Enpass Discussion Forum

Full-Time Windows Hello in Enpass 6

tox1c90

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 10:53 PM, Andres said:

Just silence, they don't even bother to say if they're working on it...

Well you know apart from earlier in this thread of course:

If the Enpass team was allowed to get away with being blunt to the question 'When will we get feature X?" it would probably be 'When it is ready', but I am sure that would upset and alienate a significant portion of the user base. The team are working on full Hello integration as well as countless other fixes, improvements and new features, just do not expect them to give a continuous day-by-day blow-by-blow account of every little thing they are doing.  If they did then they would get very little done in the way of actual work. 

Coding for a true multi-platform product must be an absolute nightmare, so give the team some credit for actually taking the decision to do that in the first place, keep the impatience to a minimum and once in a while give them some praise.  Remember it will be ready when it is ready.

7 hours ago, Dentonthebear said:

Well you know apart from earlier in this thread of course:

If the Enpass team was allowed to get away with being blunt to the question 'When will we get feature X?" it would probably be 'When it is ready', but I am sure that would upset and alienate a significant portion of the user base. The team are working on full Hello integration as well as countless other fixes, improvements and new features, just do not expect them to give a continuous day-by-day blow-by-blow account of every little thing they are doing.  If they did then they would get very little done in the way of actual work. 

Coding for a true multi-platform product must be an absolute nightmare, so give the team some credit for actually taking the decision to do that in the first place, keep the impatience to a minimum and once in a while give them some praise.  Remember it will be ready when it is ready.

First, I'm a full stack developer, don't tell me what it costs to make an application because I already know.

Second, they can take as long as they want to implement it, what pisses me off is that when I bought this application one of its main functions was "FULL HELLO SUPPORT" and this is not so. As a buyer, I have the legitimate right to complain that a product is not what its advertising said.

If you don't want to complain about having made it clear that before you had to set the password... When they enable it, I will thank them, but let it be clear that it is understood that this function has already been implemented.

1 hour ago, Andres said:

First, I'm a full stack developer, don't tell me what it costs to make an application because I already know.

Second, they can take as long as they want to implement it, what pisses me off is that when I bought this application one of its main functions was "FULL HELLO SUPPORT" and this is not so. As a buyer, I have the legitimate right to complain that a product is not what its advertising said.

If you don't want to complain about having made it clear that before you had to set the password... When they enable it, I will thank them, but let it be clear that it is understood that this function has already been implemented.

Hi Andres,

Thanks for the feedback, it was informative.

On 5/23/2019 at 3:40 PM, Dentonthebear said:

Do you mean that Enpass should not be sold through the Windows Store?

No, has nothing to do with the store. Store is fine, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the store is my preferred app source - on any platform for a zillion reasons beyond the scope of this thread. AFAIK Enpass chose Qt as their app framework, whereas the previous version was a universal Windows app. Both were/are sold through the store. The version 5.x UWA supported Hello just fine, the newer release 6.x has been a nuisance since day 1.

1 hour ago, Damasta said:

No, has nothing to do with the store. Store is fine, as far as I'm concerned. In fact, the store is my preferred app source - on any platform for a zillion reasons beyond the scope of this thread. AFAIK Enpass chose Qt as their app framework, whereas the previous version was a universal Windows app. Both were/are sold through the store. The version 5.x UWA supported Hello just fine, the newer release 6.x has been a nuisance since day 1.

Thank you for the feedback.

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2019 at 2:49 PM, Damasta said:

UWP sadly has quite some problems with communications outside the own app and I personally would think that more users use the integrations with browsers than Windows Hello so I can understand their decision. Microsoft never bothered to extend UWP to allow for easier communication with other apps AFAIK. But yes...the old UWP app was really good IMO and I really miss full time Hello support. Too bad indeed they scrapped it for legacy Win32.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2019 at 9:32 PM, Andres said:

That's exactly the reason why I'm upset aswell - I reported the problem in January as the Windows Hello support was the only reason for me to buy Enpass. I also told them that promising "full hello support" in Microsoft Store is wrong but until now they didn't even change the description. Unbelievable for me...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Vikram Dabas

On 4/26/2019 at 6:23 AM, Vikram Dabas said:

We would love to provide the Full-time Windows Hello support, but the integration of Hello in Win32 apps isn't quite the same as in UWP apps. Although we have already found a solution and currently our team is working on it. We will release it in the future updates which inevitably makes the things better.

Six month of development on a "found solution" an no word about the progress.
I hope you can understand why people are upset and I hope you can see there is no development in communication. We are still uniformed.

Is this, claimed, feature coming back or not?

Thank you very much for your reply.

Edited by Tillerbach
typo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Doesn't seem like this will ever be addressed in the next years, I think they're working on a new app or something?

Btw this is a post from the Enpass team from June 2016:

To unlock the Enpass keychain, we need master password and thats why you are always prompted to enter that, once the Enpass is exited or killed by OS. So our main fight is to store the master password with the OS in such a way that we can request it anytime after successful authentication of user. Here comes Microsoft Windows Hello into play. It uses TPM hardware (a secure cryptoprocessor) to securely generate and store encryption keys (this is exactly what we need to encrypt our master password). But the keys generated in TPM are asymmetric and for digital signatures, suitable for server/website logins and are not directly suitable for our purpose. The best thing about TPM keys is that they are exposed to requesting App only after successful authorization aided by biometrics. 

We are done with the development part and now doing the security assessment to be sure about protection of keys and understanding behavior of windows systems which don’t have a TPM hardware and use software emulation instead. 

So just bear with us and hopefully we will release it very soon. 

• 3 months later...