said:

As of now, Enpass will run M1 chips with an inbuilt compatibility layer. We are looking to fix it in two stages. First to release an optimized version for the compatibility layer. The user interface of Enpass uses cross-platform Qt Toolkit, which is currently not stable now for M1 native supports. We will release a native build just after that.

Is Qt toolkit already stable? Any news about a universal version? 

I love Enpass, but I hate to be forced to run Rosetta in my new Mac Mini and Enpass is almost the only app that need it in my computer.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/11/2021 at 7:31 AM, Garima Singh said:

The user interface of Enpass uses cross-platform Qt Toolkit, which is currently not stable now for M1 native supports. We will release a native build just after that.

QT 6.2 LTS with support for apple silicon is available since Sep 30. Any news on a native Enpass version?

Although I am also looking forward to getting a native Apple Silicon app, I need to tell you that even though Qt has released support for arm macs, we cannot know:

1. The amount of work that may be needed to migrate to this new Qt version and apply the needed code changes, go through QA, etc

2. It’s very likely that a big app like Enpass has some more third party dependencies that may or may not have released native apple silicon support. Even if they have, effort is needed for migration and QA as well.

As an iOS/macOS developer I do recognize the effort and I would really prefer bug resolving (clipboard, generator panel issues) over native support at this moment.

• 2 weeks later...

It's true that no-one here can really estimate the amount of work that is required to port Enpass to the next major version of Qt however my main concern here is that it already took several years to NOT fix the search-lag-issues as well as the blocking-issue when Enpass is in the progress of syncing (meanwhile the app is almost unusable).

So I am desperately waiting for a native version as I am hoping this might also affect those issues..