Enpass Discussion Forum

A new beta update of Enpass 6 is now available for Linux, macOS and Windows

Vikram Dabas

Hello Enpassians!

Today, we are announcing the release of a new beta update for the desktops. This update brings the Favicons support- one of the most requested features on our forums, Systemwide shortcut, Auto backups along with some fixes and improvements based on your previous feedback. The complete change-log includes:

What's New

• Favicons- Now Enpass can automatically download and set the icon associated with the particular website or URL saved in an item. You can enable it from the Enpass Settings > Customize > Enable 'Use Favicon.'
  • Systemwide shortcut to access Enpass- Access your Enpass data from anywhere in your system by just creating a system-wide shortcut, the hotkey, from the Enpass settings under General section.
  • Folder synchronization- Apart from the third party cloud synchronization, Enpass now allows you set up sync with a folder in your computer, or hard drive which automatically back up your data to that specific folder.
  • Auto Backups- From now onwards, Enpass will automatically take backup of your data locally on your device.
  • Check Pwned Passwords for the complete database-  Earlier Enpass lets you check your passwords individually against the list of breached passwords managed by haveibeenpwnd.com. But now you can check this for all the passwords stored in your database with a single click.

Improvements

• Automatically minimizing the app to the menu bar- Earlier when the app was set to open automatically at login it opened with the app window in the foreground. But now the app will automatically hide the app window and minimize it to the menu bar. (macOS only)
  • Improved data import from 1Password.

Fixes

• Google Drive sync issue- The problem where enabling sync with Google Drive stuck on the auth page is now fixed.
  • Archives items are visible under Identical Passwords- Fixed a bug where the Password Audit picked the archives entries while displaying items under Identical passwords.
  • HiDPI scaling issue in Windows 10- Fixed a problem issue where the app did not scale correctly on the HiDPI monitors. (Windows-only)
  • Problem while printing the items- An issue where the app got stuck on the printing page and returned to the previous screen without printing the selected items is now fixed.
  • TOTP refresh issue- Fixed an issue where the item list was displaying the same/old OTP under the TOTP section in the Sidebar.
  • High CPU consumption- Fixed an issue where some of the users reported the last beta was consuming high CPU usage. (macOS only)
  • An issue where the app got crashed while adding the custom icon, fixed.

Download links

Keep the feedback coming as it helps us to address your needs and deliver the higher quality products.

Cheers!

Congrats for the new release!

However, on macOS, the assistant still has the same UI issue as the first beta.

Namely, it unfolds up, even beyond the limit of the screen, making it difficult to use.

A picture is probably better to describe that issue; here is what happens when I click on the Enpass item in the menu bar:

1234014641_ScreenShot2018-10-05at15_55_45.thumb.png.f79ebb912b8092afce7636a6b91bed82.png

This is all I can see. There is nothing below.

This happens on my secondary display (whose resolution is 2560 x 1440) but not on my Macbook Pro's display.

The very same thing happens when using the Firefox extension:

955277487_ScreenShot2018-10-05at15_58_49.thumb.png.491586d32055a6f53cf39eb039e6e696.png

See how it unfolds towards the top of the screen, masking half the Enpass window. If the browser window is at the top, there is pretty much nothing visible from the Enpass window.

And with the extension, it also happens on my secondary screen, not on the MBP screen.

On Mac build 220 appears to break most (all?) import options. Importing from 1Password PIF or any of the CSV options (1Password or "Pre-fomatted CSV") returns "Something went wrong, error -9998".

I've done the "clear everything" option from advanced, and attempted to import again no change in behavior. Anything else I should try or am I stuck waiting for the next beta?

I've been looking forward to trying out folder sync, but if I can't move my data in bulk its not practical to test.

MacOS

Excited about this release. Will there be separate threads for the separate operating systems? I think it's going to get confusing in here if we have several platforms reporting bugs that may be platform-specific.

Right off the bat I have a leftover bug from the previous release and a new one. I'm on MacOS.

LEFTOVER: After opening the Menu Bar UI, the only way to close it is to click somewhere else on the screen. Standard UX for Menu Bar items is that you should be able to also close them via clicking the Menu Bar icon again, and by ESC key.

NEW BUG: CMD+E from the Menu Bar mini-window no longer launches full Enpass. You now have to click the "hamburger" menu in the lower left corner of the dropdown. There is now no way to open the full Enpass window with a keyboard shortcut.

The new universal keyboard shortcut is not a viable substitute for this command for several reasons:

1) The universal command is not adequately customizable, with CMD+OPT locked, and allowing the user to ONLY choose which key is used in combination with those two. The user should be able to chose the entire key combination. For example, I have a personal rule that all my homemade universal keyboard shortcuts start with CMD+OPT+CTRL. I do this because I've never come across an app that uses all three of those keys plus a letter for an in-app command. I have a dozen of these I've created in other apps, and every other app I've used that allows you to create your own universal shortcuts allows the user to chose the entire combination (see Fantastical 2 for an example). On the other hand, CMD+OPT+[key] is a pretty common combination within other apps, so it's pretty likely that forcing Enpass users to use CMD+OPT+[key] will cause a conflict in some apps. In Photoshop (at least in an older version I have), CMD+OPT+E is used to merge layers, so I can't use the intuitive CMD+OPT+E (for Enpass) as my shortcut.

