Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 6 beta for Linux is now available

Gajender Singh

Dear Beta Subscribers!

We are getting closer and closer to the release date, and we’re happy to announce the finest beta with the improvements and bug fixes reported by you guys in the previous Beta. Unlike the previous beta versions of Enpass 6 which came as a separate app, this beta will come over the existing Enpass 5 application in your PC.

While we add some finishing touches, get your hands on this beta and share your valuable feedback.

IMPORTANT NOTES FROM DEVELOPER

• Must save a BACKUP: Before installing this beta, it is highly recommended to take a backup of your data manually from any Enpass version you are using. You can take a backup via Enpass > File > Backup.
  • Installation NOTES: Unlike the previous beta versions of Enpass 6 so far, this one will come over and replace your current Enpass 5 app, and your data will be upgraded to support the new architecture of v6. And if you're having the previous beta version of Enpass 6, it will also get automatically uninstalled, so please take the backup of that one as well. Once the database is upgraded to v6, it can't be downgraded or restored into previous Enpass versions.
  • Sync incompatibility: Sync in Enpass v6 works entirely in new, efficient way and syncs to the different location (generally in destined App folders on cloud service providers) than the previous versions released so far. It will neither synchronize with and nor restore data of any previous versions (Enpass 5 and previous Enpass 6 beta). So if you want to start testing of this beta as a clean install on some other device on which you are not having Enpass 5 (i.e., not over your existing Enpass 5 app), the only way is to restore data from the backup file.
  • Browser extension incompatibility: The current Enpass 5 browser extensions are not compatible with the v6. You can download and install the latest extensions from here
  • Settings restoration: All your Enpass 5 settings will get reset, and you have to Re-configure them individually. 

What's New

• Multiple vaults: This is one of the most demanded features in Enpass that lets you have separate vaults for better segregation of your data. You can create multiple vaults for personal and work data and share with your family or team members by syncing through a common cloud account. However, each of your vaults requires a different cloud account to sync with.
    • To create a new vault, go to app Settings > Vaults > Tap the ‘+‘ icon, and follow the instructions to create your new vault.
  • Custom categories and templates: The desktop version of Enpass 6 now allows you to create your own custom Categories and Templates. This way you can manage your data the way you like.
  • Dark theme: Enpass comes with the dark theme support for Linux. You need to restart the app after switching the theme from Enpass Settings for the changes to take effect.
  • Sync through iCloud: Now the support for iCloud sync is not limited to Apple devices only, you can use it on other platforms as well.
  • Favicons: Enpass 6 can automatically download and set the icon associated with the particular website or URL saved in an item. You can enable it from the Enpass Settings > Customize > Enable Use Favicon.
  • Custom icons: We've also introduced a much-requested feature; Custom icons, which allows you to set any image as an icon for any item in Enpass.
  • Secure sharing: This version brings secured sharing where you can share an item encrypted with a Pre-Shared Key (PSK). You can create PSK from the Advanced Settings of Enpass after which an additional option to Encrypt with PSK will appear while sharing the item. You need to share the PSK with the intended recipient which he needs to enter while importing the item.
  • Keyfile support: You can now additionally use a Keyfile along with the master password to log into Enpass. Only the desktop versions allow you to generate keyfile while setting up the master password.
  • Trash: Trash is here. From now onwards, every item you delete will go in the Trash first from where you can recover or permanently delete it.
  • Archive: You can archive the items which are no longer in use, but you don't want to delete them as well. The archived item won't appear in any search results.
  • Sorting options: Added options to sort the list of items by Created Time, Modified Time, Recently Used and Frequently Used.
  • Multi-line fields: Added a new field-type as multi-line field which allows you to save information in more than one line. You can make any field a multi-line field by changing its field type from the item edit page.
  • Identity: We've introduced a new default category Identity to let you fill those long, tedious identity forms with a single click.
  • Added localization support for Afrikaans, Malay, Croatian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Romanian, Slovak and Swedish.

Improvements

• Cloud synchronization: The new Enpass 6 now syncs the Enpass data into the designated App folder on the cloud, unlike it used to do in the root folder for OneDrive, and Google Drive. Along with this, the app now requires minimal permissions and will give relief to our folks who raised concerns regarding the list of permissions the Enpass was asking while configuring the sync, especially in case of OneDrive. Also, as Enpass 6 is based on a new architecture, it will not sync and restore data from previous Enpass 5 and Enpass 6 beta versions.
  • Browser extensions: The new browser extension is now called Enpass Assistant with improved security, auto-filling, and auto-capturing. While setting initial connection, you would need to pair the browser first. It also allows you to autofill in pages with more than two fields.
  • Improved Password generator and strength estimation: We have improved the password generator with the new user interface, option for excluding the symbols and the better strength estimation using zxcvbn. So there might be chances that the password shown as strong in Enpass v5 will be displayed as Weak in Enpass 6.
  • Tags: The erstwhile Folder feature is now known as Tags. All your existing Folders and sub-folders will be replaced by the Tags and sub-tags respectively. 
  • Separate section for items with TOTP or Attachments: Many of you folks requested that items with TOTP or attachments should be grouped and displayed together, and here you'll see the separate sections for both TOTP and Attachments in the Sidebar.
  • Eight digits TOTP support: Previously the app was restricted to generate only six digits TOTPs making it difficult for some folks who were using eight-digit TOTPs. Now this limitation has been removed, and you can freely add TOTP to quickly login into accounts.
  • Checking Pwned passwords for the complete database: A significant improvement in checking the pwned passwords! Now instead of checking a single password for pwnage, you can check all passwords saved in your database.
  • Better with importing data from other password managers.
  • A lot of other minor improvements.

