Enpass Discussion Forum

Full-Time Windows Hello in Enpass 6

tox1c90

Hi!

I was using Enpass UWP for Windows 10 with full-time Windows Hello enabled, because my computer fulfills all necessary requirements (TPM 2.0, UEFI Secure Boot). So Enpass UWP successfully detected that the machine is secure enough to store the keys in hardware/TPM and use Windows Hello directly on the first launch even after a computer restart or when Enpass UWP was completely closed.

Now with Enpass 6, it is only using the fallback solution of asking for the master password the first time after restart, and using Windows Hello only for subsequent unlocks. I think Enpass 6 is great and a big improvement in many things, but in this particular aspect it feels like kind of a stepback.

So my question is: Will full-time Windows Hello be supported in Enpass 6 again like it was in Enpass UWP for computers which fulfill the necessary requirements for hardware/TPM-based security?

Edited by tox1c90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6

• 2 weeks later...

Yes! Please bring this back. If Android is safe enough to offer this, then I can't imagine Windows 10 not offering the hooks.

Apart from the convenience: I really don't want people to be able read along when I type my master password. So actually one could argue that not offering Windows Hello on the first start-up , could actually be interpreted as a security flaw/risk... ;)  (imagine standing in a crowded metro trying to log into something).

So please bring full-time Hello back, I had got myself a license for the UWP app just to have this!

And @tox1c90 : it's even worse than just after a fresh boot: if you don't leave Enpass running in the task-tray it'll NEVER offer you Windows Hello login :) 

Edited by Moaske
  • Like 5

Hi,

I'm not sure what you mean by "full-time Windows Hello support" … Are you talking about the fact that Enpass needs the master password once after a restart? If yes: I have that on my Surface Book 2 too. That is ultra-annoying. V5 UWP didn't do that. So I need to get my Android Enpass to get the Enpass master password before Windows Hello works again.

That being said, after unlocking Enpass with the master password once, Windows Hello seems to work fine for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that's what I mean. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any response by the developers about this and no information about implementing it back...or at least a reason why it's been removed. It's just annoying having to type in the master password once at the start when you could just use Hello from the start if you have a secure TPM chip.

On 1/11/2019 at 4:17 PM, Stahlreck said:

Yes that's what I mean. Sadly there doesn't seem to be any response by the developers about this and no information about implementing it back...or at least a reason why it's been removed. It's just annoying having to type in the master password once at the start when you could just use Hello from the start if you have a secure TPM chip.

Yep, I bought Pro thinking this version worked like that. It's too disappointing

• 1 month later...

+1

On 12/22/2018 at 2:39 PM, Moaske said:

So please bring full-time Hello back, I had got myself a license for the UWP app just to have this! 

The same is true for me. The main reason for buying the license was unlocking it with Windows Hello. Please adjust the function accordingly.
Thank you very much.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I know it can be inconvenient if you need to enter Master Password after every fresh start of the application. We would love to provide the Full-time Windows Hello support, but the integration of Hello in Win32 apps isn't quite the same as in UWP apps. Although we have already found a solution and currently our team is working on it. We will release it in the future updates which inevitably makes the things better. It's going to take some time until then; we appreciate patience and co-operation.

Thanks.

@Vikram Dabas

Thank you very much for the clarifying word about the topic.

The Enpass page at the Microsoft Store reads:

Though you can buy the one-time in-App purchase for following premium features:
- Windows Hello
- Dark Theme
No further footnote or explanation. There will be buyers who have made their purchase decision because of this feature. The actual integration of the function, then probably deviates from the expectation of the buyer. At least that applies to me. This creates, at least for some customers, a certain expectation. A thread that is ignored for more than 5 months and receives no official statement does not help either.
Please try to understand the disappointed customers
and keep us up to date.

I am very pleased that there is a solution for the problematic development and I am already looking forward to the function. I will continue to use Enpass with pleasure and recommend it at any time.

Hi @Tillerbach

On 4/26/2019 at 9:41 PM, Tillerbach said:

The Enpass page at the Microsoft Store reads:

Though you can buy the one-time in-App purchase for following premium features:
- Windows Hello
- Dark Theme
No further footnote or explanation. There will be buyers who have made their purchase decision because of this feature. The actual integration of the function, then probably deviates from the expectation of the buyer. At least that applies to me. This creates, at least for some customers, a certain expectation. A thread that is ignored for more than 5 months and receives no official statement does not help either.

Thanks for your feedback on the matter.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/27/2019 at 11:02 PM, Dentonthebear said:

From what I understand v6 is written on a completely different platform, so maybe Windows Hello is proving more difficult to integrate than it was in v5.

Indeed. Which means Enpass chose the wrong platform.