Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass Connection Error

I intermittently see "Enpass Connection Error" messages when I click the Enpass extension icon or attempt to use the extension's autofill feature. The problem is only on my laptop, with the following install environment:

• Windows 10 Home (64-bit, version 1607, build 14393.187)
  • Google Chrome 53.0.2785.116 m (32-bit)
  • Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition 1.0.2.21
  • Enpass 5.3.0.1 for Windows
  • Enpass Password Manager 5.3.1 extension for Google Chrome

Troubleshooting steps taken:

• Disabled/re-enabled Enable browser extensions in Enpass (desktop application) settings
  • Disabled Verify browsers in Enpass (desktop application) settings
  • Removed/re-installed Enpass for Windows
  • Removed/re-installed Enpass Password Manager extension for Google Chrome
  • Tempoarily disabled all Google Chrome extensions except Enpass Password Manager
  • Temporarily disabled Bitdefender Antivirus protection

None of the troubleshooting steps helped, but a some point, I clicked the Enpass Password Manager icon and it worked as expected. This problem occurs regularly on this laptop. On a workstation/desktop I use with a very similar install environment, Enpass works without this problem.

Is there something I can do to resolve this or troubleshoot further?

Thank you!

Edited by Monyker

Hi @thoko

Sorry to hear about your trouble. Please drop us an email at support@enpass.io mentioning a link to this discussion with details like device (along with OS version), Enpass version, Firefox version  Antivirus/Firewall/third party network security/ any security related Extension or Proxy are you using, so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

I also have this same issue of frequently asking for me to enable the browser extension even though it is enabled. I think for me it has to do with the Enpass app dying in the background or else just not open when I open Safari. I find that even if I open Enpass and sign in and then try to use it in Safari, it still doesn't see the connection until I close Safari and re-open. So it seems that Enpass needs to be open (but also signed in once) before Safari is opened and will work.

Environment:
- macOS Sierra 10.12
- Safari 10.0.1
- late 2013 model MacBook Air

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I can't use the autofill extension. I get always a "Enpass Connection Error"-tab. I had check the settings several times, but it still didn't work.

• Windows 10 Ent x64
  • Chrome 55.0.2883.87 m (x64)
  • Chrome Enpass Extension 5.3.3
  • Enpass 5.4.1

- Browser extension settings are active

2017-01-04 09_50_47-Einstellungen.png

2017-01-04 09_50_24-Enpass Error.png

Edited by Martin

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

After updating my Chrome from version 55 to version 56.0.2924.76 (Windows 10) the Enpass plugin stopped working. Firefox is working without any issue. I will get a Enpass connection error.

I tried to reinstall the extension and reinstalled Enpass. However still not solved.

Any idea? Is this a know issues with Crhome version 56?

Edited by Willem Bargeman

Same problem.

What really worries is, how does a security password software program become released onto the market place with so many bugs?

I used  then purchased 'LASTPASS' when it was originally released. Not one user error was encountered. I am still using it after all these years (9)

A bug was reported that allowed a possible hack. It paid the bug discoverer $1,000 and closed the hole that day. What responses are we getting with Enpass?

Because of the plethora of  bugs ( possible hacks..backdoors? ) I am removing all identity to the software from my systems. With some heavy editing of the 'registry'

I would advice everyone to seriously look at their own installations. Especially where bugs are encountered.

Hi Yan,

Sorry to hear about your trouble. We have just tested this issue in our lab and unable to reproduce. One of the possible reason could be installation of any Antivirus/ Firewall that is interfering the localhost connections (127.0.0.1). It would be really helpful if you share some more information so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

• Have you installed any Antivirus/ Firewall/security-related browser extension?
  • Are you using proxy? 
  • Are you facing the same problem in other browsers too?

Cheers!

• Like 1

Hi @Essex

I can understand the inconvenience caused to you while connecting Enpass with Chrome browser.  The thread where you posted has been merged here, discussing the same issue. 

On 2/6/2017 at 5:45 AM, Essex said:

What really worries is, how does a security password software program become released onto the market place with so many bugs?

The connection issue with browser (in some systems) may be because of the architecture of Enpass, and in that case it can't be considered as bug in Enpass but the issue could be due to configuration of Antivirus, Firewall or Proxy in user's system. Actually, being an offline password manager, Enpass works differently than the online PMs where their extension communicates directly with their servers through internet while the Enpass extension communicates with main Enpass App locally through web sockets over localhost (without your data actually sent outside through internet). And, generally Enpass extension successfully connects with the main App, but in some systems the configuration of Firewall, Antivirus or proxy might block or interrupt the communication and user has to grant access to that connection, exclusively. Also, you don't need to worry about the security of your data with Enpass.

On 2/6/2017 at 5:45 AM, Essex said:

A bug was reported that allowed a possible hack. It paid the bug discoverer $1,000 and closed the hole that day. What responses are we getting with Enpass?

We are very committed towards the performance of Enpass and takes any issue very seriously and so far, due to offline nature of Enpass no such security flaw has been encountered in Enpass. One thing we can assure you is our commitment and support for Enpass.