Fixes over Previous Enpass 6 Beta

• There was an issue raised by some of you guys where If a user was adding an attachment containing any language specific characters ( å, ä, ö, etc.), then the app was crashing while saving the item. Well now, Fixed.
  • A bug where WebDAV sync wasn't configuring over the Seafile server, now fixed.
  • Fixed an issue where pressing the ESC key wasn't clearing the search field.
  • Fixed an issue where copying or moving an item from one vault to another, lost all its assigned tags.

Get it Now

We are continually working to boost the quality of Enpass before the official release and devoting a lot of time in improvements and bug fixes. And we are eagerly waiting for your feedback on our forums.

With Love to our Linux users!!❤️❤️

Can we expect to see a "universal" Linux package in the form of a Snap package or Flatpak anytime soon? I'm currently not running Ubuntu and therefore have to manually install Enpass 6 by extracting the package and manually copying the files.

Is the plan for Enpass desktop to be this free with in app purchases for all platforms? I don't mind paying for the app really, and have on Android, but at this point with the lack of a 3rd party audit, it makes it harder to continue to invest in Enpass when the audit could come out showing the app is insecure or something. Just seems like implementing the "Premium" side of things should wait till post Beta and especially till the 3rd party audit is released and people can feel confident investing more in Enpass.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by havenerd

44 minutes ago, havenerd said:

Can we expect to see a "universal" Linux package in the form of a Snap package or Flatpak anytime soon? I'm currently not running Ubuntu and therefore have to manually install Enpass 6 by extracting the package and manually copying the files.

Is the plan for Enpass desktop to be this free with in app purchases for all platforms? I don't mind paying for the app really, and have on Android, but at this point with the lack of a 3rd party audit, it makes it harder to continue to invest in Enpass when the audit could come out showing the app is insecure or something. Just seems like implementing the "Premium" side of things should wait till post Beta and especially till the 3rd party audit is released and people can feel confident investing more in Enpass.

Keep up the good work!

Hi,

Sorry, no plans for universal package at the moment (Still confused between the Snap vs Flatpak battle).

Also, many thanks for your support. The Enpass desktop app for Linux is totally free with all features and third-party audit for Enpass is already underway.

43 minutes ago, havenerd said:

Keep up the good work!

For consistency with the other releases for OSX and Win32 I would prefer AppImage. Then it's a single downloadable file like for the other operating systems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi,

Sorry, no plans for universal package at the moment (Still confused between the Snap vs Flatpak battle).

Also, many thanks for your support. The Enpass desktop app for Linux is totally free with all features and third-party audit for Enpass is already underway.

That's rather disappointing to hear. As far as the debate, I don't think it really matters at this point as both formats are charting their course, have their benefits, and neither is going away any time soon. I think you guys should just pick one and run with it, as both already support most of the popular Linux distributions, including Debian and RPM based distros which you are currently building separately, and could combine into a single build.

If nothing else, an installer script for non-Debian and non-RPM based distro's would be nice to have.

1 hour ago, Hitman said:

For consistency with the other releases for OSX and Win32 I would prefer AppImage. Then it's a single downloadable file like for the other operating systems.

My personal experience with AppImage hasn't been that great. The whole idea of downloading the app to say your Downloads folder, marking executable and running just doesn't really mirror the Windows or Mac experience. An equivalent to AppImage would be downloading and running an "Enpass.exe" file that just starts the application from that file in your Downloads instead of properly installing it.

The other thing I've experienced with AppImage is if you "install" it like it prompts you too when you run it, which creates the shortcut in applications menu etc, there is no easy way of uninstalling the app when needed. To uninstall you have to delete any folder it created in your home directory, then delete the .desktop file created under /usr/share/applications/. Just doesn't seem to provide the same simplicity that say Snap does with a simple "sudo snap install enpass" or "sudo snap remove enpass" does, or the Flatpak equivalent.

The Enpass assistant disappears if I click with the left button of the mouse on Linux

I have upgraded all my pcs  to version 6 and  the web extensions are not working  both chromium and firefox, the problem is with Enpass Assistant , you CANT click the left mouse button on Enpass Assistant it just disappears.