2) The universal key command opens the mini-window interface, just like the Menu Bar icon, but it's opened in the middle of the screen. Shouldn't it open from the Menu Bar? Also, strangely ESC does work to close the mini-window when opened with the keyboard shortcut, even though it doesn't work to close the mini-window when opened from the Menu Bar.

3) The mini-window opened via they keyboard shortcut has a box saying [Menu] permanently hovering over the Generate Password button.

To summarize: Universal keyboard shortcut should allow users to select 100% their own keys. The mini-window this shortcut produces should be anchored to the Menu Bar icon. Once in the mini-window (no matter how you got there), ESC should close it, and CMD+E should open the full Enpass window (like it did in the previous build).

Edited by 100 Watt Walrus

MacOS

Really liking some of the changes, but I'm hitting more and more bugs:

- Unlocking the full app takes 3-5 seconds (with a little progress GIF in the middle of the screen). In previous build it was instantaneous.

- I'm unable to sync with my cloud services, even after quitting and relaunching Enpass 6. The last successful sync on all my vaults (two on Google Drive accounts, one on Dropbox) was before I updated to the new build. I don't get an error, instead I get "Last Synchronized: Today at 12:09; Last Attempt: a few seconds ago." In the last build, there were frequent sync problems (Error -113, I think was the code I'd see when it failed to sync in the background), but they could be fixed by quitting and relaunching the app. Now that doesn't work. I'm 100% unable to sync.

- When in the full app, if you CMD+H to hide, it closes the app, and you have to go back to the Menu Bar, open the mini-window, re-select the Menu button, and choose Open Enpass. I'm glad CMD+W was fixed, but CMD+W and CMD+H are not meant to do the same thing.

- When I turned on Use Favicons, several started to show up, but then after a handful of them appeared, it just stopped. As near as I can tell, Enpass gave up trying — and I can tell because when the process started Little Snitch was asking me to OK each connection to each site where Enpass was trying to fetch a favicon, but it only asked me about 3-4 connections, then stopped.

Hi @Gilrich,

20 hours ago, Gilrich said:

Ah cool, is it possible to make this a top level category alongside weak, identical, etc.?

Noted for the further consideration.

20 hours ago, Gilrich said:

Also I realised that all of my "pwned" elements are elements without password.

I've forwarded this issue to the QA team to look into it. Meanwhile, please drop us an email at support@enpass.io mentioning a link to this discussion so that we can take a closer look at this issue.

Thanks for your co-operation.

Hi @100 Watt Walrus

Thanks a lot for sharing your valuable feedback.

14 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

LEFTOVER: After opening the Menu Bar UI, the only way to close it is to click somewhere else on the screen. Standard UX for Menu Bar items is that you should be able to also close them via clicking the Menu Bar icon again, and by ESC key.

Noted for further improvements.

NEW BUG: CMD+E from the Menu Bar mini-window no longer launches full Enpass. You now have to click the "hamburger" menu in the lower left corner of the dropdown. There is now no way to open the full Enpass window with a keyboard shortcut.

Forwarded to the concerned desk.

2) The universal key command opens the mini-window interface, just like the Menu Bar icon, but it's opened in the middle of the screen. Shouldn't it open from the Menu Bar? Also, strangely ESC does work to close the mini-window when opened with the keyboard shortcut, even though it doesn't work to close the mini-window when opened from the Menu Bar.

3) The mini-window opened via they keyboard shortcut has a box saying [Menu] permanently hovering over the Generate Password button.

We'll look into it.

Another bug not fixed from previous version: After entering my password from the mini-window, when I open the full Enpass, I should not have to enter my password a second time. This worked fine in Enpass 5, and was reported in the Enpass 6 Mac thread previously.

11 hours ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

- Unlocking the full app takes 3-5 seconds (with a little progress GIF in the middle of the screen). In previous build it was instantaneous.

Forwarded to the QA team to look into it.

I'm unable to sync with my cloud services, even after quitting and relaunching Enpass 6. The last successful sync on all my vaults (two on Google Drive accounts, one on Dropbox) was before I updated to the new build. I don't get an error, instead I get "Last Synchronized: Today at 12:09; Last Attempt: a few seconds ago." In the last build, there were frequent sync problems (Error -113, I think was the code I'd see when it failed to sync in the background), but they could be fixed by quitting and relaunching the app. Now that doesn't work. I'm 100% unable to sync.

For quick troubleshooting please re-connect the Google Drive sync and let me know if the problem persists.