So please check and let us know if you're behind any firewall or proxy, so that we can help you in resolving the connection problem. 

As always, with affection
Cheers!

Hey guys and @Hemant Kumar,

simply to blame antivirus is not the solution for this problem I am using Enpass on two systems: Windows 10 with AVG and Windows 7 with corporate managed Symantec Endpoint Protection.

On both systems are the symptoms and problems exactly the same:

Enpass autofilling is NOT/erratic working until I manually open the Enpass app by clicking in the taskbar. Then I can autofill with the shortcut. But before I click manually on the icon in the systray, the shortcut does nothing. Sometimes Enpass connection error appears.

As this happens with both completely different systems and antivirus solutions, this is definately a problem with Enpass. Never experienced something like this with KeePass and 1Password by the way (also offline password managers and also used on both systems).

I really hope you are addressing this bugs, as they are breaking basic functionality.

Edited by 7Bit

Hi @7Bit

Thanks for writing in. 

Sorry for misunderstanding. I was talking the general cause which we have observed with many users where we found that Antivirus was blocking the connection silently. Though there was also an issue where extension shows connection error, but only when Enpass App started after the error had been displayed and Enpass App hadn't come to foreground. We have fixed this issue here and release of this update for extensions is due soon.

On 2/8/2017 at 2:07 PM, 7Bit said:

Enpass autofilling is NOT/erratic working until I manually open the Enpass app by clicking in the taskbar.

Just to make sure, I would like to ask if Enpass App is running in background the moment when you try to autofill. May be you would have hit the close button of main Enpass Window quitting the App and thus losing the connection between extension and App. If this is so, Enpass is working as expected because the main App must be running always to let browser extension autofill. In that case, there is an option in Enpass settings to keep it running in background by minimizing it to system tray. Also you can set Enpass to auto run on system startup so that you don't have to manually start it every time the system starts.

But if you're doing it with main Enpass app running and still facing the issues then there could be some deep lying bug for which we need to investigate on higher priorities. And in that case we might need your help with some queries to reproduce the issue here in our lab as we are unable to produce it here on systems with Windows 10 and AVG.

Thanks for your co-operation!

4 hours ago, Hemant Kumar said:

Hi @7Bit

Thanks for writing in. 

Sorry for misunderstanding. I was talking the general cause which we have observed with many users where we found that Antivirus was blocking the connection silently. Though there was also an issue where extension shows connection error, but only when Enpass App started after the error had been displayed and Enpass App hadn't come to foreground. We have fixed this issue here and release of this update for extensions is due soon.

Just to make sure, I would like to ask if Enpass App is running in background the moment when you try to autofill. May be you would have hit the close button of main Enpass Window quitting the App and thus losing the connection between extension and App. If this is so, Enpass is working as expected because the main App must be running always to let browser extension autofill. In that case, there is an option in Enpass settings to keep it running in background by minimizing it to system tray. Also you can set Enpass to auto run on system startup so that you don't have to manually start it every time the system starts.

But if you're doing it with main Enpass app running and still facing the issues then there could be some deep lying bug for which we need to investigate on higher priorities. And in that case we might need your help with some queries to reproduce the issue here in our lab as we are unable to produce it here on systems with Windows 10 and AVG.

Thanks for your co-operation!

Hi @Hemant Kumar,

thanks for your answer and the clarification.

I have set both options "Start with windows" and "Minimize to tray" on all my systems. I see the Enpass icon also in the systray, it starts with Windows. But about ~50% of the time, at least always when using Enpass the first time after booting, the autofill feature does nothing if the shortcut is used. I have to click on the Enpass icon in the systray, and only then it is working. As I said, I am having this behaviour on my both PCs with different antivirus and OS. The only thing same is Chrome.

Please let me know if I can do anything to support you fixing this issue.

Best regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same here, in every browser:

"Enpass Connection Error
Please start Enpass desktop app and make sure you have checked "Enable Browser Extension" in Enpass Preferences, before using Enpass Browser Extension."

OSX 10.12.3
Firefox 51.0.1
Chrome 56.0.2924.87
Safari 10.0.3

"Enable Browser Extension" is checked.

• 4 weeks later...

For me the issue was the connection URL format.

The extension tried to open multiple websockets using a localhost address. I replaced all "localhost" references with "127.0.0.1" in data/background.js of the extension and it's working now.

I've had some strange issues with accessing localhost in Chrome before. Chrome seems to use redirect all localhost domains to HTTPS when typing them into the Omnibar.

Maybe changing this should be considered for the official release.I'm not sure how many people are affected by this strange Chrome bug.

Okay, the error still remains and the last comment of the Enpass team to this topic was on February 9 !

Trust and reliability are the most important things with a software in which I store my sensitive login and even credit card data! Enpass does not make a trustworthy impression on me. I will uninstall Enpass of all my devices.

Edited by anyway
Pointing out the importance of data security and reliability.