Enpass Discussion Forum

Enpass 6.0 - List of constructive criticism (or just criticism)

Numline1

On 1/2/2019 at 1:30 AM, Numline1 said:

2) the all items list (or any other list) keeps randomly refreshing. I have a suspicion this is related to syncing (I'm using WebDAV). I'm scrolling down the list of about 100 entries and the list randomly refreshes, returning back to the top of the list.This is on macOS too

I think you're mistaking a different bug for a random refresh: There was definitely a bug where if you scrolled too fast (i.e., not actually very fast at all, but not slow enough), you'd get bounced back to the top. Worked the other way too: If you scrolled to the bottom, then tried to scroll back up, you'd bounce to the bottom again.

The latest beta build — 6.0.3 (321) — seems to have fixed this.

I haven't seen the random resizing of the window lately either, although the window definitely doesn't stay where you put it.

As for tag handling, I think everyone agrees Enpass almost couldn't have screwed this up any worse. Frankly, I'm stunned it hasn't been a high-priority fix. And every time it's been mentioned on these forums, the Enpass team has ignored it — even when asked directly to comment on the issue.

Enpass 6 should never have been publicly released until this was fixed. It is not user-friendly enough for the general public. I want to install Enpass for my family and several unsavvy computer-users (read: old folks) that I help regularly, but until the tagging system is simple and intuitive enough for the most basic user, it's impossible for me to recommend it.

It's also grossly irresponsible (or a deliberate, underhanded customer-retention scheme?) of Enpass to not include CSV as an export option.

I came to Enpass after trying all the big password manager apps. Enpass was the only one that did the things I wanted. I have started shopping again — and find myself coming back despite Enpass 6 being very much undercooked because it's still the only one that meets some high-priority needs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 100 Watt Walrus said:

I came to Enpass after trying all the big password manager apps. Enpass was the only one that did the things I wanted. I have started shopping again — and find myself coming back despite Enpass 6 being very much undercooked because it's still the only one that meets some high-priority needs.

I am with you 100% - Enpass in version 5.x with many missing things was SO GREAT! I implemented on many of my devices, "sold" to my friends and family. Now, with version 6.x it has more bugs (or bugs-like issues) that I seriously regret it. But again: lack of easy export is the thing...

Guys - devs - here are missing simple idea of KISS.

• Like 1

Not only is v6 maximum bad.

My android version was auto updated and started saving passwords in another database that I cant access from v5.

It is even in a different folder on my Onedrive. (v6 \Apps\Enpass\ vs v5 \Enpass\).

In v5 I received no notice whatsoever that the database had been copied to another location by my android app so I happily continued using it.

I discovered when I was searching everywhere for a password at added while at work (in my phone). I could not find it in my enpass at home until I installed v6 from the store.

I emailed the devs cause I figured this was a bug and since almost two weeks ago they still have not replied.

I had also started a huge cleanup by renaming logins so now I am stuck with two databases.

Each containing mostly the same passwords and logins but some of them with different names which means I cant easily search and verify I have them in the new database.

The old database which is the one I had cleaned up I can no longer access from my android phone so no more taking my passwords with me.

The new database is missing a lot of logins I had manually added in enpass v5 and all the renamed logins are still with the old names.

Cant believe they decided to push v6 down my throat when it screwed over my database like this.

Especially since there was never any notice in v5 that now my logins go in different databases.

Needless to say. Now I am also looking for a new solution. Sucks cause I was really happy with v5 :-(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/29/2019 at 12:32 PM, elmaco said:

Needless to say. Now I am also looking for a new solution. Sucks cause I was really happy with v5 :-(

Really sorry to hear that. This roll-out was definitely mishandled, and v6 is definitely not ready for prime time. I wonder what the rush was to get it out before it was stable and had a clear, simple path for upgrading?

Personally, I don't allow Android to auto-update. When I see new updates on my most important apps, I copy of the current APK before downloading, so I can do my own rollback if I don't like the update. That might not have worked in this case through, vis a vis the database rewrite. :(

If it is too difficult to add the export via CSV functionality into Enpass 6 then perhaps the devs will agree to create a mini app that will export the database in csv format (For the users that are not happy with Enpass 6).  

I personally dont mind Enpass 6, Im going to keep using it.  Since I am a linux and android user I have not had any troubles 

Hi Everyone,

Sincere apologies that the Enpass v6 update made you unhappy.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

As for tag handling, I think everyone agrees Enpass almost couldn't have screwed this up any worse. Frankly, I'm stunned it hasn't been a high-priority fix. And every time it's been mentioned on these forums, the Enpass team has ignored it — even when asked directly to comment on the issue.