Even with out the web extensions integration if you open it manually to click on something else it just disappears.

Can someone have a look at this problem?

Thank you very much and please fix it asap :)

cheers

ps: I am not allowed to post from Waterfox Browsers because is considered as spambot?????

2 hours ago, havenerd said:

@Vikram Dabas @Anshu kumar Tried to get the new beta from the Debian repo and I got enpass-beta_6.0.0.149_amd64.deb, which is what I already have installed

Hi,

The instructions to install the latest beta for Linux are mentioned in this FAQ. Please try and let me know if you still face any issue.

I first want to say thanks for the hard work on Enpass 6. It really looks good and latest beta runs much better than in the past (especially on Android!) Don't know if this is the best place to post this but I looked around and didn't see a similar problem. I have the latest Enpass beta installed on Kubuntu 18.10. Sync with Google drive works initally when its authorized through browser. But subsequent requests fail. Attached is a screenshot that shows it was originally synced at 4:46 this afternoon with last attempt a few seconds ago. Am I the first to ask about this? I haven't tried it with OneDrive or another cloud yet. Nor have I tried it on another Distro. Not that big a deal. I'll keep on using it. If I know I have to sync something new, I'll just disconnect and reconnect. But want to report it anyway.

EnpassSync?.png

7 hours ago, Andy Long said:

I first want to say thanks for the hard work on Enpass 6. It really looks good and latest beta runs much better than in the past (especially on Android!) Don't know if this is the best place to post this but I looked around and didn't see a similar problem. I have the latest Enpass beta installed on Kubuntu 18.10. Sync with Google drive works initally when its authorized through browser. But subsequent requests fail. Attached is a screenshot that shows it was originally synced at 4:46 this afternoon with last attempt a few seconds ago. Am I the first to ask about this? I haven't tried it with OneDrive or another cloud yet. Nor have I tried it on another Distro. Not that big a deal. I'll keep on using it. If I know I have to sync something new, I'll just disconnect and reconnect. But want to report it anyway.

EnpassSync?.png

Yeah, this is to me looks like a confusing part and I'm not sure if the wording is really good. The "Last Synchronized" field shows when was the last time data was changed and synced TO the device. "Last Attempt" - shows when the data was last time checked for relevance. So, if you DID change data in the cloud and press Sync Now, both field will match, if you DIDN'T change anything in the cloud and press Sync Now then Last Attempt will update, but Last Sync will be at previous value.

Hey guys,

I would like to share that Last Synchronized and Last Attempt are two different timings. Last Synchronized is the time when the actual syncing of data took place last time and the file was updated on the cloud, while the Last Attempt refers to the time when Enpass looked for any changes in data on server (and maybe it didn't find anything to sync and is not matching with Last Synchronized). This is why you see different time stamps for both.

Cheers!

3 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

Hey guys,

I would like to share that Last Synchronized and Last Attempt are two different timings. Last Synchronized is the time when the actual syncing of data took place last time and the file was updated on the cloud, while the Last Attempt refers to the time when Enpass looked for any changes in data on server (and maybe it didn't find anything to sync and is not matching with Last Synchronized). This is why you see different time stamps for both.

Cheers!

May be you want to consider the name change for these parameters since it keeps getting people confused?

On 12/4/2018 at 4:37 AM, Anshu kumar said:

Hey guys,

Cheers!

Thank you I made some changes to test. And you're right (of course you would be!) its syncing just fine.

I run Ubuntu 17.10 and because of me subscribing to Enpass beta a while ago I received the update and decided to upgrade everything to Enpass 6.

I cannot connect any of my browsers to enpass on the desktop. I sent support request but didn't get an answer. I use Enpass a lot and this issue is slowing me down in my work.

- I tried with the firewall turned off
- Enpass version 6.0.0 (197)
- Chrome extension 6.0.0.56
- Firefox extension 6.0.0.6

netstat -ano | grep 10391
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:10391           0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN      off (0.00/0/0)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:32870         127.0.0.1:10391         ESTABLISHED keepalive (333,36/0/0)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10391         127.0.0.1:32870         ESTABLISHED off (0.00/0/0)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:32818         127.0.0.1:10391         ESTABLISHED keepalive (333,36/0/0)
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:10391         127.0.0.1:32818         ESTABLISHED off (0.00/0/0)

The browser basically tries to connect, open Enpass (which is running all the time with browser sync enabled in its settings) then fails.

image.png.f6f3e91ef8c8a86edf107bf254952f3e.png

Edited by Lox_

@Anshu kumar Do you guys have a bug tracker to see what's already have been reported and what are you working on? Honestly, I find that Enpass 6 is barely usable in a day-to-day operations right now on Linux, at least for me and I'm not sure what's the best format to report all these things. I see that worst things are obviously reported here, but still there are things here and there, that makes it very-very difficult to use and some are just concerning.