- When in the full app, if you CMD+H to hide, it closes the app, and you have to go back to the Menu Bar, open the mini-window, re-select the Menu button, and choose Open Enpass. I'm glad CMD+W was fixed, but CMD+W and CMD+H are not meant to do the same thing.

Noted and notified the dev team to look into it.

When I turned on Use Favicons, several started to show up, but then after a handful of them appeared, it just stopped. As near as I can tell, Enpass gave up trying — and I can tell because when the process started Little Snitch was asking me to OK each connection to each site where Enpass was trying to fetch a favicon, but it only asked me about 3-4 connections, then stopped.

We'll look into it.

Hi @WalkingHat 

15 hours ago, WalkingHat said:

It isn't scaling correctly for me on Windows 1809, the top part is cut off.

Please share some more info so that we can look into it.

• Are you facing problem frequently or any specific scenario?
  • What are the scale factor and the screen resolution of your system?

Hi @Axxel H,

Sorry for the trouble you are going through.

18 hours ago, Axxel H said:

On Mac build 220 appears to break most (all?) import options. Importing from 1Password PIF or any of the CSV options (1Password or "Pre-fomatted CSV") returns "Something went wrong, error -9998".

I've done the "clear everything" option from advanced, and attempted to import again no change in behavior. Anything else I should try or am I stuck waiting for the next beta?

I've been looking forward to trying out folder sync, but if I can't move my data in bulk its not practical to test.

The issue has been identified. Our dev team is working into it, and a fix will be available soon.

I appreciate your patience.

Since the very first beta I had the problem that for MOST elements the passwords are not imported when importing from a Enpass5 backup. This problem still persists. It's very severe because passwords are gone and for some there is no option to reset. (crypto wallets)

Edited by Gilrich

4 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

Hi @WalkingHat 

Please share some more info so that we can look into it.

• Are you facing problem frequently or any specific scenario?
  • What are the scale factor and the screen resolution of your system?

This is the only program this is happening in. My resolution is 4k, and my scale factor is 250%.

Thanks!

7 hours ago, Anshu kumar said:

@Axxel H

The issue has been identified. Our dev team is working into it, and a fix will be available soon. 

Thank you, it seems that the cause is the Python wrapper "importer_enpass" binary is corrupted? Is it safe to replace this with a copy from the 187 build in the meantime? Or should I import using Enpass 5 and then export a backup file from there?

Another issue...

When attempting to sync over WebDAV to a Nginx DAV server, Enpass crashes immediately after the PROPFIND request. This is bare Nginx with the DAV extension enabled (not Owncloud/NextCloud) using a config like:

location / {
        dav_methods PUT DELETE MKCOL COPY MOVE;
        dav_ext_methods PROPFIND OPTIONS;
        create_full_put_path on;
         dav_access user:rw;
        autoindex on;
    }

The site works in the OS X Finder, as well as other WebDAV clients, so I do not believe it's a misconfiguration (and, of course, Enpass shouldn't crash in any case).

Hello,

since the first beta on macos and windows, when I create another vault across my primary, I can't sync with DropBox when primary is already synced with DropBox...
Why is that ???

If the vault are linked somehow, it should already be synced... If it's not linked, there is to be a way to activate the sync on the same dropbox account...

Is that a normal functioning way of vault syncing ? If yes, then I don't understand how multiple vault works... and I think I won't use multiple vault because it's not working as I want to use it...

I just want to compartmentalize password : mine and those of my wife...
In the way it works for now, I can't do what I want, so I just have to made some folders and put it in the password of my wife.

What it should be : Primary for all common passowrds (can be empty)
Secondary : all my passwords
Tertiary : all my wife passwords

All 3 vaults have to be synced with the same dropbox account, and should be synced on different dropbox account (user made the choice).

Hi @Axxel H

On 10/6/2018 at 11:45 PM, Axxel H said:

Thank you, it seems that the cause is the Python wrapper "importer_enpass" binary is corrupted? Is it safe to replace this with a copy from the 187 builds in the meantime? 

There is some issue with the previous beta version of Enpass importer. We'll try to push the update soon. 

Or should I import using Enpass 5 and then export a backup file from there?

Yes, you can do so!

Another issue...

When attempting to sync over WebDAV to a Nginx DAV server, Enpass crashes immediately after the PROPFIND request. This is bare Nginx with the DAV extension enabled (not Owncloud/NextCloud) using a config like:

location / {
        dav_methods PUT DELETE MKCOL COPY MOVE;
        dav_ext_methods PROPFIND OPTIONS;
        create_full_put_path on;
         dav_access user:rw;
        autoindex on;
    }

The site works in the OS X Finder, as well as other WebDAV clients, so I do not believe it's a misconfiguration (and, of course, Enpass shouldn't crash in any case).

It' would be a great help if you can share the demo account of your WebDAV via a PM so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

It' would be a great help if you can share the demo account of your WebDAV via a PM so that we can investigate where the problem could be.

Sorry, I don't have a server I can offer public access to. It should be easy to set up the config I posted on any Nginx server.