@100 Watt Walrus

We have improved the Tags management in the previous release v6.0.3 where you would be able to create nested tags with the same name, i.e. like Folders in Enpass v5. But we would like to hear more from you, so hopefully, we can enhance it and makes it fit for most of our users.

On 1/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, 100 Watt Walrus said:

It's also grossly irresponsible (or a deliberate, underhanded customer-retention scheme?) of Enpass to not include CSV as an export option.

I have passed this to our team to see if we could have this feature in the future.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:02 AM, elmaco said:

It is even in a different folder on my Onedrive. (v6 \Apps\Enpass\ vs v5 \Enpass\).

@elmaco The new Enpass v6 syncs the data into the designated App folder on the cloud, unlike it, used to do in the root folder for OneDrive, and Google Drive. It's done to restrict the access of Enpass to its app folder only rather than to the Root folder of drive; to which some of our users raised concerns in v5.

The new database is missing a lot of logins I had manually added in enpass v5 and all the renamed logins are still with the old names.

We have mentioned restoring v5 data into v6 in this  FAQ.

Sorry to hear that. We'll continue improving the app so it can meet the needs of as many users as possible.

17 hours ago, Vikram Dabas said:

We have improved the Tags management in the previous release v6.0.3 where you would be able to create nested tags with the same name, i.e. like Folders in Enpass v5. But we would like to hear more from you, so hopefully, we can enhance it and makes it fit for most of our users.

Hi Vikram,

While the nested tags are an improvement...

a) they're not user-friendly (users have to learn the use-a-colon trick from somewhere)

b) the bigger issue (to me anyway, but I get the impression it's big for everyone) is that when adding tags to an Item, there's no auto-complete

As I've mentioned previously, if you have a tag called "Utilities" you have to type the whole thing every time. And because you can't scroll through the sidebar (categories, tags, etc.) when in edit mode, it's impossible to see the names of your exiting tags while trying to type them in. So it's really easy to accidentally end up with multiple tags that were meant to be the same thing: "Utilities" and "Utility" (because you didn't remember your original tag was plural, not singular) and "Utlities"(because you made a typo).

This is only compounded by the nested tags "improvement": Did I call that nested tag "Utilities:Power" or "Utilities:Electric"? Without being able to scroll the sidebar — and more importantly, without auto-complete options — the only thing one can do is save the Item, then drag it to the correct tag in the sidebar, which is an extra step that shouldn't be necessary.

On top of that, there are two more problems that compound the issue:

1) It's not possible to drag any item that isn't active (highlighted in blue), so there's an extra click involved (not a big deal, but I know this isn't normal behavior because I've never had this problem in any other app)

2) When you do drag the Item to the sidebar, it's not being put in the Tag that you're pointing to with your cursor, but rather the one below it:

842578683_2019-02-01Enpassdraggingbug.jpg.e170172deb42a8bc62fc9c1c4f7a8eed.jpg

Of these problems — all of which need fixing, and most of which I feel shouldn't have made it out of beta — in my view the auto-complete is the most important (and unfortunately probably the most work for your team). If I'm adding a tag and type "Uti" and Enpass offers the auto-complete option "Utilities" because that tag already exists — that's saves a lot of hassle.

But as I say, all of these are important, and many of them are due to the fact that the UI has been redesigned to work across a bunch of platforms, instead of having a Mac-like app for the Mac, an Android-like app for Android, etc. In Enpass 5 (for Mac anyway), editing an Item took place in a child window, and it was possible to scroll the sidebar in the parent window behind it. But in the new design, opening Edit makes it impossible to do anything else in the app. It's not even possible to open the preferences when in Edit mode.

Having been part of UI/UX teams, I definitely understand the instinct to try to make one UI that works everywhere. It's a tremendous time-saver and makes both the design and QA processes much easier. But when it makes the app user-unfriendly, you end up shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm a big proponent of Enpass, which is why I'm so active in these forums, and why you'll see me both criticizing and defending. But I don't recommend Enpass to anyone else at this point because compound issues like this make it difficult to use — and I run into issues like this every day.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2019 at 6:26 AM, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi Everyone,

@100 Watt Walrus

I have passed this to our team to see if we could have this feature in the future.

@elmaco The new Enpass v6 syncs the data into the designated App folder on the cloud, unlike it, used to do in the root folder for OneDrive, and Google Drive. It's done to restrict the access of Enpass to its app folder only rather than to the Root folder of drive; to which some of our users raised concerns in v5.

Sorry to hear that. We'll continue improving the app so it can meet the needs of as many users as possible.

Just put v5.6.3 back and end this fiasco.

