Enpass Discussion Forum

Open multiple vaults

frostsake

+1

I know it's already on the roadmap, but I still would like to +1 this feature!
Really loving Enpass, also bought the mobile app, which is working fine! Multiple vaults, so I can use a shared vault for work and a personal one for my private stuff would really be great. I would even pay for it as of a pro feature!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

+1

Hi all,

Enpass=great tool. It took me a long time to find a product like this.

But according to the previous writers, the feature for opening multiple vaults (including open different vaults simultaniously and in the mobile APP) is very important for me too. I'm very willing to pay extra money for it as a pro feature.

Many thanks for your good developent work enpass team :)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Enpass is my pick of all the cross platform password managers out there, mainly because it's NOT web based. However while it works perfectly for a single user, multi vault support for teams is not that great.

There are basically two options for multi users: allow different permission levels access to a single vault, or allow multiple vaults. While permission levels is more elegant, it's much more complex to implement and possibly less secure. Multiple vaults is pretty much a no-brainer both in terms of implementation and operational procedure.

The portable version currently offers multiple vaults, but in all versions (portable and not), the automated sync is locked to a single vault, named  Walletx.db. If sync is set up in the portable version, the currently-opened vault just overwrites the single sync (Walletx.db) file when syncing is performed.

This leaves us with the option of storing vaults directly on dropbox or other sync tool. However the portable version holds the config file open for the entire time the program is open, leading to multiple file conflicts if two people open a shared vault at once. I'm trying it now, and it's pretty ugly. So ... the sync feature works great but still restricts us to a single vault, even for portable.

The clearly easiest solution is to allow the user to create a named vault, and use the OS file associations to link that to Enpass, so that opening a vault is just like opening a Word document. Then, make the sync feature use the name of the vault that was specified by the user. Hey presto: multiple vault sync! This would also do away with the screen at the start of Portable that many people have complained about. That should be a 'recently opened' list in the 'open' dialog or menu item.

I know this is not trivial, but it does seem like a pretty minor update to the functionality (speaking as a developer), and the easiest way forward for now. I eagerly await this feature: I'm trying hard to bed in Enpass in my non-profit (ie. low budget) organisation, but there's only so much inconvenience the users can take!

I have looked at *every* other option and they are either clearly less secure or unreasonably expensive (and I'd happily pay for Enpass, but either a one-off payment or annual subscription of less than $100 for 10-user blocks would be the way I'd like to do it).

Thanks for listening.

Edited by Ben McIntyre

Registered to give +1.

I'm LastPass premium user looking for an alternative, they ruined everything with the last update. I tried Enpass and loved it, and would buy a pro/premium version for this feature.

Hi Guys,

On 5/18/2017 at 2:10 PM, Ben McIntyre said:

Enpass is my pick of all the cross platform password managers out there, mainly because it's NOT web based. However while it works perfectly for a single user, multi vault support for teams is not that great.

There are basically two options for multi users: allow different permission levels access to a single vault, or allow multiple vaults. While permission levels is more elegant, it's much more complex to implement and possibly less secure. Multiple vaults is pretty much a no-brainer both in terms of implementation and operational procedure.

The portable version currently offers multiple vaults, but in all versions (portable and not), the automated sync is locked to a single vault, named  Walletx.db. If sync is set up in the portable version, the currently-opened vault just overwrites the single Walletx.db file when syncing is performed.

This leaves us with the option of storing vaults directly on dropbox or other sync tool. However the portable version holds the config file open for the entire time the program is open, leading to multiple file conflicts if two people open a shared vault at once. I'm trying it now, and it's pretty ugly. So ... the sync feature works great but still restricts us to a single vault, even for portable.

The clearly easiest solution is to allow the user to create a named vault, and use the OS file associations to link that to Enpass, so that opening a vault is just like opening a Word document. Then, make the sync feature use the name of the vault that was specified by the user. Hey presto: multiple vault sync! This would also do away with the screen at the start of Portable that many people have complained about. That should be a 'recently opened' list in the 'open' dialog or menu item.

I know this is not trivial, but it does seem like a pretty minor update to the functionality (speaking as a developer), and the easiest way forward for now. I eagerly await this feature: I'm trying hard to bed in Enpass in my non-profit (ie. low budget) organisation, but there's only so much inconvenience the users can take! I have looked at *every* other option and they are either clearly less secure or unreasonably expensive (and I'd happily pay for Enpass, but either a one-off payment or annual subscription for 10-user blocks would be the way I'd like to do it).

Thank you so much for your suggestion and detailed explanation. I have noted down your suggestion and we will take into consideration.

On 5/19/2017 at 1:08 AM, Ilsa said:

Is there any update on this?  There's clearly demand for this feature. 

On 5/19/2017 at 3:27 PM, Boom said:

Registered to give +1.

I'm LastPass premium user looking for an alternative, they ruined everything with the last update. I tried Enpass and loved it, and would buy a pro/premium version for this feature.

I know you guys have been waiting for multi vault feature for a long time but is gonna take some more time and will be available to you in the next major update (Enpass 6). Till then I request you to please co-operate with us.

• 5 weeks later...

This is the only feature missing that is stopping me from switching from 1password. With their recent push to try subscriptionize everything it has turned me off them quite a bit.

I currently use 3 vaults: 'Personal Passwords', 'Work Passwords' & 'Shared Passwords with the wife'. All syncing to Dropbox and the 'Shared with the wife' one being in a shared folder she can see.

I am greatly looking forward to Version 6 if it lets me do something similar!

I've been waiting for this too...and I'm sure when it's available it'll be great.  Enpass is truly a user driven utility application.  The developers "actually" do their best to make the product the end user wants.  When bugs are found and reported, they're squashed quickly with an update.  I went from KeyPass to Enpass and never looked back.  Best $10 I've spent on an app, and I do my best to promote Enpass for both its quality app and developers.  Just wanted to express my appreciation as an end user.  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

+1

I was trying enpass and I like it.
It is very important for me to share vaults.
I'm using 1Password right now, but they totally fail with the restriction, not be able to save a vault in the cloud.
Once you implement the new feature, we will switch to enpass ;-).

Thanks

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Akash Vyas

Hello @RouL

Thanks for writing in.

At the moment I can't assure you of any ETA for Enpass 6, but we believe that the beta for all platforms would be there by the end of this year.

Thanks for your patience.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Same here, currently evaluating all bigger solutions for a small team of 5. Enpass just isnt fit for this right now. The first and most simple criteria is to have a "open other / recent vault" option. Not there. I do not care about the "sharing" aspect, I know how to place files so the appropriate people have read/write access to it. 1Password is also not fit enough as the support on Windows an in parts on Android is just not on par with their main iOS solution. That just leaves Dashlane (4€/u/m), LastPass (4$/u/m) and KeePass (i seriously hate the data structure). At least an additional item to switch between different vaults would be a great beginning.

As much as I wait for this feature, for now we manage multiple password stores with Enpass Portable. It's only half the fun since browser integration is bound to the main Enpass instance but for us it's still better than the cloud solutions and the very 1980's KeyPass look and feel.

Btw: I'm still a huge fan of this approach: 

Guest Akash Vyas

Hey guys, 

I know that you've been waiting for this feature for a long time now and we appreciate the patience. Our dev team is already on toes to get the multi-vaults added in the next major update Enpass 6. Meanwhile, we also have to make sure that nothing important is left out for current version. So, it might take a while, but I can assure you that it'll be worth the wait.

Cheers!     

• 1 month later...