On 1/31/2019 at 11:26 PM, Vikram Dabas said:

Hi Everyone,

@100 Watt Walrus

I appreciate your explanations, but you missed the obvious solution to many of the issues: *user selection*. Ok, some users "had concerns" with cloud file placement? Add a user selection, so we can move the file to the folder of our choice.

And for the love of all that is holy, why did you not simply add a compatibility mode to allow V6 users to continue using the former file format? I get it- the old format is "less secure". You know what? I DON'T CARE. I'd rather have a little less security and be able to use all of my devices than better security and only be able to use some of them. Now I can't use Enpass on my Windows Phones, so about half of my devices can no longer access my password management system. A compatibility mode would have let me use both V5 and V6 on my devices interchangeably until I phased out the older devices.

When MS Office switched formats in 2007, they left users with the ability to read and write both old or new formats TO THIS DAY, 12 years later, because they understand format changes aren't something you do overnight.

If you left a "V5 compatibility mode", half of the complaints here would disappear- desktop users could retain V5 and it's better UI/feature set, and those of us stuck with both versions could manage.

On 2/1/2019 at 1:09 PM, Pedro Bat said:

@Vikram Dabas no need to continue improving the app, there's something more urgent to do: a export feature or utility that allows users to move out of enpass the same way you allow them to move in (csv export with folder/tags structure information), that's all!

seriously I will would pay you directly for that

You can use free desktop version of Safe-in-Cloud to take all data from Enpass v6 and then either stay with SafeInCloud or export to any other app.

safeincloud takes json file from enpass 6 perfectly 

• Like 1

For anyone interested, I wrote a quick script to convert the Enpass 6 JSON export into a CSV. I looked at Safe-in-Cloud but preferred something I can run locally (you just need Node.js)

https://github.com/migvill/enpass-to-csv

I only read in the basic logins, I don't use Enpass for creditcards, etc so I haven't tested for that. It's not perfect but I was able to successfully use it to migrate to Lastpass since V6 is too buggy

I might come back if it gets better again

Cheers

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, leumig said:

For anyone interested, I wrote a quick script to convert the Enpass 6 JSON export into a CSV. I looked at Safe-in-Cloud but preferred something I can run locally (you just need Node.js)

I only read in the basic logins, I don't use Enpass for creditcards, etc so I haven't tested for that. It's not perfect but I was able to successfully use it to migrate to Lastpass since V6 is too buggy

Cheers

leumig you're awesome! thanks for sharing this.

do you know how to have the script getting the folder name of each entry?

10 hours ago, leumig said:

Cheers

Really great! Might come in handy.

Edited by Meister

• 7 months later...

I have only been using Enpass this past year. At first it worked great. Now Aug and Sept 2019 it just uses up all my Mac Pro Energy and so I had to delete it. There must have been some update the beginning of August as prior to this I thought it worked fine. If they get the energy consumption on a Mac Pro fixed I would go back to using Enpass.

Cheers

CEB

I want to jump into this thread!  My biggest problem is that I LIKE ENPASS and I WANT TO CONTINUE WITH IT, but I want action taken on the bugs.  Some of these bugs are so simple (IMO) that it should embarrass hardcore coders.

IMPORT does not work correctly.  Doesn't import the items exactly as the spreadsheet shows.

When I add a username/password MANUALLY in the browser extension, I CAN NOT add tags because there is no entry box!!  Requires me to EDIT the entry I just added.

Exporting all of your stored records from Enpass.  I see where you guys bitched about this until they added the feature.  But guess what it does NOT export?  THE TAGS! That should be an embarrassing oversight to whoever coded the export routine.

Other issues:

Enpass does not autofill with MY Android Chrome, although it works fine with Firefox and Opera on Android.

Enpass browser extension loses communication with the desktop application and returns an error message stating that it can't find the desktop app.  Exit out and restart and it works ok.

All of these small bugs scare me about the strength and accuracy of the encryption routine used in enpass.

Edited by loveworksdotcom

Hello @loveworksdotcom,

Thanks for sharing your inputs.

The "import with .csv" issue is already highlighted with our QA team. We will share an update about it soon. 

9 hours ago, loveworksdotcom said:

Enpass does not autofill with MY Android Chrome, although it works fine with Firefox and Opera on Android.

We have fixed bugs with Enpass auto-fill functionality and the improved functionality will be available in latest Beta update which will be rolled out soon!

9 hours ago, loveworksdotcom said:

Enpass browser extension loses communication with the desktop application and returns an error message stating that it can't find the desktop app.  Exit out and restart and it works ok.

Please ensure that Enpass application is running in background and you have the latest browser extension installed. If you still face any issue, please write to support@enpass.io along with the details (OS version, Enpass and extension version).

Thanks!